The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Follow Your Heart – Very Puzzling Tactics

Home Forums Horse Racing Follow Your Heart – Very Puzzling Tactics

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

Appeared to improve for forcing the pace last time – shouldn’t we have expected the same again?

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

He did do better front-running last time, but that was over 2m5f as opposed to today’s extended 3m.

I took today’s tactics to be either a tacit admission that connections are still worried he’d not stay that far from the very front, or else a conscious decision to avoid getting involved in a destructive early battle with confirmed trailblazer Ashgreen (notwithstanding that one was ultimately headed as early as the fourth fence in practice).

I’d certainly prefer a return to the trip and tactics of his last run when we see him next.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

Maybe I should have said ‘puzzling choice of race’?

It was actually a step up in trip but still short of three miles. The horse has proved to be a huge disappointment when held up so given the improvement last time it still seems either strange/poor planning not to find a contest where he could employ similar tactics. Any confidence derived from the win has probably gone west.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Ah right, I’m with you. And yes, it was an extended 2m7f, not extended 3m. Schoolboy error from Mr Column.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Ah! schoolboy errors where would we all be without them?! :oops: :wink:

Colin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.