The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Edinburgh Cup 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Edinburgh Cup 2010

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 47

Hello all, fairly new member here :)

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this
    race at the weekend? It’s running 5th June at Musselburgh with £80,000 added. I believe the theory from the big wigs here is that it’s being run over Derby distance in an effort to attract horses that were not quite good enough (but may have once been aimed at) Epsom.

Corsica looks to be one of the market leaders along with John Dunlop’s Spanish Duke.

Any opinions or discussion welcome!

• Total Posts 4293

You’re going to be lucky to get many responses here, up against the Dash and the Derby, not to mention the Scottish Sprint and the Tartan Sprint!

• Total Posts 47

Thanks for the advice!

Although, I would think as it’s the feature it would get

more coverage than the other races? maybe not though!

• Total Posts 4293

In connection with the topweight, Corsica, there is a general point that I wanted to make last night.

I always find it a bit odd when a handicapper puts up a "good" performance in a Conditions or Pattern race, that it will tend to get a hefty raise. My default viewpoint is that it is the handicappers that we know most about, and whose ratings are more solid, so I’d tend to the view that the "better" horses underperformed.

On the face of it, Corsica getting a 16 lb raise for winning a 4 runner race by 1.5 lengths, when the odds-on favourite trailed in last, seems a bit harsh. However, in this case, the Official Handicapper’s decision is backed up by the Topspeed ratings awarded for the race.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.