The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby to be run at 1.30pm

Home Forums Horse Racing Derby to be run at 1.30pm

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

If the Derby is shown on ITV4 as the same time as the FA Cup final it will get a minuscule audience which will in turn affect betting turnover.

I know it seems ridiculous but lots of viewers are creatures of habit and only watch the traditional channels. Plenty probably do not even know ITV4 exists, still less how to find it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 730

It’s not a surprise they’ve moved it, they had no choice really. Half-time is too risky with stoppages, etc I thought 6 o’clock would be thought about, and could work, but that’s a ‘no-no’.

I am surprised however, that some people don’t understand where The Derby now sits as an annual event. It’s been obvious for years; I did a sweep in work, the year Shaamit won, and it was a struggle to get anybody interested – and there were about 100+ people working that morning.

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 200

Based on media coverage,The Derby is behind The Cheltenham Gold Cup these days.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

This article from last year would suggest that media interest is much greater for the Derby. Just wonder how many US channels will still be interested given the amended start time.

https://www.racingtv.com/news/cazoo-derby-more-than-50-broadcasters-to-show-premier-classic

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Train strike announced for Derby Day. Great- I’ll have to get a taxi now.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

First World, Ascot, problems for Gladders – hope that taxi is an electric one, Mr Green!

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Bicycle it Gladders, leave a day or two in advance

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Racing’s rulers are to blame not ITV.
    Race on the Wednesday and no FA Cup final or train strike and not loads of other race meetings on the same day, as well as other sporting attractions.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I don’t think they have moved it if it clashed with any other sporting event
    Like Richard said earlier its only a clash because of the World Cup being played at a different time, just one of those things.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“Train strike announced for Derby Day. Great- I’ll have to get a taxi now.”

“And people wonder why the planet is f***ed.”

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

Nathan, didn’t they move the start of the Derby once to take place during half time of an England friendly.

We’re always wanting to go back to the good old days. We could have run it at noon like they used to do with the Derby trial at Lingfield on cup final day.

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

And Gladiateur back in the day horses used to be ridden to the racecourse to take part in the big races.

Couldn’t Appleby lend you one of his entrants to get you to Epsom?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

“Nathan, didn’t they move the start of the Derby once to take place during half time of an England friendly”

Madness but probably correct

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

“hope that taxi is an electric one”- It most certainly will be, Chezza
    “Bicycle it Gladders”- I actually don’t know how to ride a bike.
    “Couldn’t Appleby lend you one of his entrants to get you to Epsom”- Only if he wants one of his to get used to carrying a lot of overweight.

CAS- there will be four people, in an electric vehicle, on a 15-20 minute journey. Not at all comparable, except that we’re making the journey for our own gratification.

Participant
    • Total Posts 205

The Derby was moved in 1996 to avoid a clash with England’s first game in the European Championship, the 1-1 draw with Switzerland.

The race went off at 2.25 that year, 35 minutes before the game at Wembley got under way.

This was a switch from the usual off time (3.50 in 1995 and 3.45 in 1997) and I think it was the first Saturday Derby.

I can see the logic of the switch this year, but why so far in advance? Surely moving it to 2.25/2.30 as per the ’96 example would leave plenty of time to focus on the race before switching to Wembley.

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

The Cup Final is on ITV. They would have to move the Derby from the main channel if it was on half an hour before kickoff.

Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 450

“I am surprised however, that some people don’t understand where The Derby now sits as an annual event. It’s been obvious for years; I did a sweep in work, the year Shaamit won, and it was a struggle to get anybody interested – and there were about 100+ people working that morning”

100% this. I’m surprised that this is such a big talking point. It’s a common sense decision, given the stature of the football, and the fact that the derby is just another race now. We should be grateful that it’s getting any terrestrial coverage at all, given its place in the pecking order. It used be one of the Crown Jewels, but those days are long gone.

fwiw, I wish that it wasn’t the case, and although it has been discussed to death, moving it to the Saturday was the death knell. It’s a shame

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 151 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.