The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fings wot I am going to do one day….

Home Forums Lounge Fings wot I am going to do one day….

Viewing 2 posts - 18 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3956

The history of ITV and all its regional franchises is very interesting. They were almost all eventually bought up Granada and Carlton in ITV PLC. I think only STV and Grampian are still independent. Even Channel Television and Ulster Television have been bought up, although Ulster is still shown as UTV on screen.

In London, Thames and LWT had a fraught relationship and even refused to promote each other’s programmes for a while.

Then there was Television Wales and West (TWW) which was so furious when it lost its franchise to HTV that it quit six months early and before HTV was ready to launch, forcing ITV’s board to cobble together a stopgap service.

I grew up in Granada Land but once a year we would visit relatives in Devon. Back then the region was served by Westward Television, which sounded so much nicer than its replacement Television South West:

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2928

Sale Of the century was hosted by the late Nicholas Parsons who also hosted the radio program Just A Minute until 2018. He also was the voice behind Tex Tucker on the very early Gerry Anderson’s Four Feathers Fall. Which aired on Granada.

Viewing 2 posts - 18 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.