Fillies' Mile 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Fillies' Mile 2019

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Mike007 1 day, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8626

Was discussing this race with hein on Notebook section of DL&P’s and noticed a Thread hadn’t been started yet so copied over my thoughts on some of the top players and a couple of possible good each way bets that may spring a surprise…

QUADRILATERAL
    Holds a 1000 Guineas entry and she will not be inconvenienced by the ground having won on both Good/Soft and Good. She has to step up in class and distance here and it is a big step from Class 2 to a Group 1 contest, I don’t think she will have any trouble staying the stiff mile. Just a concern that she didn’t beat too much in her last race and might have been flattered by her winning distance, she did all that she could. To her advantage is that both her runs have been on a straight 7 furlongs whereas Love and Cayenne Pepper have run all their races in Ireland on turning tracks so there could be a question mark as to how they will handle Newmarket.
    POWERFUL BREEZE
    Is my least fancied of the big players, she has a very flat action so may not go on the ground and she doesn’t seem to have beaten anything progressive, her win on the straight mile at Doncaster last time out was won in an extremely slow time and I think others must be preffered here.
    LOVE
    Now it starts to get difficult because Aiden O’Brien has laid Love out for this race stating that he had kept her back at 7furlongs in Ireland before stepping her up to 1 mile in this race so she cannot be underestimated.
    She has been beaten at The Curragh in a Group 2 over 7furlongs on Yielding ground where she ran 5th to Alpine Star trained by Mrs John Harrington(Cayenne Pepper) before going on to win her latest Group 1 at The Curragh in fine style from Daahyeh and so wonderful..If the ground changes to Good I think she has a great chance.
    CAYENNE PEPPER – By one of my favourite sires Australia (Ouija Board :heart: ) this filly seems to go on any ground and providing she handles the track she is going to be the main danger here and Mrs John Harrington has a good idea what she has to do here to keep Cayenne Pepper’s unbeaten record in tact. I think this is the horse to beat on Friday. :good:

Having to step up in class from their Cl.2 race at Newmarket two weeks ago…
    QUEEN DAENERYS
    A beautiful Frankel filly with a huge powerful stride if she could take the leap up to win a Group 1 from the back of this race (which I think she could) then she is a good each way bet at 16/1. I think she held off the challenge of Wasaayef in fine fashion and with her white blaze and four white socks she is very reminiscent of her dad more especially in her action.

Wasaayef herself cannot be discounted as she was carrying a 6lb penalty when second to Queen Daenarys but both have to make a hefty step up.
    A great race in prospect..Jac :rose:

Cayenne Pepper 3/1 WIN
    Queen Daenerys 16/1 – Each Way

If the ground changes to Good or better then LOVE will be the danger :heart:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 698

I’m on cayenne pepper too and am hopeful of a very good run from her

She won very well last time and the trainer is flying with her 2yo fillies

hein bollow
    hein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 642

I answered Jac on my thread that I stick with Quadrilateral, so I like to repeat it here!
    I am hopeful and confident that she will be a very tough nut to crack :good:

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1933

I can see why people would like Quadrilateral, but to me, she shouldn’t be favourite at all. Nathra similarly bolted up following a similar path and then was beat in this race. She was a good filly but wasn’t a superstar like she probably looked that day and i’d side with that being the case here.

Cayenne Pepper has the best form and as FF said is coming from a yard that has a brilliant line on the fillies this year. Judging by her pedigree she will stay well and is proven over a mile from the front. I noted in Simon Rowlands piece on the star 2yos this year, he thinks based on stride etc that a mile will be Quadrilateral’s limit, that would worry me given Cayenne Pepper is a surefire stayer.

Love and Poweful Breeze would my main worries. But Cayenne Pepper would be a pretty confident pick and for me should be clear favourite. Probably 2/1.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

KevMc
    KevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1071

I want to see the ground first but Powerful Breeze looks a proper filly to me.

Boomer has good form and she beat her very well in the Group 2. She has drifted left when hitting the front previously also but i’m hoping that’s greenness rather than temperament as she’s not had to properly dig in for a battle yet.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8626

Powerful Breeze took a big step up from Class 4 to win a Group2 KevMc and I think I was a bit unfair to her in my write up. It certainly gives me hope that Queen Daenerys could take that leap. :heart:
    However the rain has been falling hard again today and the forecast for Friday is showers so not much change in the soft going forecast which is not good news..Jac :rose:

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8626

Rain here overnight into late morning and then ckearing, so it looks like the going will remain Soft.

Best of luck to all players in this.:good: Jac

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15795

I went with Boomer 16’s EW, hopeful she can sneak a place, especially if you draw a line through last run.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2276

Assuming love would have liked it a bit better, should appreciate the step up form ties with cayenne pepper with so wonderful and its hard to see her win ing, the step up in trip is the only thing that may squeeze out improvement, but the ground will hinder it IMO

Quadrilateral albeit impressively didnt look to beat anything and i couldnt back her on what she did, only got a mark of 103 for that.

Actually really like powerful breeze but again another i couldnt back on a softer surface by iffraj out of power of light, dam ran once on soft and ran ok, but half sister stuck to sounder surfaces.

Cayenne pepper will win fairly comfortably and cement jessies claim as the queen of the 2yo fillies, anastarsia and love will make up the places

Good luck

hein bollow
    hein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 642

She is such a wonderful and brillant filly :good: :good: :yahoo: :yahoo:
    Very well done Jason :good: :yahoo:

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1093

Backed the winner at 10s for the Guineas. After that dunno if it was a good decision.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1298

Think se will have learned a whole lot from that run – first time she has been in amongst horses (her Newbury runs she was more on the outside of the field) and she seemed to show more greeness for it and looked at little lost going into the dip as well.

Think she looks more of an Oaks filly than the 1000g (may come to soon for her) but I did like the way she stayed on up the hill and she did prick her ears as soon as she hit the front so I think there is much more to come.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 698

Completely agree LD73

First thought was that she needs further than a mile

Stand out candidate for the oaks

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1093

Not bred for the oaks unless a breeding expert can prove me wrong.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8626

That was an impressive performance from Quadrilateral from an almost impossible position. :good: Well done to all who backed her.
    She certainly went to post as if she wouldn’t go on the ground as did the second Powerful Breeze so think both fillies have run well in unsuitable conditions and also take into consideration the fact that Powerful Breeze bucked several times and pulled free from her handler in the paddock running free kicking and bucking around the parade ring it was a miracle she didn’t injure anybody or any other of the runners or herself, a very worrying few minutes until she was caught. That in itself couuld have affected her run today but she put up a brave performance…Jac :rose:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.