The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Favourite Pubs

Home Forums Lounge Favourite Pubs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

:lol:

Mine in the UK have to be in order:
    The Oxford BarEdinburgh – I am pretty sure I had a sensational time there when I was last in Scotland on a fortnights holiday …
    and if anything would bring me back on a permanent basis it would be a lovely unit within walking distance :lol:

..and when I was in London The Cricketers in Richmond, along with the The Old Ship and The Slug and Lettuce – although I have to say the night we did the lot was quite amazing… the Thames provided a refreshing dip for two of the team (not I hasten to add moi) :shock:

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I quite like Darleys in Hessle and Flannigans in Prestwick .. although the beer in Darleys is a bit crap and some of the staff have obviouslt been on a course to learn how to speak like Americans .. !

‘Pint of Guiness and a vodka and coke please’
    ‘Regular Guiness or extra cold.’
    ‘Just normal Guiness love.’
    ‘Ice’n’slice in the vodka.’
    ‘No just ice.’
    ‘Extra shot for a pound?’
    ‘No love, just a vodka and coke.’

.. why can’t folk just be as they are instead of trying to get all officious and positive over nothing, what a waste of energy.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

since the first of july, in the following order :

end

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

I quite like Darleys in Hessle and Flannigans in Prestwick .. although the beer in Darleys is a bit crap and some of the staff have obviouslt been on a course to learn how to speak like Americans .. !

‘Pint of Guiness and a vodka and coke please’
    ‘Regular Guiness or extra cold.’
    ‘Just normal Guiness love.’
    ‘Ice’n’slice in the vodka.’
    ‘No just ice.’
    ‘Extra shot for a pound?’
    ‘No love, just a vodka and coke.’

.. why can’t folk just be as they are instead of trying to get all officious and positive over nothing, what a waste of energy.

and they wonder why people want to smoke in pubs…

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

since the first of july, in the following order :

end

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

let me update that for you KT ….

1 the back garden patio table of the stage door
    2 the back garden driveway table of the royal oak
    3 that side street by scotland yard near the sanctuary
    4 the soon to be gone alley table in the lord john russell
    5 i do hope all of the do gooders have been properly flooded

end

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

let me update that for you KT ….

1 the back garden patio table of the stage door
    2 the back garden driveway table of the royal oak
    3 that side street by scotland yard near the sanctuary
    4 the soon to be gone alley table in the lord john russell
    5 i do hope all of the do gooders have been properly flooded

end

:lol: That’s the problem isn’t it with all these new rules. Everyone is being kicked out into the cold now – what will happen in winter :shock:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

In vague order of preference;

1) The Griffin, Shustoke – fabbo real ale, very pro-mild and real cider (so that’s me and Mrs Column sorted, then), and the hugest doorstop dead pig sandwiches in the whole of the Western world.

2) The Alma, Scarborough – plenty ale, the alternative 80s jukebox from heaven (often free), and a barman who’s the spit of Brian Murphy out of George and Mildred. Will be in there either side of the one-day Yorkshire cricket match this Sunday. Ho yes!

3) The Half Moon, Hitchin – would be the best pub in Hitchin even if Mrs Column didn’t work there. Frequently surprising / adventurous guest ales, high mild / porter / stout tolerance, utterly charming pub cat and the mother and father of pub quizzes.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

There’s loads aren’t there? :D I have several more on the list but am keeping them a secret lest hoards of tourists head there and spoil them with touristy banter :shock:

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

The Victoria Family & Commercial, Great George St. Leeds
    The Cardigan Arms, Kirkstall Rd. Leeds
    The Tut ‘n’ Shive, Laith Gate, Doncaster
    The Bridge Inn, Topsham, Exeter
    The Centurion Bar, Newcastle railway station (recently desecrated by the replacement of the deep armchairs by leatherette stools)

Good call with The Alma GC

Sberry,

May I suggest you experiment with snorting snuff. Whilst not being the halcyon experience delivered by a slowly smoked stogie it at least supplies the soothing caress of milady nicotine and goes someway to masking the heady aroma of cheap scent, farts and the sweat of honest toil that pervades the Great British Pub since that black day in early July.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I must admit, my two favourite pubs are nly on the list because they have a beer garden that you can sit in and have a smoke .. !

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

What if everyone decided to flout this silly law and all smoked as usual? They couldn’t arrest everyone! :lol:

(and besides how can it be a law for the people yet they can continue to smoke in parliament? :x )

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

.. or you could take more drastic action … http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6912900.stm

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Woodys Bar, Wood Street, Liverpool – rough as hell but any double and mixer for £1.40 and you can’t go wrong

The Gerrard Arms, St. Helens – my local when back home

The West End, Sheffield – my local in Sheffield and about 20 yards from my flat :)

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Good call with The Alma GC

Ta muchly. Given the appalling weather forecast, it looks like I could be spending a very long time in there instead of at North Marine Road this Sunday….

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.