The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fave drinks

Home Forums Lounge Fave drinks

Viewing 9 posts - 52 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1750

With a couple of mates we used to get a few drinks in a local pub from the age of 16 early doors. The landlord knew all our fathers so as Paul has intimated above as long as we behaved there were no issues. Regulars also used to keep you in check if you got to big for your your boots.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5947

I fell in love with pubs when I was 15 but the first semi-proper session was as a 16-and-a-half year old straight after the last ‘O’ Level exam, when around 5 of us caught the bus sharpish into town and settled – somewhat sheepishly at first – in a dark corner of a smoky dive and spent a couple of hours until ‘morning’ chucking out time at 3pm downing several pints of Joshua Tetley’s best bitter. Smirks from the bar staff and regulars, but nothing more

The start of a 40-year over-indulgence which ceased about 10 years ago when, as tends to happen, need overwhelmed enjoyment

Just the occasional pint of bitter and glass of red nowadays, largely restricted to when on breaks away from home: so very little consumed over the last year or so

Tea and tap water are the regulation lubricants; the latter sometimes spiced up with lime cordial

Participant
    • Total Posts 31466

I had no such luck
    as a 16 year old playing for the Railway clubs men’s team in league 1 of the Taunton Sunday League. I always had a pint bought for me afterwards as I was normally man of the match but never managed to drink half of it before the barmaid would swoop in and take it off me.. 🙁

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Has anyone had a go at what are called “hard Seltzers”? Sparkling water spiced with the spirit of choice, alcohol content 5-6%.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

That amused me Nathan. A jobsworth barmaid! No justice in Taunton for sunday league footballing startlets!

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 5670

That barmaid could have been my mother. I will never know. She wasn’t one to throw her weight around and I don’t think she had ever been to Taunton – not at a barmaids age. She took a coach trip there once.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31466

Hope your mum enjoyed the coach trip to Taunton gamble.
    I use to drink MD20/20. The only place you could buy it from in Taunton back then was a Pakistani corner shop. One day I bought the last bottle on the shelf and asked if they had any more out the back as I wanted Two. The owner said no and also he wasn’t getting anymore in the future but I talked him into getting a load more I think another 10 or 20 bottles and paid a pound deposit. A few days later I got a call up to play for Taunton reserves and saw a chance of maybe breaking into the first team so never went back for the bottles of MD20/20. About a month later the Pakistani shop had closed its doors for good. The owner was old back then so who knows if he is still alive or where he is living but like the TV series My Name is Earl he is on my list to pay back.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5947

Is Usher’s Best Bitter still around Nathan? Brewed in Trowbridge I think

I recall imbibing a quiet gallon or so in a pub/several pubs in Taunton after spending a day at the cricket. Northants were the opposition and thoroughly enjoyed watching that delightful bowler Bishen Bedi wheel away many an over of leg spin. Mid-late ’70s

Participant
    • Total Posts 31466

I’m not certain to be honest Drone as don’t really get out alot to the pubs even pre lockdown.
    I will be going to the social club on Tuesday evening for a few frames of snooker so will take a look at the choice of poisons on offer

Viewing 9 posts - 52 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.