The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby to be run at 1.30pm

Home Forums Horse Racing Derby to be run at 1.30pm

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Think Rock of Gibraltar’s Guineas was run at half time in the cup final, not that they were on the same channel but just another crap decision from racing’s rulers. Although the race was off 7 minutes late so probably didn’t work out anyway.
    Of course an evening Derby, although preferable to a lunchtime one would be ruled out by Ant & Dec etc.

Surely they must have been aware that the World Cup was being played when it was, some time ago and that the Derby was taking place on cup final day.
    They needed to show some initiative, after all the Derby has even taken place in May.
    I get the feeling that Julie Harrington can’t wait to get away from the sport, she will be no loss. Who actually chooses and appoints these people?

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

To be fair Yeats the cup final was supposed to be played in the evening. The decision to switch it to 3pm was only made on Monday by the police.

The BHA couldn’t have predicted that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

“Who actually chooses and appoints these people?”

An excellent question.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Same people that vote for Brexit and conservators

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 2976

Agree Nathan. And now the train drivers are on strike too!

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

OK, so the Derby is less important than the FA Cup Final. I’m less convinced by the excuse this coming weekend.

Last year the Celebration Chase was run at 3:00, the Bet365 Gold Cup at 3:32. This year, those two races will be run at 1:40 and 2:15, so that ITV1 can show a major sporting event at 3pm, and the remaining races are going to be on ITV4.

Oh yes, that major sporting event – well it’s Rugby Union, the Champions Cup. Big game, full of interest for UK viewers. It’s only a semi final of course, but it’s between an Irish team and a French team, so should command an audience of several hundred on ITV1.

I’m reminded of a famous sketch featuring Cleese, Barker and Corbett. Cleese (Football) “I’m upper class, so I look down on them”. Barker (Rugby) “I’m middle class, so I look up to him, but I look down on him because he’s lower class”. Corbett (Racing) “I know my place”.

For younger readers, here’s the original:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“Same people that vote for Brexit and conservators.”

Very unlikely. These people get appointed because they have good contacts with the political Establishment, which was overwhelmingly in favour of Remain (including the parliamentary Conservative Party).

Participant
    • Total Posts 2976

It’s an argument for the lounge as it’s irrelevant to this discussion but you can hardly describe the likes of Rees-Mogg, Duncan-Smith, Gove, Johnson etc, etc as outside the “political establishment”. Cameron for sure and nobody should forget that he is ultimately responsible for the Brexit mess.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13202

From apracing

“This article from last year would suggest that media interest is much greater for the Derby. Just wonder how many US channels will still be interested given the amended start time.”

https://www.racingtv.com/news/cazoo-derby-more-than-50-broadcasters-to-show-premier-classic

I agree AP, as I laid it out on page 1 of this debate. This isn’t that difficult,
    it’s not a case of fitting the Derby in (despite it having world wide coverage) the
    arguement about the Derby being on the wane is irrelevant. There was nothing to
    stop ITV, as requested by the Met, to start the FA Cup Final at 4.45pm. What
    was wrong with that, why decide to bring it forward to 3PM and thereby force the
    Derby to be run at a ridiculous time. That’s my point. Multi millions watched the
    Derby from all over the world, it didn’t seem that much on the wane with the interest
    from all over as stated in AP’s link. So why 3pm, it F****d up everything when there
    was no need. FA Cup Final at 4.45PM, Derby at 2.30 gives sufficient time for all the
    panels to talk up both events. What would be the problem. It doesn’t matter if you
    think the Derby is not what it was, it just makes sense, or am I missing something :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Only reason I can think of for the earlier kick off would be police wanting the kick off at that time to limit drinking before the match. They would want it even earlier if they could

Participant
    • Total Posts 13202

Fair enough Nathan, I can see the sense behind that but it wasn’t what
    the Met requested. They asked for it to be moved to 4.45pm. So why not
    give them what they want and everything else can fit into place as I
    mentioned above. I don’t see why we shot ourselves in the foot for no
    reason.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

That makes perfect sense for a 4.45pm kick off to me.
    maybe ITV think extra time/penalty’s will mess up the later scheduled.. :scratch:

Participant
    • Total Posts 13202

And if your auntie had balls she’d be your uncle :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

It’s not ITVs decision. The game is on the Beeb as well. I wasn’t aware that the police wanted a 4.45 kickoff in which case it would be the FA who decided on a 3pm ko. No doubt the tv channels and the two clubs were consulted but I doubt ITV had the final say.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

At least with the Derby being at 1.30 the Man Utd fans can watch at home before leaving for Wembley.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

But even if it was at half time they wouldn’t miss it with the mass exodus at 3 down after 20 minutes

Participant
    • Total Posts 1656

I don’t think there will be much of an issue with US broadcasting, as horse racing that isn’t the US Triple Crown is in the category of “put it on only if we’ve got nothing else to show” and there’s nothing else going on at 9am on a Saturday.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 151 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.