The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Deposer

Home Forums Memorials Deposer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Came across this sad video of Deposer, formerly trained by John Best.

Very sad and heart rendering, when you consider 1000 thoroughbreds (BHAs own stats) are sent to abattoirs each year in the UK alone, this is the reality of the situation :cry:

Although welfare standards are consistently improving, I hope one day the blood stained walls of the abattoir is a place no thoroughbred should face for ultimately entertaining us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cASALvt8sVg

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

This really is too awful for words. But I can’t understand how, if some-one was there filming it, why on earth didn’t they help him? Do something? It’s beyond my understanding. For $220? I don’t understand why he wasn’t helped.

linnet
    Participant
    • Total Posts 101

Not surprised at all.
    The lack of responsibility from some owners is the elephant in the room that exists within the racing industry.
    The welfare of ex racehorses should be funded from the industry.

No racehorse should meet that fate, while front of house the champagne corks keep popping!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

I agree the industry should fund thoroughbreds re-homing.

It should really be an easy possibility, each horse is micro chipped these days and issued a passport. There should be some kind of retirement pathway in place.

Funding should start from the breeders and onto the owners having to all contribute to a central fund the industry uses to put towards re-homing.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Poor Deposer didn’t have a hope though – he was gelded for a start (so no use at stud)and then sold abroad, out of reach. It’s inexcusable when at least some owners can afford to keep a horse it’s whole life and not even notice the cost. I don’t think the video of Deposer standing looking lost and bewildered will ever leave me. It’s truly shameful.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

You are right, he was let down all the way. Unfortunately, the welfare and aftercare of racehorses is just an after thought for so many owners who get involved in racing.

• Total Posts 433

Shame on his owners!

• Total Posts 811

I can’t bring myself to watch this … surely more TB’s can find a useful life after racing??? I’ve just started riding one – I must admit when I was presented with him for my riding lesson I was a bit apprehensive – I’m competent but not exactly brave! He stands around 16.3 hh, was apparently in training with Sue Smith (I don’t know his "official" name sadly so I’ve no idea if he was any good on the course) but he’s a real gent and I love riding him. He’s nicely responsive and I don’t feel he’ll zoom off with me. So he’s got a decent life – what a shame poor Deposer didn’t get one. RIP :cry: :cry: :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

So upsetting, I couldn’t watch the video, who took it and as mentioned could they not have helped him?

Has John Best said anything on his website or in his newsletter as it’s surely a problem that needs immediate attention, sadly too late for poor Deposer.

I feel sad and sickened at the way so called human beings can treat such a beautiful and noble creature, those who owned him should be banned for life from ever owning another racehorse.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Apparently this has been known about for some time but has just come to light on here. There’s stuff on Facebook, but I don’t do Facebook.
    An Australian girl filmed him but she’d already rescued two and had no money left (I found this out just in the last day or two).
    A rep of John Best says he would have bought him back had he known and he sold him in good faith.
    I understand he won’t take queries about Deposer though, but I could have that wrong.
    But he was sold to Japan, which to me immediately puts them at risk (Exceller, Ferdinand) – although he was slaughtered in Australia. He was last in his last race in March (I think) slaughtered in February. So not much chance given to him.
    For me there’s just no excuse when an owner can afford to keep a horse and I’m sure any welfare place would have taken a horse of his stature.
    I’m struggling to come to terms with this.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.