The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

eclipse

Home Forums Horse Racing eclipse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    victorm
    • Total Posts 7

it appeared to me watching george at ascot that he ran the same sort of race as in the goodwood mile race last year. then we all know what happened at ascot .I for one will be taking him to beat authorised who i think is more a true middle distance horse

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I think any support of George in future will need to be accompanied by a small prayer that he will behave himself.

There is always going to be the likliehood of him becoming "above himself", I think that is the phrase!

Colin

benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

I think he may have been a little too fresh and definitly wasnt back in training long enough before Ascot and will be far better behaviour wise next time.

I am not however convinced about his ability to stay 10f. I know he was running on in the queen anne but I felt this may be slightly misleeading given that he didnt really pick up at all until around the furlong pole. I dont know what anyone elses thoughts are but I felt he handled the dirt ok in the breeders cup and he was found wanting for stamina.

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

I will  be hoping ‘George’ runs because then I’ll probably be able to get odds against on Authorized.

I know everyone has their own opinion, but I think GW’s 128 official mark flatters him a little , as I think he was beating up – when he actually did win – on a pretty mediocre bunch of milers last year. Authorized , imho, will present O’Brien’s colt with a much sterner test – BC aside – than he’s ever face before, especially over 10 furlongs up Sandown’s hill.

Just my two cents.

(Edited by ClintM at 8:35 am on June 26, 2007)

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Sandown’s 10f is not going to be easy for a horse who doesnt exactly relax.

victorm
    • Total Posts 7

i take your point but if was ballydoyle i,d run a pacemaker with instructions to set an ord gallop for  6 furlongs or so and then kick on to make it a speed test

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

More rain forecast this weekend so I think it will need a heatwave next week to make the ground fast enough for George to have a chance of staying 10 furlongs at Sandown.

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

Quote: from flagship uberalles on 3:49 pm on June 26, 2007[br]

Clint – we don’t exactly know that Authorized hasn’t walked all over a bunch of ordinary middle distance horses…

You’re quite right, Flagship,  but the clock indicates that Authorized’s Derby win was well up to standard.

<br>

(Edited by ClintM at 5:57 pm on June 26, 2007)

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Duke of marmalade will end up as O’Briens 10f horse this year I think.

victorm
    • Total Posts 7

ty all for opinions as you say soft going prob means no gorgeous we,ll have to wait till the king george to see how good authorised is

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Agree with that Aragorn, think Duke of Marmalade will be much better suited by a mile and a quarter..

I’ve been thinking the same thing.

He looks to have class but not the pace to go with them at a mile.

Steve

Galejade
    • Total Posts 185

You may be right that Duke of Marmalade is best suited by 10f but it will be less than a vintage year if he proves to be the best at that distance. He has run well to be placed in the guineas etc but when all is said and done he still has only managed to win 1 race which is hardly the stuff of Champions

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

He reminds me a lot of oratorio.. As others have pointed out, not quite got the speed to win at G1 over a mile but he’s always seen out the distance well. Archipenko could well end up being a 10f horse as well.

Watched the derby again the other day. Back on a flatter track in a smaller field we’ll see him in a better light.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

O’Brien says George Washington is an intended runner in the Eclipse along with Duke Of Marmalade, Archipenko and Admiralofthefleet.

Credit to him for being willing to have a proper go. The Derby and Irish Derby fields would have been sadly depleted this year but for O’Brien.

Red Rocks is a non-runner in the Eclipse, by the way.

Hawk Wing
    • Total Posts 141

Can’t wait for this, something to really look forward to

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.