The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

England v Switzerland. Your thoughts…

Home Forums General Sports England v Switzerland. Your thoughts…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Currently trading at 1.48 on Betfair.
    Some might think this is buying money. Although just a friendly, it’s likely that the England team will be pulling their tripe out (or at least they ought to be) to impress the new Capo. So, 48% (45.6 after 5% comm) return looks good yes? Check out your local Building Society for their annual APR.
    However, as yet we don’t know what the starting line up will be or if Capello will try a formation that our donkey brain players can’t get used to straight away. Not inconceivable that the Swiss might raise their game at Wembley whereas the English seem to be overawed. If a life or death choice I’d go for an England win with some confidence. But as it’s not and we’re just gambling I’d go…

Lay England at 1.48 and back again for 90% of original stake when (and if) England drift to 1.64. Guaranteeing a 10% profit whatever the result.
    (Now I’ve said that, England will go and score in the first minute and f@@k the bet up good and proper)
    FWIW – when neither team scores, it usually takes an average of 29 minutes to reach the trade out price. Obviously if the Swiss score first or England score early on but the Swiss equalise later on you’ll be able to make more than 10%.
    Is 10% enough for you guys? Looks chicken-feed after some of your weekend bets!

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I haven’t really looked at the game (or the markets) yet Insomniac, but I would tend to agree that the current odds do look tasty.

I could be miles off here as I haven’t checked, but I think I’m right in thinking that the last five or six managers have all won their first game in charge – not sure if that’s down to the players upping their game for the new boss, or the opposition being weak, but I would certainly expect England to win tomorrow.

However, if you want to add to your bank before that game, then backing England U-21’s tonight really is buying money. The difference in quality in the two teams is immense, and I think England will score a comfortable victory tonight. Odds of around 1.25 might not be the best, but this really is buying money.

As a bit of added interest, and out of loyalty, I’ve backed David Wheater to score the first goal at 25’s. He has been outstanding for Boro this year, and has scored a few from set pieces. So fingers crossed for an England corner in the first minute, a David Wheater header hitting the back of the net, and the sound of a can of Grolsch being opened to celebrate :lol:

Good luck mate,

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Engalnd U-21’s not looking too good :oops:

Perhaps someone should tell Pearce that playing a striker gives you a better chance of scoring a goal :D

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

That’s better – told you it was buying money. It was never in doubt :lol:

Mike

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I won’t decide how to bet on this game until the England team is announced. Early reports suggest that Owen will be on the subs bench with Rooney possibly on his own up front. I’ve never considered that Rooney likes playing in this position or is that good at it.

Capello has a reputation for being disciplined and defensive and his priority may be to ensure that England do not lose this game. There is no Lennon and Wright-Phillips may not be playing so there may not be anybody with a fast pace to take the ball and run past defenders.

I do not rate Switzerland ( I mean the football team – the country is one of the best in the world imo ) that much but as Insomniac says, some teams are inspired when they play at Wembley.

I’ll be tempted to lay the draw at half time if it’s still 0-0 then.

Good luck to anyone else having a bet.

Pete

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Like Switzerland during the 2nd world war, I am very much in the neutral’s corner, but bearing in mind that the England players will be trying their utmost to impress Postman Pat, I think they’ll win 2 or 3 nil. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Hope we beat the spineless, nazi gold hoarding, yodelling bastards :twisted:

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Call me stupid, but I’ve just added Republic of Ireland in a treble with England and Germany :D

Brazil are drastically weakened this evening and the Republic should be at full strength – whether this narrows the gulf in class between the two teams is debatable, but I like the look of the 4/1 about the Irish.

Mike

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8966

I think Capello may well turn out to be the most successful england manager since Sir Alf.

Head – I would expect them to have too much for the Swiss but it’s early days and they are an unpredictable outfit (the English that is) so i’d leave it alone for betting purposes.

Heart – Go on the yodellers.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

All green at 10% gross after 28mins if laid at 1.48 (was laid at 1,41 before kick off so could have traded out a couple of minutes earlier).
    Now – come on England!

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Slightly at a tangent here, but did anyone else hear Alan Shearer talking sense before the game? Instead of the furrowed brow, jingoism and ‘just get at ’em’ nonsense, he was relaxed, reasoned and talked a lot of sense. Specifically, he pointed out that if a man with Capello’s experience and qualifications can’t get this bunch of players to be successful, then we might have to face up to the fact that there is a problem with our game and the kind of players we produce.

I have given him a lot of stick on this forum but I have to say that was spot on.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Call me stupid, but I’ve just added Republic of Ireland in a treble with England and Germany :D

Brazil are drastically weakened this evening and the Republic should be at full strength – whether this narrows the gulf in class between the two teams is debatable, but I like the look of the 4/1 about the Irish.

Mike

Let that be a lesson to you – never but never back Ireland to win a football match – we are ****

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Lol David :lol:

Sorry Andrew, I didn’t see what you were referring too, however I’m going for a lie down now – Shearer, talk sense – are you sure? :D

Mike

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

England have a new red kit, proclaimed dear old Motty. Just like during the 1966 World Cup final, he enthused.

As if they haven’t worn the red shirts in almost every year since then.

Any old excuse to mention that final, more like :roll:

or is Motty getting someone to put a few shillings on with the Scottish bookmakers who offer odds on when he’ll mention the "sixty-six final" during matches. He does every time England play. It’s so annoying, you know. :x :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I always have the Radio 5 commentary on where its available because you tend to get more interesting comments and criticism than the cliches and inane ramblings of Motson et al.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.