The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fings wot I am going to do one day….

Home Forums Lounge Fings wot I am going to do one day….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5644

When I was young in the 1960s and 1970s it was a time of various weird and wonderful TV Series which I never fully said understood as a child and probably no one cares about any more (apart from me).

I shall obtain dvd box sets of the following and endeavour to figure out what the F was going on and follow to them to their denouement.

– The Prisoner

– UFO

– Space 1999

There are others, including a series I’m pretty sure wasn’t the best but did have IMO one of the all-time great theme tunes (but then John Barry was a genius), namely The Persuaders.

Now I’m a great believer that there’s never any great rush, but hopefully this thread will serve as a reminder to me to actually crack on with this list at some point as it’s a list that’s been in existence now for some, err, YEARS.

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 940

I loved Space 1999 when I was a kid too. There was one particular episode about a tentacled creature with one huge, green eye. It sucked members of the crew into a huge orifice and spat them out seconds later like freeze-dried husks. Pretty damn scary for a 70s kid!
    Season 2 seemed better with the introduction of Maya.

However, my favourite was Wonder Woman starring the heart-stoppingly beautiful Lynda Carter. Jeez … how I fantasized about being caught up in her lasso :heart:

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3956

UFO was repeated quite recently on the now defunct Forces TV channel.

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2928

Loved The Prisoner, but never understood it. What do you want. Information. You won’t get it.

A favourite quotation of the show and true especially on here.

I’d like Tomorrow People when I was a kid and a few years back managed to get my hands on the box set. Some of the story’s in the early seasons weren’t bad for children TV. However the acting and special effects not so.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5644

Loved the theme to The Tomorrow People – that’s another that’s got to get on the list.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4592

The Prisoner was a follow on from Dangerman who was a NATO secret agent and The Prisoner was conceived when Patrick McGoohan left the former after 49 half hour episodes. Dangerman came out in 62 and seemed a bit more real than the Saint. For five bob you could be a life time member of the Saint Club. It sounded a bit like a click to me and 5 shillings wasn’t exactly nothing back then. 56 actors acted both in Dangerman and the Prisoner.
    They showed a Dangerman episode on regular TV quite recently. It seemed very dated however Patrick McGoohan was still a captivating watch.I remember watching some episodes of The Prisoner but missed many.
    Bagpuss came out in 74 – I was not a fan.

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2725

I have the Bagpuss box set on DVD.

So **** all you haters.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4592

I seem to have replied to Bagpuss in the wrong section – in the sport section. :scratch:

Here it is…

I think that is not what I meant. I did watch Bagpuss from time to time and have to say I enjoyed it as much as or possibly more than the Magic Roundabout which again I watched very occasionally and it was just before the BBC six o clock news. Bagpuss had a surreal quality and the voice was very good. I did not watch a lot of TV at all around that time. I never said to myself Bagpuss is on I must watch it. I will at some time re-watch and reappraise if that is possible. As I remember it was a shop of lost toys that came to life after dark. That in itself is the basis of a good story. Writing I am not a fan was not the right sentiment- possibly gamble wrote those words – he has a habit of interfering.

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 400

I remember all those you mention too Ian with my favourite being The Prisoner
    Space 1999 was always a bit of a stretch …..a wandering moon in space,no resources to draw on except what they may scavenge from passing planets etc.However much damage the base or equipment or indeed the personnel who died but next episode it was all bright & shiny with seeming limitless people to replace the ones lost ……I could never figure it out?
    You will find all three on what used to be the Horror channel (never sure why it was called that) now renamed Legend.
    McGoohan if I remember correctly had much more to do with the making of The Prisoner besides being the lead as I recall wasn’t he the producer but also dabbled in writing scripts & directing?
    good luck to all

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8490

Bet none of you have seen Pathfinders in Space.

Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1975

Tomorrow People is available as a box set? Now you’re talking! I’ve recently re-watched The Champions & Randall & Hopkirk (deceased). Both still entertaining. Not so Hazell. Remember watching it as a teen & lapped it up. Repeated on Drama recently and it’s absolutely woeful. Acting, script, plot (if there is one). Dreadful TV. Survivors on the other hand (original Terry Nation series, not the lamentable remake). Cracking series. Very white, middle class BBC Drama but, as we now know, these are the sorts statisically most likely to survive!

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13844

Do you remember Lost In Space Ian, that’s also available in a box set now.
    That creepy Dr. Zachary Smith was always up to no good trying to sabotage the spacecraft.

If you’ve never watched Foyle’s War I could highly recommend putting that on the list. I bought my husband
    the full box set for his birthday last year and we were hooked. I completely missed it the first time round.

One or two kitchen sink dramas I would like to relive…
    the original Bouquet Of Barbed Wire with Trevor Eve, Frank Finlay and the Men’s Room with the fabulous Bill Nighy.
    Possibly more of a woman’s thing way back then I guess but still edgy stuff…Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2928

That would be the original 1970’s series of Tomorrow People, Tonge. Not the rebooted 90’s series or the American attempt. All 8 series, while the first 3 and probably best are available on Britbox. Also have both series of Catweazle, if anyone remembers that.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5644

I was always aware my Dad was first-generation middle class, a gigantic snob (he read Jilly Cooper’s “Class” and took it semi seriously!) and thought BBC was intellectually superior to ITV.

But even now I’m still realising how much that shaped my TV watching in my youth.

I watched and loved Doctor Who and later watched Blake’s Seven.

But not The Tomorrow People – which is so similar – which I was aware of but only this week have started watching on YouTube.

I never saw Catweazle either for the same reason.

ITV was very interesting back then, with every region commissioning or acquiring its own material and putting its regional stamp on it before each broadcast.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3956

“ITV was very interesting back then, with every region commissioning or acquiring its own material and putting its regional stamp on it before each broadcast.”

ITV has never been the same since it adopted a bland generic look at the expense of its regional identities.

I expect anyone under 30 in the North West must wonder why the regional news programme is called “Granada Reports”.

I miss seeing the red illuminated “Granada TV” sign in Manchester. It was a real landmark but was removed about 10 years ago.

Anglia TV had the best on screen ident, played before “Sale Of The Century”: “From Norwich, it’s the quiz of the week!”

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5644

100% agree – the regions were clearly proud of their flagship products too, Anglia made sure everyone knew Sale Of The Century was “from Norwich” every week.

Regional ITV produced/acquired some cracking diverse material in its hey-day.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2673

I remember watching re-runs of both Lost in Space and Land of the Giants at my gran’s on a Sunday afternoon in the 1980s. Think this was on C4. Due to our situation we could not get C4 at home in the early days :unsure:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.