The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

FA Cup

Home Forums General Sports FA Cup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Forgive me for being enthusiastic guys but I’m getting a bit twitchy now :lol:

Ok, Boro are not going to win the cup (are they?), but I can start to dream can’t I?

A home tie against Sheff Utd, then a home tie against Cardiff – you can’t really ask for anything better to get to the Semi-Finals. Then hopefully we will get drawn against the winners of the Bristol Rovers/West Brom tie in the Semi-Final.

Sheff Utd and Cardiff (providing we beat Sheff Utd) will not be easy ties, especially with Boro in a good run of form playing a lower league team – that’s normally the time when we slip up.

It shouldn’t be the case, but believe me the Boro hierachy must reduce the ticket prices for these games. The replay is live on TV, and the Quarter-Final will be live on TV, and if we charge full price to get in, we will be lucky to get 15,000 fans. If this is the case we will be playing right into the hands of the opposition.

Last season we played Bristol City in a replay and the tickets were reduced to £10 for adults and £5 for children and I think I’m right in saying we got over 25,000. We have to do the same here as a full house, or close to full house should give us the edge.

Come on Boro – I’m getting excited again.

Mike

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Don’t be fooled by Cardiff, Mikky, they came to Anfield in the Carling Cup and gave us a decent game.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Don’t be fooled by Cardiff, Mikky, they came to Anfield in the Carling Cup and gave us a decent game.

I definitely won’t be fooled by either Sheff Utd or Cardiff LGR. Like I say, Boro always seem to let you down when they are playing well and are expected to win – but then we will go and beat Arsenal or Chelsea in the league when we are not expected to :shock:

Mike

TMWANG50
    • Total Posts 69

Sheffield United have been poor this season you should get past them, even with Bakewell tart in charge instead of the useless Robson. Cardiff are a bit of a dark horse as they are good one week and bad the next but they don’t have a lot of strength in depth.

Having seen all 3 sides at Ashton Gate this season I would say Boro if fielding a strong side should get to at least the semis!!

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I certainly hope that a team outside of the big four can win the FA Cup this year and I do not want to watch another Man Utd v Chelsea final so good luck to Boro and I think they should get to the semi finals.

Pete

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

Boro look a great price at 1.66. I expect them to tear Sheffield apart on their decent home turf. Only started backing them for the first time this month, Mike!

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I think if Sir Furious and Man Utd want to win the FA cup this season, they will, as I can’t see any of the others being good enough to stop them – though I do wish ‘ Boro all the very best in their quest to lift the old trophy.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Boro look a great price at 1.66. I expect them to tear Sheffield apart on their decent home turf. Only started backing them for the first time this month, Mike!

If I wasn’t a Boro fan Zilzal I’d say Boro were a good bet to beat Sheff Utd also. We are a far better team and have played some decent football lately.

But this is Boro and this is the FA Cup :shock: – we make a habit of making things difficult and I think it could be a nervy old night to be honest. I’ve previewed the match for Betfair (should be on site later today) and have said as much on there about how close the game could be. I hope I’m wrong for Boro’s sake :lol:

Thanks for the best wishes Himself – I’d be happy with just beating Sheff Utd and Cardiff and getting to Wembley for the semi-final :D

Mike

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

MikkyMo >>>Thanks for the best wishes Himself – I’d be happy with just beating Sheff Utd and Cardiff and getting to Wembley for the semi-final :D
    Mike

I’ll be more than happy if they just beat Sheff Utd for starters, if you get my drift. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

:wink: :wink:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Well done your lot and all that, Mike, but for the love of God ask them to play some football next time, will you? I gnawed my own arm off at the sheer boredom of it all tonight!

There’s win ugly, and then there’s win dead from the neck upwards. Zzzzz… :lol:

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Yes, well done to Boro and let’s hope they can go further in the FA Cup. I agree that it was a boring game and Boro lacked ideas on how to break down the SU defence. They seem to have some good players but need to pass the ball more etc but having said that, I haven’t watched Boro much this season and maybe last night was not a good example of how they usuually play and it’s never easy trying to beat the lower league opposition in these cup games.

I’d love to see them beat Man Utd or Chelsea :)

Pete

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Yes, a bit of a dull game all told – but I warned you that Boro wouldn’t do it the easy way :D

Put Man Utd or Arsenal in front of the Boro lads and they will turn into Brazil, but when it comes to a team we are expected to beat we play like Barnet – it’s always been the case and I’ve been waiting for it to change for 25 years lol.

The good thing these days though is that we somehow manage to get throught these tricky ties and we have quite a good record in the cups.

I’m sure you will see an improved performance against Cardiff, and with Huth and Wheater back in the central defence I’m quite confident about winning that game.

Mike

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

Mike, It looked like you brought along a lot of friends and relations! I know you warned us but Boro were Dire, Dire Dire. Maybe that Liverpool game took a lot out of them but you would think the incentive of the Cup would have galvanised them more. Does Southgate not have much in the way of options during a match; he does’nt strike me either as much of a man manager.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Hi Zilzal,

If you’re referring to the size of the crowd (which surprised me) then that was down to a master stroke from the club about 12 hours prior to kick-off.

They announced on thier website that anyone attending the match against Sheff Utd should keep their ticket stubs in case Boro got to Wembley as these fans will get priority over those that don’t have stubs.

I checked the website on Tuesday and there wasn’t one part of the ground that was sold out – come Wednesday afternoon 70% of it was sold out. Boro have asked fans to keep their ticket stubbs from the Cardiff game also so that should guarantee an almost full house.

Regarding Southgate, he is still learning but I haven’t been that impressed with him personally. The games we trail in we usually go on to lose so there isn’t any evidence of him being a tactical genius as yet. When he makes subs he usually replaces like for like towards the end of a game rather than try and change the shape of the game.

I do know that he is very highly regarded though and Steve Gibson and Keith Lamb think the world of him. It’s great that he is getting time to learn his trade as us Boro fans are a lot more patient than some of our North East rivals. We can see what he is trying to do at the Riverside and I think Gareth will get better as time goes by. An FA Cup wouldn’t be a bad way to start his career :D

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.