The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Devonian

Home Forums Horse Racing Devonian

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

Sorting through some old belongings, I’ve just come across a book called ‘Turf Topics and Backers’ Guide’ by Devonian, apparently a racing correspondent. I don’t know how old the book is but it’s about 140 pages and published in London. Can anyone tell me anything about the author and approximate date please?
    Thanks
    K

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

First published in 1944.

Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

Thanks Rory,
    I didn’t realise it was that old. No wonder he writes about the 1938 jockey table e.g.:-
    Gordon Richards: rides 974; wins 206; 2nd 138; 3rd 135. %21.14
    W. Nevett %17.5
    Eph Smith %13.71
    Harry Wragg %12.63
    R. Perryman %17.97

Also, he writes:
    Make a note of all the placed two year olds in the Coventry, Chesham and New Stakes at Ascot and follow them for the rest of the season, backing them each way, level stakes. In the ten years from 1928 this has shown a profit of 108.75 points.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Courtesy of those placed since 2004 in the Coventry, and thanks only to Lord Shanakil, Intense Focus and Amadeus Wolf (a couple of other small winners), backing purely to win, you’d be £24.88 up.

Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

October 1943:
    "I understand that the Jockey Club have discussed and turned down the camera-finish, simply because they considered the camera was not foolproof!
    Major Petch said, "I am not too keen on the camera at present. Its use would tend to increase the number of dead-heats and the camera is not infallible. I believe that if two cameras are used, one on each side of the winning line, each would be liable to give a different result in a close finish."

Have another gin and tonic, Major!
    K

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.