The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

First Juvenile Hurdle of the Season

Home Forums Horse Racing First Juvenile Hurdle of the Season

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    The Eye Of Sauron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

In May for heaven’s sake (Stratford on Sunday).

Used to be at Bangor end of July.

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Tom won’t be happy :wink:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Saw one at Auteuil on Sunday – a nice listed contest, all the runners had had at least two starts.

Only a problem having them this early if they aren’t schooled properly (which seems to be the main problem).

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Looking at the entries, Evan Williams (nap)

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

More jumps action.

:D :D :D

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Yes the welfare of the horse is diminishing all the time.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

i was part of the syndicate that had Middleham Rose who third in the first juvinile hurdle race of that year, it was run at Straford 11/07/2004.

It was a bog awful affair, frankly why bother. It put me off running horss over hurdles under the age of four frankly i would rather see NH horses be banned from running until the start of their four yearold national hunt season so they at least four and a half. To much too soon. I am all for schooling horses, the french school theirs from yearlings.

French style hurdles and the abolishment of juvinile hurdlers would help matters allot.

Plus it would would put the mockers on those trainers who buy three years from flat yards at the autumn sales, geld them send them hurdlingin the same season after not allot of schooling. For crying out loud, geld them if you must, but turn them away at a livery or schooling yard and get them properly schooled, bring them back on the flat or the following atumn having had a good rest and decent eduction in jumping.

The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

The early juvenile hurdles can throw up some decent hurdlers, who seem to thrive on fast ground and an opportunity to win some weak races.

Of the horses who regularly contested the early juvenile races two seasons ago, I can think of Callisto Moon (recent 2nd in competetive Sandown handicap hurdle), Tension Point (winner of a non-juvenile handicap hurdle), Soliya (likewise) and Silmi (who remains consistent in handicaps). And of course Katchit the year before!

If they take to it, such early hurdling experience doesn’t seem to scar.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

The early juvenile hurdles can throw up some decent hurdlers, who seem to thrive on fast ground and an opportunity to win some weak races.

Of the horses who regularly contested the early juvenile races two seasons ago, I can think of Callisto Moon (recent 2nd in competetive Sandown handicap hurdle), Tension Point (winner of a non-juvenile handicap hurdle), Soliya (likewise) and Silmi (who remains consistent in handicaps). And of course Katchit the year before!

If they take to it, such early hurdling experience doesn’t seem to scar.

Silmi was a winner the other day at Cartmel.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

The atrican rate is hellish, I am not a fan of english hurdles anyway, but see horses who are cluesless on the art of jumping getting their legs battered makes my bloody boil.
    Frankly its a welfare issue, its time too see juvinile novice hurles sent the way of yearling races.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

There’s nothing wrong with running a 3yo in hurdles Yorkshire Pudding it’s our idiot, stupid trainers who don’t school them properly that are at fault.

Don’t have any problems with running 3yos in them in France, indeed Temple Lord was having his third start in them when winning at Auteuil on Sunday.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.