The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Expensive Aintree

Home Forums Horse Racing Expensive Aintree

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 194

I’ve been going to all 3 days of the grand national meeting for many years but in not sure if I will carry on in the future as they just seem hell bent on getting every last penny out of you and as a racing fan you feel that your not wanted now in favour of the alcoholics!
    Over the years,they have moved the paddock/winners enc to the far end of the course making a long trek from the stands!ok the winner parades in front of the stands but only because to give time for some people to get to the winners enc.
    Then there’s the parking,it now costs £20 a day which involves a long wait to get your car in and then to get through security when a few years ago they laid on a excellent park&ride service from a local school that was free!
    Back then they also did a 3-day badge that ment effectively the 1st day was free,no such luck now as it cost me a total of £218 to be on the roof all 3 days.
    The racecard cost £7 yesterday…that must be a uk record???
    On the Friday it seemed the result of the fashion comp was more important to Aintree than the build up to the grade one melling chase.
    Maybe at the age of 45 I’m too old to put up with now but it seems a shame that I may well be sat at home watching it on ruk next year

Participant
    • Total Posts 651

I just go on the Thursday – travel by train, high quality racing, not too crowded. The other two days just look like too much hassle.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I can’t afford to go to Aintree anymore and to be honest I don’t miss it. Thursday was my favorite day as it wasn’t too crowded and was more for the purists. I know many people love Ladies Day on the Friday but I found it too annoying and got fed up of people who just turned up to get drunk. Grand National day itself always felt great and I enjoyed walking the course early in the day and got a thrill at the big cheer from the crowds when the race started, however I tired from stepping on broken plastic beer glasses wherever I went and avoiding people who were again just there for the beer.

On top of everything else the prices for the grandstand tickets were getting a joke and would rather go to a “gaff” track rather feeling I was getting ripped off.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1882

I lived in Liverpool for three years but the rowdy wastrels who turn up in April always kept me away from the National meeting.

Old Roan Chase day was my favourite. You get a clued-up friendly National Hunt crowd, the course is not overly busy and you get to see a nice mix of races – the Old Roan, the veterans’ chase and the 3m novices’ chase always being good events. The annual appearance of Monet’s Garden adds value to your ticket price too!

Even then, the course charges some ridiculous prices for sub-standard food and drink. I regret buying the soggy £8 fish and chips alongside my muggiest mug punts. £7 for a racecard is obscene too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 338

A plus point this year was the acknowledgement of being a carer for my disabled husband … so I was free!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.