The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fabulous Jet

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I’ve just noticed that Fabulous Jet is about to run at Taunton.

The reason I’ve flagged this up is because I backed this horse the time before last when it took one of the most fierce holds I’ve ever seen by a horse.

Despite the horse fighting drastically for it’s head, it was held up well in the rear and pulled and pulled and pulled. I remember after the race, a lot of emails went into the ATR studio saying surely the jockey should have just let the horse get on with things.

I can’t remember who was in the studio, but whoever it was said that you can’t do that. If you let a horse that pulls just go straight to the front and bowl along at speed it will burn itself out. Although I understood where he was coming from, I thought surely it’s better to try that tactic than let them pull at the back of the field – we all know, once they start taking a fierce pull, they hardly ever win.

Fabulous Jet has ran since – and was allowed to bowl along in front and win effortlessly.

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Fabulous Jet has just just gone from pillar to post again, winning effortlessly and looking a much improved animal.

So much for not allowing a fierce pulling horse to bowl along in front at his own speed.

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

MM, Christain Williams rode him at Sedgfield – enough said really.

I think if as horse cannot settle then there is littel merit in "strangling" him.

However letting a "free" horse have his head doesn’t always work – Marodima is a case in point and has "beaten" himself several times in his career due to his hard pulling.

Carvill’s Hill is probably the best example of a puller who set up unsurmountable leads.

Christian Williams was only following instructions though KCC – and if he was not injured he would have been riding today – from the front.

My point was more about how horses that take a fierce pull at the back of the field should be allowed at least a few efforts going at the speed they want from the front.

A lot of people just assume that because they take a fierce pull, they will burn themselves out if allowed to bowl along from the front. Fabulous Jet is a perfect example of this not being the case all the time – though I agree this example is rare and most horses do get tired very quick.

Mike

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

He couldn’t have won much easier Mike well spotted……I loved Tommos comment on the jockey " He’s having a look between his legs and likes what he sees" :lol:

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Would it be remiss to suggest he wasn’t ridden to best effect at Sedgefield?

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

He couldn’t have won much easier Mike well spotted……I loved Tommos comment on the jockey " He’s having a look between his legs and likes what he sees" :lol:

I wasn’t putting it up as a selection Fist – I only noticed it was running when I switched ATR on 5 minutes before the off.

The reason I started the thread was because of how many emails went into the ATR studio when he took a fierce pull at Sedgefield. I was one of the people who said he should be allowed to go from the front (sorry for the after timing) because if he pulls like that he will never win a race.

I hadn’t even noticed he had since won by being allowed to go from the front at his own speed. He was allowed to bowl along again today and won the race without breaking sweat.

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Would it be remiss to suggest he wasn’t ridden to best effect at Sedgefield?

When you look at the way he has hacked up the last twice from the front Smithy, no it wouldn’t. However, the trainer is obviously going to make reference to the change of tactics if asked about the imrovement.

Mike

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I wasn’t putting it up as a selection Fist – I only noticed it was running when I switched ATR on 5 minutes before the off.

The reason I started the thread was because of how many emails went into the ATR studio when he took a fierce pull at Sedgefield. I was one of the people who said he should be allowed to go from the front (sorry for the after timing) because if he pulls like that he will never win a race.

I hadn’t even noticed he had since won by being allowed to go from the front at his own speed. He was allowed to bowl along again today and won the race without breaking sweat.

Mike

And i thought you had won a few quid :cry: Turn on earlier next time Mike you what the say……if your not fast your last :lol:

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Educated = nailed to the floor in this instance, perhaps?

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Educated = nailed to the floor in this instance, perhaps?

Lol, like your style Smithy :lol:

KCC,

Actually, now that I remember, I’m almost certain it was Matt Chapman in the booth that day (apologies if it wasn’t) and he said exactly the same thing. When he received so many emails about how the horse should have been allowed it’s head and bowl along, he completely disagreed, saying that if the jockey doesn’t try and educat the horse, it will never learn to settle.

I’m only guessing that the education didn’t work then :D

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Possibly, however inexperienced horses need to be taught to settle at racing pace, and the racecourse is unfortunately the only place to do this.

KCC, we’re talking about an 8 year old who has had 21 runs, not a two year old having it’s second outing.

Mike

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

LOL. Exactly Mikky, I think the front-running tactics coincided with some market confidence. Lucky he had learned to settle the week before.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Apologies also then KCC – I thought we were still talking about Fabulous Jet :D

He is a much improved animal from the front though, and definitely needs watching in the next few weeks. He is a very fast and economical jumper – could easily run a few fields ragged before the handicapper gets a grip of him.

He still runs free when allowed to go at his own speed up front, but he soon snaps out of it and there seems to be plenty left in the tank at the finish. I certainly wouldn’t be put off when the inevitable step up in grade comes about.

If any ratings/speed experts want to give a brief assessment, I would be very grateful.

Mike

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I wouldn’t be too concerned about sepped ratings Mike he’s a very nice horse this and he will be put up more than a few pound for sure. One look at him tells you that won’t bother him too much. Hasn’t beat much but he settled the issue a mile or more from home and was never going to get beat. Lot more in the tank if he had needed it.

He hasn’t been asked to quicken again he’s just gone and done it himelf. He will take some beating no matter where he goes and I would bet him until beaten…………looks sure to run up a sequence with an attitude to the game like that…….if i was going to critisie the horse was he looks a bit too brave…..the way he jumped the last and how quickly he got over it was bordering on the scary but he did measured it perfectly and has obviously got a very good eye in his head along with a lot of confidence.

Just my opinion of course.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.