The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dont pay your mortgage for a year have the money on NZ!

Home Forums Horse Racing Dont pay your mortgage for a year have the money on NZ!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

I am not having a ‘pop’ at Harry Findlay’s advice but rather the Daily Torygraph (aka The Daily Telegraph) for publishing it without any word of warning.
    Sue Mott interviewed pro gambler Harry Findlay and it was published 18/11/ 2006.

Basically Harry’s advice was ‘not to pay your mortgage for a year and to lump it on on the NZ side in the forthcoming rugby world cup.

With around a month before it even starts the Kiwis are 1.55 on betfair thats around 8/15 before commision and there has been so far over £7 million matched up and of that total nearly £6 million on the NZ side.
    So there is some mega money on this event.

However as we all know nothing is a certainty (look at the Celtic home game last Sunday) but with over 14,000 homes already claimed back by mortgage lenders in the first 6 months of this year and also over 125,000 mortgage payers in arrears of 6 months or more if any of these currently have stopped paying the mortgage and instead lumped on NZ following this advice they could well be homeless in 2 months time!

Harry may well have meant this to be a ‘throw away’ quote and to him £2 million or so would not cause the baliffs to arrive but to some with massive money problems thinking they could ‘get out’ of trouble on a bet such as this could well be the final straw.

Of course the Kiwis are the best side but any major injuries or suspensions during the group matches and it could be the worst advice ever.
    The favourites did not win the last Rugby World Cup either!

Trust no one on here has stopped paying rent or mortgage and instead lumping on NZ!

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

Gamblers, even the professional ones, tend to get carried away and excited every so often. I don’t think he meant it to be taken quite so literally.

I also think NZ will win the rugby world cup – but it will not be stroll in the park.

*As for the Celtic reference – anyone who knows anything about that club’s recent dispalys (as I do, being a season tkt holder ) and Kilmarnock’s resolute defending, allied to their manager’s organisational skills, will tell you that the Glasgow club were never a 1 to 5 shot in the first place. The bookies sometimes get carried away too. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Tony25
    • Total Posts 327

In the last world cup their was no strong favourite pre tournament and in all fairness this time round the “ALL BLACKS“look some way ahead of the competition,many teams appear to be in a transition period and fortunately for the “All Blacks“they have a real team so a few injuries wouldn`t affect them has much as the others!!

However,like you say nothing in life is certain and knowone should bet more than they can afford to lose!!

Still,i think this will be a “tap in“ for the best side in the world and im really looking forward to watching the competition!!

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Yes, the last Rugby World Cup proved that ANYONE could win it!!

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Yes, the last Rugby World Cup proved that ANYONE could win it!!

Who won it again? It didn’t seem to get much coverage over here. :roll:

I have to agree with Harry Findlay that NZ look a certainty, but 1.55 for a World Cup is a bit skinny for any country in any sport. I think his little quote was meant with at least a tinge of hyperbole.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

You could have got your mortgage and your neighbours’ on the All Blacks to beat a previously dismal French side in the 1999 semi-final. I seem to remember they were about 16’s on.

It finished 43-32 to France.

Leave the curtains.

Mike

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Nice one, Corm! :D

Colin

Tony25
    • Total Posts 327

Yes the last one must have hurt a few of you :lol:

john2345
    • Total Posts 47

NZ have a relatively poor record as "sure things" in World Cup Rugby since they won in 1987. I agree that on form alone they look good things for this one, but I’ll probably open up my bets on the tournament by laying them, particularly at the sort of prices being quoted.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Gamblers, even the professional ones, tend to get carried away and excited every so often. I don’t think he meant it to be taken quite so literally.

Oh yes he does!

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

rory > "Oh yes he does!"

Well then, the man is clearly bonkers and should be referred straightaway. :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I’d love to have the inside track on Harry- when he briefly had a column in the Racing Post he put up odds-on shots all the time and did his ballcocks and anytime I’ve heard him he’s punting Roger Federer at 3’s on and so on… I don’t know how he makes it pay.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

FOR SALE – TOP CLASS CHASER

Likely to be targeted at Hennessey, Lexus and Gold Cup. Genuine reason for sale. Contact Mr H Findlay.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Lmao, DJ :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.