The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Eider 2020

Home Forums Archive Topics Eider 2020

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    peter .hpeter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1251

An underwhelming turnout, but competitive all the same. Shanroe Santos has dropped below his last winning mark and is a proper stayer. Looks a forgotten horse.

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4755

Agree that it is a poor turn out for this race which is a shame but have backed a couple including the aforementioned DONNA DELIGHT at 10/1 and FORTIFIED BAY at 16/1 both four places. FB has won his last two nicely and IMO if he gets the trip 16/1 will look a huge price. Jennie Candlish is in decent form and doesn’t send many up here and her jockey has a good record round here.
    So my main fancy is Fortified Bay and God speed his little legs LOL :good:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7812

There’s an early morning inspection I believe. Don’t think it’s raining much but it is extremely windy.

DBRDBRDBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

I like Financial Outcome at 12/1. He won easily in the mud at Doncaster at 3m2f and then blundered at Uttoxer when going very well. Still on a lenient mark and I think this race will suit him.

Financial Outcome 12/1 EW

EuroalienEuroalien
    Participant
    • Total Posts 211

I also like Financial Outcome. He should stay forever and would have gone close in his last race at Uttoxeter.

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6586

Newcastle meeting abandoned

A bit gutted as I really fancied Glittering Love and having backed it at 18s and 16s
    and it’s half that price now I thought I was well in. I’ll wait to see what
    they do with the meeting and if it is rearranged with bets standing.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7812

Darn it; I was going to back Glittering Love, too. Was going to put the bet on in the early hours of this morning but thought I’d wait till later as they weren’t doing best odds guaranteed. I had backed Fortified Love. Was so looking forward to the race.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17031

Yeah, real shame Moe.

I’ll archive the thread later, but I’ll bump it back if any sign of rescheduling, which I can’t really see.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 281

It might not be popular to say so but I am glad it is off. Long distance chases on heavy ground are not a very appealing spectacle. Exhausted horses almost walking over the line is not good publicity for racing.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1467

Cork if you owned a horse who is basically slow needs a severe stamina test and can only run on testing ground you may want to give him an entry B-)

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 281

I would not buy that type of horse. I am not a fan of marathon chases at the best ot times and those sort of chases on heavy ground give the anti-racing animal rights brigade more ammunition than they could ever dream about.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2866

I really admire the staying mudlarks but tend to agree with you Cas. Having said that sometimes the Eider is OK as it’s the slow bog gallopers that go for it. Bristol de Mai’s wide margin Betfair was worse with grade 1 winners behind him on their hands and knees; and the GN trial 2 years ago at the same track worse still….the commentator thought Blaklion (who crawled over the last and never won anything thereafter) was the only finisher apart from the winner and hadn’t even spotted Mysteree in the distance.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 281

Yes, I think it was the Blaklion race that finally made up my mind. The sight of a good horse (the antepost favourite for the GN) crawling over the last fence was not good. I really do not see how anyone could think that was a good look for racing.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.