The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

first view of cheltenham

Home Forums Horse Racing first view of cheltenham

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SirHarryLewisSirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

I was at cheltenham for the first time in my life last weekend and after years of watching it on the box.  Funny how it looks so different when you get there but was not not dissapointed by the standard of the racing and the excitment the place seems to generate.

There were two things however I was less then enthralled by.  This thing of people in high vis jackets everywhere telling you not to bring your pint (which was in a plastic container) into the seating area overhead (which makes some sense) or on to the tarmac in front of the stands.  

This kinda thing doesnt happen at leopardstown at christmas and in general I kinda felt like I was being watched a little too carefully …..like i was a football supporter about to launch a missile into the field of play at any moment.

The other thing is that with 17000 people there last weekend the place seemed pretty full, so is it really designed to take the crowd it recieves in March.  It almost doesnt seem safe. Sounds stressfull.

SHL

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Sir Harry, try visiting the Queens Hotel on Thursday night – then you’ll see what crowdings all about!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

Quote: from Mounty on 7:45 pm on Jan. 30, 2007[br]Sir Harry, try visiting the Queens Hotel on Thursday night – then you’ll see what crowdings all about!

I met some guy working in restaurant Broche who was from Spain.  He said he couldnt figure out what language most of the people who came to the festival were speaking.

SHL

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

I love going to Queens…My famiily used to own it….

Cheltenham is not the only racecourse with drink restrictions…..

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Im glad that racecourses have drinking restrictions……. more should IMO. Im fed up of trying to watch a race near the rails with people jumping up and down just because they have had £2 on a 1/4 winner chucking half of their pint over me.

There is far to much of a drinking culture at our racecourses these days. You go to Newmarket (any meeting) about 40% of the people there are there to get smashed, they don’t care about the racing. The stewards don’t care where people drink and then you get people with ‘kegs’ on their back sometimes trying to firce you to buy a pint.

There are plenty of places at cheltenham to drink and drink as much as you like, but i for one am glad thay have places where people can’t drink.

I don’t think that is bad at all.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

Quote: from Stormont on 10:09 pm on Jan. 30, 2007[br]Im glad that racecourses have drinking restrictions……. more should IMO. Im fed up of trying to watch a race near the rails with people jumping up and down just because they have had £2 on a 1/4 winner chucking half of their pint over me.

There is far to much of a drinking culture at our racecourses these days. You go to Newmarket (any meeting) about 40% of the people there are there to get smashed, they don’t care about the racing. The stewards don’t care where people drink and then you get people with ‘kegs’ on their back sometimes trying to firce you to buy a pint.

There are plenty of places at cheltenham to drink and drink as much as you like, but i for one am glad thay have places where people can’t drink.

I don’t think that is bad at all.<br>

I see your point Stormont but my point is that a racemeetings shouldnt need such restrictions and most of the ones ive been to dont.  

Also, do meetings where a smaller crowd turn up still have these restrictions….like for example the Hunter Chase meeting at cheltenham??

(Edited by SirHarryLewis at 5:44 pm on Jan. 31, 2007)

SHL

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello

racinggirluk:

"I love going to Queens…My family used to own it…. "

I lost a smashing pair of Binoculars in the Queens in 1989…The Wednesday, I believe…Did any one hand them in ??? …:cheesy:

Having said that, the Queens assisted in me losing my wife and a considerable chunk of my liver….

And dancing round the main lounge with the guy that owned Dunnes Stores whilst he was wearing a Australian Bush Hat with Corks was most disconcerting..

Anyway, the Therapy has helped….:(

regards,

doyley

Seven TowersSeven Towers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 607

Newbury has restrictions on drinking too. I was there for my stag do Autumn 05 (I know one of those horrid Stag Do’s cluttering up the place,) and I was told I couldn’t drink a beer in front of the stands, I’d been seperated from everyone else and was wandering around dressed as a jockey with an enormous hat and a bullwhip which would have done more damage than a plastic pint pot half full of beer would do but rules are rules. I told the security guy that I would put it in a bin in the distance when I had finished drinking it. He asked how he would know I was going to actually chuck it away, and I said if he walked over to the bin with me I would drink as I went and throw any leftovers away when I got there. Needless to say by the time we got to the bin it was all gone and I popped the empty plastic pint pot in it. The lad turned to me and said "thank you very much sir" and traipsed back to his spot. One of the few things I can remember from the day apart from not winning anything. Degas Art was my big shout of the day to anyone who would listen and he got stuffed. I reckon it was a premonition for the Triumph Hurdle. I’ll have a couple of quid on him just in case. It is possible to drink an inordinate amount and not behave like a cretin, I think for most the alcohol is a convenient excuse!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.