The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ebor Day

Home Forums Horse Racing Ebor Day

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Just been told about a coach trip from a local pub to Ebor Day at York; will be quite expensive, and I’d much rather go on the Tuesday or Thursday, but they’re only going that day, and it just happens to be my day off. Is it a good day to go?

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

Obviously the meet has been re-jigged a bit into a four day festival for the first time (called off last year).

Four days is a bit much to be honest and I think the best day to go will be the Tuesday as weather permitting Sea The Stars should be running in the International.

There is also the Voltigeur that day.

Thursday you have the Yorkshire Oaks (Sariska?) and the Lowther,would imagine that will be Ladies Day.

Ebor day itself you have the Lonsdale for the stayers and the Gimcrack for the two year old colts as well as the Ebor.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I was gonna take the week off to watch the meeting on the tv…but my boss has knocked back my holiday request! Gutted!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Frustrating to have horses running on days either side that I would give anything to see in the flesh, but it would be nice to get to know a few people in neighbouring villages that are interested in racing. Funny thing is, the person who told me about it said she never dreamt that I would be the sort of person to be interested in racing. Perhaps I need to get a t shirt printed, or develop a special handshake! Or maybe I aught to go to the pub more often!

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Ebor day is a laugh but the Tuesday of the meeting is the best, I am going too it. Sea The Stars will send the Coolmore stallion pimps home with a flea in their ears, he is a king amoing horses, the Coolmore nags are a bunch of Thai Lady boys in comparision…

Seriously though, half of Yorkshire turns up for ebor day, ladies day will fullof chavs and drunken prats both male and female. Go on tuesday, its best day by far…

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Unfortunately, the Wednesday is the only day I can go, so I’ve booked our tickets..I did check that it wasn’t just a boozy day out [worrying memories of a coach trip to Ascot years ago with the local lemonade factory] and it sounds ok, with an analysis of the days racing over breakfast at the pub.At least the Gimcrack is on that day.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5616

Ebor day is very busy but in my experience tends to lack the worst of the alcohol-induced excesses seen at the weekend meetings.

If you like watching the horses I’d suggest you base yourself around the parade rings and saddling boxes. Not overly crowded and the folk milling there are well behaved.

As others have said Tuesday is the pick, for future holiday-booking reference :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.