The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

dodgy jock

Home Forums Horse Racing dodgy jock

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    songloch
    • Total Posts 3

hi all,first post.can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me this,there was a horse about 2001-2002 which was about 30 length clear coming down to the 1 pole and the jockey stopped riding and duly got pipped,all i know is its sp,8/13.can any one remember the horse and jockey,thanx folks,and lots of luck if your havin a bet.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

‘Twas 2004 and a 15/8 shot.

songloch
    • Total Posts 3

definately wasnt fallon,it wasnt a top jockey and sp was def 13 to 8 on

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3326

I reckon this is the one you mean :

Pontefract
    Published: 9 July 2002
    The Stewards called before them A Culhane, the rider of TRUE COURAGE, and asked him to explain why he appeared to drop his hands approaching the line, and was subsequently beaten into second place. Having heard his evidence and viewed a video recording of the race, the Stewards found the rider to be in breach of Rule 156(i) in that he failed to ride out for first place. They suspended him for twenty-one days as follows: Friday 19th to Saturday 20th, Monday 22nd to Wednesday 31st July, and Thursday 1st to Friday 9th August.

AP

songloch
    • Total Posts 3

thats the one,thanks so much for the info as well.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3326

Given the circumstances – True Courage was 10L clear at the furlong according the form book – his breeding was peculiarly appropriate.

His dam was called Try To Catch Me.

berminn
    • Total Posts 94

Sorry to hijack thread but does anybody remember a 2 or 3 horse hunter chase run under rules (Warwick?) 10-15 years ago. Fav was long odds on and clear jumping the last eased up and was caught by the 2nd fav who was subsequently returned no s.p.

Thanks

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

That has a very strong whiff of familiarity about it, Berminn. It was almost certainly the hunter chase at the late, lamented May Saturday evening meeting in which it occurred, so that should help narrow things down a bit.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Bingo.

gc

*************************************************************************************

Warwick

03 May 1997

5:45 Willoughby De Broke Challenge Trophy Novices’ Hunters’ Chase (Class H) (5yo+) (2m4f110y) 2m4½f Good To Firm
    £1,178.80, £288.20

1 Lord Kilton 9 11-7 Mrs D Cowley
    ch g Crested Lark – Kilton Jill (Adropejo) Mr M Cowley (7)

Pulled hard, chased leader, mistake 3rd, lost place 10th, rallied approaching last, strong run to lead flat

2 nk Tom Furze 10 11-12 Mrs D Buckett
    b g Sula Bula – Bittleys Wood (Straight Lad) Mr M Batters (7)

Led, clear 10th, eased from 2 out, headed flat, ran on

2 ran
    NO SP RETURNED

ANALYSIS

This looked so one-sided following the withdrawal of What Chance that no betting was returned. But what should have been a non-event proved anything but, although it was only in the closing stages that it came to life.
    Tom Furze, 1-16 at the last show, must have been 25 to 30 lengths clear of the decidedly sketchy jumper LORD KILTON turning for home, and his rider unwisely soon started to ease him down. Although still a good 10 lengths clear at the last, Lord Kilton’s rider had sensed that his rival was taking things too easily and really rousted his mount.
    Lord Kilton led halfway up the run-in, travelling perhaps twice as fast as Tom Furze, but the drama was still not over, because his rider then nearly threw the race away himself, easing him down in the last few strides, even though Tom Furze was rallying gamely.Winning rider Mark Cowley said: "I thought I had a chance two out and he picked up well when I went for him. He’s always had a gear but his jumping is hairy."
    Malcolm Batters told Katherine Buckett that he never dreamt he could be caught on Tom Furze, as he was so far clear. The 10-year-old was led in, but while he may have been slightly lame it did not stop him rallying when Batters had realised his mistake and there is no doubt he should have won easily.

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

berminn
    • Total Posts 94

Many thanks for that. Actually backed the winner in Corals. Got my money back!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.