The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dirty Leeds

Home Forums General Sports Dirty Leeds

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Morning all. This Saturday I will be attending Bescot Stadium as normal, I will be freezing cold as normal and I will allow the dodgy practices of people leaving the car park to irritate me to distraction, as normal. What will not be normal is the attendance as we are expecting a full stadium for the visit of those charming types from West Yorkshire.

There are 3,000 or so seats in the away end but I gather Leeds wanted 7,500 tickets and obviously this means that many Leeds fans are attempting to get into the home end. In order to thwart them, Walsall Football Club have removed the facility to purchase tickets online so you are forced to ring up, whereupon you are asked a series, or rather one, searching question, namely, "Have you ever been to a Walsall game before?" I suspect they have some very sophisticated voice monitoring device that can detect traces of Yorkshireness but I do think some questions along the lines of, "That Geoff Boycott was rubbish, wasn’t he," might have tripped a few more up.

Anyway, having never had the pleasure of watching Leeds before (for obvious reasons) I was wondering whether there are any forumites who can tell me what I can look forward to. Is the violent, neanderthal reputation of the Leeds hordes deserved or not?

By the way, the word ‘dirty’ is not one of my choosing but an Albion fan I know is unable to say ‘Leeds’ without attaching that particular adjective and it always amuses me.

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

Not been to Elland Rd for many years but my work has brought me into contact with their fans on many occasions and I can’t say that they are too bad.
    I’d rather see them on the schedule than Millwall.

They are a pompous bunch and have some dreadfully irritating songs that they sing until you want to stick your MP3 player up full blast but other than that I think that their team rather than the fans are the dirty ones.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Funny you should mention Milwall, we’ve got them next week.

I’m looking forward to the game. Aside from matches with Albion and the Dingles, the last time the place was really full was probably the end of season clash with Rotherham a few years back and I can remember it being pretty full for Man City and Fulham before that.

2-1 to the Saddlers. You heard it here first.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Andrew,

Funny you should start a topic about dirty Leeds, I’ve just finished an article about dirty players and pinpointed Alan Smith as a dirty player in his Leeds days :D

I quite like Leeds as a football club, well when they are not in the same division as Boro that is :lol: . I think they’ve had some unfair stick in the past, but I think the ‘dirty’ tag comes from many moons ago – or at least that’s what a 50 year old fan tells me. Back in the days of Norman Hunter and Billy Bremner I think he is referring to :lol: .

Mike

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Mike

Mrs Aranalde, on the rare occasions she has watched football matches, tended to refer to Alan Smith as ‘the thug’. A fair summary I think.

I think Leeds probably did inherit the dirty reputation from the 70s but as it was their most successful period they can’t really disown it and probably try to play up to it. There is also no doubt they are going through League One like a dose of salts and will probably go up automatically before Easter.

Didn’t Brian Clough declare to the Leeds players that everything they’d ever won had been achieved by cheating? Hope that story is true.

Would be interested to read that article, when is it published?

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

It will be pubished tomorrow Andrew.

However, funny you should say ‘thug’ about Alan Smith, as I referred to his former teammate, Lee Bowyer. as that :lol:

Mike

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Add Mr Woodgate to the collection and pattern starts to emerge. What’s the collective noun for thugs?

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Add Mr Woodgate to the collection and pattern starts to emerge. What’s the collective noun for thugs?

:lol:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

What’s the collective noun for thugs?

A "duh" of thugs.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I like it. This could be a late Christmas entry into the Schotts Almanack.

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Personally I’d prefer a fistful of thugs.

Back to the original question.

In my ashamedly mis-spent youth I encountered many a run-in with Leeds whose fans were up there with the ICF & Hedgehunters.

However since their midly succesful spell on the pitch in the 90’s their fans have toned it down.

The phrase ‘dirty Leeds’ certainly derives more from on-field antics of the past.

Now Milwall – That is a different story. Fans are all radio.

Lee

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Hedgehunters :lol:

Are you sure you’re not getting mixed up with a decent Grand National horse Wilson :D .

I don’t know the answer, it just sounds funny. I would have thought Headhunters would be more appropriate, but like I say I don’t know.

I remember the ICF though I’m not sure which team it was. Was it West Ham?

One of Boro’s main hooligan gangs in the 80’s was the ‘Frontline’, and I actually know one of the main ring leaders from that gang – a thoroughly nice chap he is now, mid 40’s, love his sport, has a lovely family etc. His name – OatHead :lol:

Mike

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

LOL – Friday beers can do all sorts.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Well Leeds have been and gone and they were a bit of a let down, not particularly dirty and not particularly good either. Their fans made a lot of noise until they went 1-0 down when ‘Silent Night’ was the order of the day. They equalised in the last minute with a deflected 40 yard shot from a freekick that should not have been given and proceeded to celebrate as though they’d won the Champions League. They do have pace and are quite neat but are definitely nothing special and indeed they only managed one shot on target all game. Not very impressed and I would say we’ll be meeting them in the play-offs come May.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.