The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Favourite horse of all time…..

Home Forums Horse Racing Favourite horse of all time…..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 113

I was having a discussion with the mrs on who were our favourite horses of all time ,and if we could just pick 1 who would it be?

To me i had a lot of favourites…like Cool Ground,Barathea,Viking Flagship,Relkeel,Barton Bank,Kauto Star,Inglis Drever etc(im only 27 so never seen arkle etc)

But if i had one horse that would be my favourite it would be the great Best Mate.

Who are other posters equine heroes?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

The One and only Son of Lyphard out of Navajo Princess by Drone! :wink:

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Jumps – Jessica Harringtons diminutive Spirit Leader paid for many a night out by doubling up in the Tote and County.

Flat – An unsplittable, diverse, foursome – Peruvian Chief, The Tatling, Hawk Wing, and Young Mick.

Blunkett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 416

Kauto Star without question.

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Boring, no brainer for me I’m afraid. Desert Orchid by a mile.

From the days when I was keen on flat racing I’d add in Dayjur from the other code.

Lee

Outsider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21

Flat – Hugs Dancer
    NH – Blowing Wind

TheOneAndOnlyTonyMcCoy
    • Total Posts 202

Jumps: Best Mate

Was only getting into racing them as im only 18 now and just to watch him do what he did, was incredible.

R.I.P Matey

Flat: Young Mick and Blue Bajan

Followed them in low grade races and won me a few quid :)

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9229

Jumps – probably Wayward Lad but honourable mentions to Red Rum and Dawn Run – current favourite is Knockara Beau

Flat – The Minstrel with honourable mentions to El Gran Senor and Shadeed

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Arkle and Sea Bird II. The two heavyweights, and in my opinion, the very best horses to compete in their respective codes. 8)

I also preferred Night Nurse over Monksfield, Brigadier Gerard over Mill Reef, Nijinsky over Sir Ivor – and Sea The Stars over Dancing Brave.

Others I had a big soft spot for – NH: Badsworth Boy, Silver Buck, Sea Pigeon, Diamond Edge, Bula, Tingle Creek, Burrough Hill Lad & Little Owl.

Flat: Ile De Bourbon, Dayjur, El Gran Senor, Le Moss, Allez France, Kris, Oh So Sharp.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

mort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Red Rum. Been obsessed with him since, as a small pony mad child, I was at Liverpool for the dead heat when he was 2. Then I used to get driven to school in Southport by a certain taxi driver before he became a famous trainer! Have never grown out of my love affair with horses and Red Rum in particular. For me he really was unique, not just for the Grand National results, but also for his resilience. To race in 100 races from the age of 2, achieve what he did and go on to live to the amazing age of 30 is truly remarkable.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Jumps – has to be Arkle

Flat – has to be the Dancing Brave trained just round the corner. I was there in 1986 it was his amazing turn of foot whether a mile or a mile and a half.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

The One and only Son of Lyphard out of Navajo Princess by Drone! :wink:

100% agree … the wonder horse in my avatar!

Within close proximity and about to hit top gear, I do wonder how other greats such as Sea Bird, Mill Reef, Brigadier Gerard, etc, would’ve coped with his tremendous turn of speed.

colinf
    • Total Posts 144

Azamour.

shaund10
    • Total Posts 101

Beef or Salmon with Moscow Flyer a close second

Participant
    • Total Posts 6306

I would have to have a top three from the flat

MTOTO

BARATHEA

GOSSAMER

and the jumps

LARGE ACTION

No explanations just let it be said that I loved Gossamer on soft ground she was AMAZING
    Mtoto the best horse never to win an Arc
    Barathea an absolute machine!!

Large Action was just an absolute star!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2268

all through childhood and the one that got me interested in racing, and in particular the grand national, it has to be red rum

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

Must be Dawn Run, also what about Wilford, who, I think, won a county hurdle, and ended up winning marathon chases

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.