The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fighting Fifth 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Fighting Fifth 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

David,

I think it’s the owner’s son, Robbie, who now trains Sublimity.

• Total Posts 2184

Robbie Hennessey is Bill’s son. He used to ride the horse out at John Carr’s in Maynooth before deciding to take out a training license himself during the summer. Think he’s got a yard near Ratoath. He’ll also train the ex-Andrew Balding trained Donegal for his father, who they’re hoping will develop into a contender for the Triumph Hurdle.

Sublimity is in danger of becoming a bit of a forgotten horse as far as these big hurdle races are concerned. He looked to be going best of all in the Champion rounding the home turn but he just couldn’t quicken up the hill in ground that was against him. If he get’s his conditions at any stage during the season I wouldn’t be writing him off.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I can’t help but notice that the RP have quoted Cashmans at 33/1 about Harper Valley. Assuming the requisite eight turn up, that’s an attractive e/w bet IMO.

Pro Handicapper
    • Total Posts 17

Surely you’re aware the number of runners on the day is irrelevant for ante-post each-way betting – it’s the number quoted at the time of writing. If you fancy him each way back it now, though the fact he’s prone to running the odd stinker would put me off HV for such purposes.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Indeed, but given I have no Cashman’s account- and have no desire to open one for a single speculative each-way bet- I’m probably going to have to wait until AP rules don’t apply.

As for Harper Valley’s inconsistency, I fail to see ‘the odd stinker’ since he joined Gordon Elliott barring the day he strained his back at Musselburgh. A more pressing concern for me would be his nigh-on comical round of jumping at Aintree which, once allowed for, shows his run that day to be an admirable one.

Pro Handicapper
    • Total Posts 17

Why bother pointing out it’s value if you’re not going to back it? And wasn’t his recent Flat run lifeless, in need of the run or not? Agree jumping is a concern, too, as of course is the fact he’s out of his depth

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Why bother pointing out it’s value if you’re not going to back it?

Maybe he doesn’t want you to start whingeing about aftertiming as you have in 2 of your 8 posts so far on the forum to-date!

Alternatively he could be just stating an opinion, which is predominantly what a discussion forum is all about, surprisingly enough!

Pro Handicapper
    • Total Posts 17

Why bother pointing out it’s value if you’re not going to back it?

Maybe he doesn’t want you to start whingeing about aftertiming as you have in 2 of your 8 posts so far on the forum to-date!

Alternatively he could be just stating an opinion, which is predominantly what a discussion forum is all about, surprisingly enough!

Well he won’t be aftertiming given that he’s said that he’s not backing it, will he? He’d look a flipping fool.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Thanks DB, but I find belligerence and tenacity go hand in hand (see the post above :roll: ), so I’ve left it be.

• Total Posts 2184

Philip Carberry will miss the ride on Sublimity after breaking his shoulder in a fall in France today. No word on any replacement jockey yet.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I think you’ll find that Cashmans operate a useful policy of "S.P. place terms" in a lot of these ante-post races, which means that it does matter how many turn up on the day, hence some of their juicy looking prices on outsiders in smallish fields.

• Total Posts 2184

Looks like Davy Russell is set to pick up the spare ride on Sublimity. Not a bad replacement.

Any word on the going at Newcastle? I want to take on Punjabi at such a skinny price but both Sublimity and particularly Harchibald would prefer decent ground.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Exellent call he’s always been one of the bes in my book despite him having his critics…….Having backed Punjabi though I can say I ‘m thrilled :cry:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Obviously not happened over the past couple of years but isn’t this a race that the northern trainers like to win; are there any northern horses that might have been laid out for the race?

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I’m really suprised to see Tazbar running in this. He’s obviously fit from the flat and is a very high class horse but this surely is way too short.

I suppose with bug Question marks against Harchibald ewho showed signs of deteriation last season and Sublimity having staying doubts in a true run race they are there for the place money.

Punjabi Tazbar rfc?

David.C.
    • Total Posts 116

Looks like Davy Russell is set to pick up the spare ride on Sublimity. Not a bad replacement.

Any word on the going at Newcastle? I want to take on Punjabi at such a skinny price but both Sublimity and particularly Harchibald would prefer decent ground.

Quote on the latest going at Newcastle, from the Racing Post.

"The field of eight who go to post for the £100,000 Grade 1 Fighting Fifth could yet encounter soft ground. Newcastle clerk of course James Armstrong said on Thursday: "At the moment the ground is good to soft, soft in places, luckily we missed most of the rain on Wednesday.

"The forecast is for the odd light shower today as the remainder of that front comes through, so I’m hopeful we will remain as we are, but if we do get rain I wouldn’t rule out going soft."

• Total Posts 2184

Cheers David.

Harchi wouldn’t want any more rain by the sounds of it

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.