The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fighting Fifth 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Fighting Fifth 2008

Viewing 14 posts - 52 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Conditions in his favour a stronger pace at Cheltenham???……I swear you guys are stark raving bonkers. For 18 months have been telling you this Sublimity does not stay 2 miles in a true run race unless it’s on an nice easy course like Wetherby. He wouldn’t get the trip round Cheltenham in a thousand years and only won the CH because everything stopped to a walk in front of him.

He ran a great race last season to finish where he did and exactly where I said he would. The minute he hits that rising ground he will bounce up and down on the one spot and horses like Sizing Europe, Binny, Crack Away Jack and Katchit will leave him standing.

Do you honestly tink Nicky Henderson had Punjabi 100% yesterday? he openely said the race would put him right for the Christmas Hurdle.

Punjabi will be a 6yo come March Sublimity wll be a 9 year old. It seems obvious to me which one is most likely to improve most.

I would suggest it is highly unlikely Sublimity would finish front of Punjabi and I can think of 4 horses who I expect could beat him without too much trouble. Sizing Europe Katchit Osana and Binocular……..so if you want to back him at around 3/1 to get paced be my guest……..as I said I would’t back him at 50/1 ad I would certainly rather back Punjabi for a place than Sublimity.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Amazing, I agree with Fists…

Sublimity will not beat Punjabi so save your money!! They’ve met three times already and Punjabi has won every time.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

There is not much between them to be honest, Punjabi might well improve for the run but equally the same could be said of Sublimity who lets not remember travelled over to Newcastle (took him 12 hours) came back to Ireland and then back to Weatherby all within a few days.

He struggles to get two miles, but as he has shown before he gets it well enough on good ground. Clearly was tacky conditions at Weatherby.

Punjabi is clearly right in the mix and Sublimity is the sort of horse that I would always be keeping my eye on given his immense natural ability and speed.

The whole 3-0 to Punjabi meaning Sublimity cannot win is lazy and poor analysis particularly when 1 of the losses was in last years Champion on soft ground (that was both over watered and had heavy rain shortly before the off), Punchestown when Sublimity was given a mind blowingly bad ride and then yesterday.

Katchit has beaten Punjabi in their three meetings….so will we just rule out Punjabi?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

For me all 3 of their meetings show there is little between them, and I don’t think there’ll be much between them in the Champion Hurdle. It will be an interesting match between the two to see who comes fourth.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Sizing Europe has still got to prove he will not “bounce up and down on the spot” in similar fashion. Do agree Sublimity is an unlikely winner however, and wouldn’t have a penny at 12’s.[/img]

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

There is not much between them to be honest, Punjabi might well improve for the run but equally the same could be said of Sublimity who lets not remember travelled over to Newcastle (took him 12 hours) came back to Ireland and then back to Weatherby all within a few days.

He struggles to get two miles, but as he has shown before he gets it well enough on good ground. Clearly was tacky conditions at Weatherby.

Punjabi is clearly right in the mix and Sublimity is the sort of horse that I would always be keeping my eye on given his immense natural ability and speed.

The whole 3-0 to Punjabi meaning Sublimity cannot win is lazy and poor analysis particularly when 1 of the losses was in last years Champion on soft ground (that was both over watered and had heavy rain shortly before the off), Punchestown when Sublimity was given a mind blowingly bad ride and then yesterday.

Katchit has beaten Punjabi in their three meetings….so will we just rule out Punjabi?

Lazy and poor analysis? Are you serious?. How come you are making excuses for Sublimity but overlooking the fact that Punjabi has only won on soft ground once in his life and perhaps his best performance was on good ground against Sublimity? The fact remains he has beaten Sublimity 3 times on 3 different courses on 3 different types of ground.

It would be fair comment to say if he can beat him at Punchestown and Wetherby the chances of a non stayer like Sublimity beating him at Cheltenham are about nil.

I can’t agree he was given a bad ride at Punchestown I think people are simply underestimating how good Punjabi is on faster ground.

So getting back to this absolutely insulting excuse of a price of 12/1 for the Champion Hurdle. Someone would have to be off their trolly to back him at such a lousy price.
    Lets say he can’t beat Punjabi for starters that leaves only 1 more horse you can leave in the equation before you are guaranteed a payout.

So which 4 do you eliminate between Sizing Europe, Crackaway Jack, Binocular, Osana and Katchit?

You have 2 there that stuffed him last season in the Champion Hurdle, One who would have probably have stuffed them all but for a freak accident at a crucial moment, the up and coming Crack Away Jack and one of the best young hurdlers seen in years in Binocular………..Realistically Sublimity hasn’t a prayer of getting into the first 3 IMO and the bookies are extracting the urine as always.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Fists, chill out with Binocular – he’s the Supreme Novices runner up, the Aintree form with Celstial Halo is looking dodgier by the week, he’s hardly "one of the best young hurdlers seen in years".

I am in your corner with Sublimity price mind – 12’s is untouchable.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I would have interest at all in Sublimity for the CH. Now appears he was fortunate to win it when he did

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

I don’t think you can take any solid conclusions out of Saturday’s race as they went no pace and the field was still bunched up with 3 to jump, all you can say is that Blue Bajan really needs to brush up on his jumping he he is to step up to that kind of company. The front two didn’t do themselves any harm and at the prices can’t be ruled out of the Champion and rate much better value than Binocular on what they have all so far achieved.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

A slow pace and quick finish should have played intio Sublimity’s hands …shouldnt it?

• Total Posts 115

Not sure we learned anything on Saturday and March is a long way off.

I thought Sublimity looked better this weekend than all of last season, Punjabi is the horse that NH’s yard think is probably the strongest CH hope (so I understand), so that might not make Sublimity such a bad bet

I don’t think i’ve seen anything in CAJ that looks too worrying in top company

Saturday will tell us so much more about Binocular

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

It all seems to be pointing to Katchit again from what I’ve seen so far.

The Snap Tie form aint arf bad yer know either!

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

A slow pace and quick finish should have played intio Sublimity’s hands …shouldnt it?

On better ground maybe but that ground was pretty dead at best.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

I’m glad I haven’t seen the race was it foggy? or do you have a very long livingroom and a very small TV?

Unless Carberry borrowed a mask from Ethan Hunt that was Andrew McNamara ridng Sublimity.

Genuine mistake and I take your point…what was it again? :lol:

You want 12/1? be happy to lay you all you can muster at 200/1 because if he wins it’s very likely you will think it was Denamn in the Gold Cup and not collect :wink:

Oh dear. Nobody likes a smart ass FOF

Firstly, I said Carberry type ride. If it were Carberry, I would have said Carberry ride.

Apart from insulting me though I take your other point…what was it again?? :)

SHL

Viewing 14 posts - 52 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.