The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fighting Fifth 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Fighting Fifth 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 2440

No doubt few of the horses that ran in last years’ race will go back again.

Harchibald will be there though i would imagine.

Katchit wont be going this year though, he will be going straight to the Bula, now.

Al Eile wont be there too obviously, seen as the horse is out for the season which is a shame.

Celestial Halo too for Paul Nicholls, which is interesting in my opinion as i thought they would step him up in trip.

Does anyone know what the plans with Clopf are this season? ? ?

• Total Posts 2184

Would imagine Clopf will be running in the better 2 mile chases over here. He wouldn’t be up to taking on the likes of Sizing Europe over hurdles and our 2 mile chasing division is quite weak, especially after Nickname’s retirement.

He was a horse with a massive reputation in his novice days and I remember him trouncing Aitmatov twice. He looked to me like he could have had some sort of physical problem last year as he just didn’t seem to be finishing out his races.

Had a pipe opener on the flat on Sunday in the November Handicap at Leopardstown so I imagine he’ll be running again soon enough.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Ekbalco for me.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Nice choice Rip Van Winkle. :lol:

Who rides him Jonjo or Davy Goulding? :wink:

Crack Away Jack for me and my old enemy Sublimity could run well on this track

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Maybe your nightmare Fists – Harchibald, the horse not quite good enough in the "worst 2m hurdle generation of all time", winning this against your new exciting mob :P .

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Nice choice Rip Van Winkle. :lol:

Who rides him Jonjo or Davy Goulding? :wink:

Crack Away Jack for me and my old enemy Sublimity could run well on this track

Gypsy Dave please :wink:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Maybe your nightmare Fists – Harchibald, the horse not quite good enough in the "worst 2m hurdle generation of all time", winning this against your new exciting mob :P .

He’s the only horse I liked in fact I loved the old begger…but for thta gklitch in his charachter he was abetter horse tha HU in my book…..he could beat them all if he ran like he did last season and a couple weren’t quite on the ball, but I doubt if Crack Away Jack will go there in as poor condition as Katchit did.

He will go there with all guns blazing as they need to find out how good he really is. They already knew with Katchit so they could afford to, let’s say, mess about

We could even get a 1-2 with Sublimity and Harchibald as Newcastle doesn’t take the getting Cheltenham does. Both are very good horses if they don’t com e of the bridle.

I am wondering if Nicky Henderson will enter Punjabi. He certainly wouldn’t have anything to fear from Sublimity.

Does anyone know when are the entries published. If Punjabi happens to run he would be te best guide on how good CAJ is.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

No way was Harchibald better last season than 05 – absolutely no chance. You can’t be Johnny Mac style serious.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Harchibald IMO out galloped Katchit last year, and the faster the gallop the more I would rate his chances, but saying that Crackaway jack has speed to burn and didnt look of stamina when he beat Ashkazar at cheltenham, he looks the real deal to me.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I am wondering if Nicky Henderson will enter Punjabi. He certainly wouldn’t have anything to fear from Sublimity.

If, like you say, "Newcastle doesn’t take as much getting as Cheltenham" then Punjabi has every reason to fear Sublimity, as had the Champion Hurdle been 50 yards shorter he would have finished behind the ex-champ. The Punchestown form is hardly gospel either, Sublimity’s jockey suffering an acute bout of a hereditory affliction known as "Carberry syndrome". My main worry about Sublimity is his change of trainer, as much as Hennessy will struggle to do a worse job than John Carr did last year.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I think Punjabi is definately improving but I agree Sublimity should run better here if 100%. He does travel well and if he doesn’t come of the bridle at a crucial stage the he would have every chance.

Much depends on what actualy runs but Crack Away Jack looks tough to me and if it comes to a fight I think you’ll find Sublimity won’t be up for it.

He’s a lovely horse to watch when he comes cruising past those in the pack behind the leaaders but the minute there’s pressure put on him..Ziltch in the tank. His best chance lies with his pilot who if he can tme it to perfection he could win with that one burst Sea Pigeon style.

I’ll stick to my guns though and will be betting CAJ if he turns up.

• Total Posts 2440

It depends if ‘younger’ Carberry rides him like he did at Punchestown last year and sits there thinking he’s got a horse with concorde-esque speed underneath him.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Could it be you are underestimateng Punjabi.? He was on the top of his form, kicked for home early then found more when required..

PC surely had every right to think he would come back to him a bit and that Sublimity being a CH winner would find more.

Horses are brilliant of making jockeys look like fools and getting them to do as you wish all the time just isn’t possible.

His style of riding will always bring critisism as he sits as quiet as a doormouse and totally relaxes his mounts. It actually gives a horse a better chance by conserving energy than someone jumping up and down like a circus clown. When it comes to the business end of the ace and he horse finds nothing it looks worse than it is.

I think you are being hard on him.

• Total Posts 2440

PC surely had every right to think he would come back to him a bit and that Sublimity being a CH winner would find more.

He only beat that horse called Hardy Eustace didnt he which in your opinion isnt the best form? ? ?

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

And Punjabi’s form is Gareth? Sublimity’s strength lies in the fact he travels really well in his races. This wasn’t the Champion Hurdle and I think if you look back at the race in March Sublimity got his axx well and truly felt. I said he was a poor winner all last seaon and I stick to that….on a line through him it more or less supports what I said about Hardy Eustace but that doesn’t make Sublimity a useless bag of bones…anyway I said he would have expected Sublimity to have found more…. I never said I did……..I backed Punjabi in the race and Sublimity ran as well as I thought he would.

PS Any horse who can travel as well as he does in his races is always a threat. When things go there way they have the pace to win races like the Fighting Fifth which very seldom turns out to be much of a guide to the CH itself.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

With Jack out this is going to be a very interesting race. Punjabi is the obvius choice the way NH’s horses are running but it’s no foregone conclusion. I doubt if Sublimity will give in so easily this time and Harchibald is bound to have his followers. Tazbar is a top class animal but surely this will be too sharp for him if he turns up.

I would have to agree with the bookies making Punjabi fav and if anything 15/8 is a tad generous.,,,,,,,,,no doubt he will try and slip his field like he did in Ireland and must be worth a bet to leave them standing from 2 out as NH can do nothing wrong at the moment.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

My main worry about Sublimity is his change of trainer, as much as Hennessy will struggle to do a worse job than John Carr did last year.

When did Sublimity change trainers – still down in RP as trained by John Carr – Hennessy is the owner.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.