The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ding Junhai

Home Forums General Sports Ding Junhai

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I’m not sure how many snooker fans amongst you there is, but I’d love to know your thoughts that in my opinion, Ding Junhai is definitely one to avoid until he seriously matures.

Snooker fans amongst you will know of his antics last year, when he broke down and cried in the final of the Masters. He admitted afterwards (after getting beat 10-2) that he didn’t think it was possible to get beat that easy and it had got to him.

Well, I’m afraid, a year on, nothing seems to have changed with this guy. I backed Marco Fu at 7/4 (two winning snooker bets in one day, what’s happening lol) and I was ready to write my money off when Ding was playing really well, 3-2 up and on a 50 odd break, looking certain to go 4-2 up.

Ding missed a simple black (under hit it) and Fu cleared up to take the frame. From that moment on Ding was like a spoilt kid, slouched in his chair, constantly shaking his head and looking dis-interested. He didn’t pot a ball of note after that miss, didn’t make a successful safety shot and basically handed chance after chance to Fu. Don’t get me wrong, Fu was brilliant in the last few frames and took his chances well, but the chances were handed to him.

Fu has now beaten Ding three times in less than two years, and after his last victory in the Grand Prix, Fu said that if you get into Ding’s head he will crack. When Fu was asked how does he get in his head, his simple reply was, "it doesn’t take much". Is this an indication that all the players know that if they get a few frames ahead of Ding, then Ding relaxes his effort and just wants it to end – it certainly looked like that tonight.

I might be being extremely harsh, and that’s why I would welcome your views – but for me, until Ding shows some fight and that he can stay in the game when trailing, he is one to avoid. The good thing about this is that Ding is normally a long odds on shot and you can get some value against his opponents.

God, I can ramble :lol:

Mike

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Hi Mike,
    I can’t believe your post. I was only talking to a friend at work today who is a snooker fan and said in almost as many words :D the same as you. his attitude, he says is all wrong for the exact sane reasons. Bloody hell, you could have been him if you didn’t live in the North!

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Hi Mike — the golf from the USA must be bad if we are all on here :)

I follow snooker but I am not a big fan of it. The reason that Ding Junhai got upset last year was because of the abuse from some sections of the crowd as stated here –

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s … 285831.stm

I remember watching the final and I thought that Ronnie was very sporting in his attitude and help he showed to him. I remember Ronnie sticking a few fingers up at the section of the crowd that was causing the problems.

Also I have friends in China and they told me that it was reported in China that some of the abuse from some members of the audience was racial but he didn’t want to cause a fuss over here……very polite the chinese.

Anyway I agree with your assesment of his attitude and sometimes he looks disinterested when not playing or in contention. So I agree he is one to avoid betting wise for the time being.

One player I thought would do well this season is the Australian Robertson but he has been disappointing. I’ll still be backing him though as I think he’ll come good sometime and the odds may be good.

All the best

Pete

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Thanks for that Pete (and Crizzy).

Pete, at first I was ready to hit the ‘reply’ button when I read that it was because of abuse he reacted so badly last year. I was about to say, that surely you should be able to block that out mentally – every sportsman gets abuse, whether it be boo’s or whatever. Ding admitted that the whole occasion had got to him and I thought a lot of him for admitting it.

However, now that you say he got racially abused then it’s perfectly understandable how he was affected mentally and how he played – I feel for the lad.

This might begger the question, does it matter what kind of abuse it is. Well for me it does. If I was sat in a chair waiting to take a shot and someone was saying, "you’re sh!t", then I could handle that – but if someone was racially abusing me, it would be hard for me not to jump out of my chair and wack the culprit around the head with my cue or even worse.

Look at Zidane in the World Cup Final. Now here is a guy who because of his standing in the game, must of had to withstand every trick in the book to get him rattled – yet the only thing that did, in his final ever game, was someone who allegedly insulted his family. Some abuse you can take, some abuse makes you react in a way you never thought possible.

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

ps:

Pete, I lost interest shortly after I placed another £30 on Scot Verplank at 9.4 when he was just two shots behind on -12. The next hole he had a triple bogey 6 (on a par 3). The girlfriend said, "Aren’t you watching the golf?" – I scored some brownie points by saying through gritted teeth, "No love, you can watch CSI if you like".

Mike

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

It seems that the snooker masters crowd have a reputation of being a bit rowdy sometimes. They have not been so bad this year so far. Always get some idiots though and Hankey had to put up with abuse at the darts last week – don’t know why they picked on him.

As for the golf, Verplank still has a bit of a chance which is more than can be said for any of my choices. It’s a poor tournament though and I’m not enjoying it – looking forward to seeing Tiger play next wek.

Good luck

Pete

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.