The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dennis: wise?

Home Forums General Sports Dennis: wise?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Apparently everyone’s favourite little s**t has decided to leave another club in the lurch to run off and join the football circus that is Newcastle. And the best thing is, it appears that Kevin doesn’t want him. So what’s going on?

Was the new owner unable to choose between Kevin and Dennis so decided to have them both at the same time (as it were)?
    Is something about to explode at Leeds?
    Has little Dennis been promised the job after Kevin’s gone (which let’s face it could be any time in the next twelve months)?

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

Where have you read that Kevin Keegan doesn’t want him? ? ?

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

When asked about Wise at a press conference, Keegan said that the press should ask the chairman about it. As opposed to something like, ‘He’s a great young manager and should be an asset to the club’ or ‘I’m looking forward to working with him’ or something of that nature. I can’t believe that if he was really Keegan’s man, he would be so neutral.

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

Yeh i guess you could say that.

Chris Mort isn’t actually in the country at the moment, and if he isn’t coming as KK’s number 2 or Director of Football, then maybe KK doesn’t actually know the ins and outs like the Chairman does and therefore has told people to speak to the Chairman himself.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

You may be right, perhaps I am reading a little too much into it. Not that I’m sorry to see the little git leave League One. Hopefully the current Leeds slump will continue.

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

To be honest mate, im suprised he didnt leave sooner. The abuse he got from Leeds fans last season was ridiculous.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Not half as bad as the abuse he got when they came to the Banks’s Stadium :D

I don’t really know what all the fuss is about him anyway. He took Leeds down, let’s not forget. He got them going on a good run, but once the momentum went and they lost a couple, they looked ordinary (well they did when we played them) and they are looking at a play off spot at best now.

Coincidentally, I think he is very similar to Keegan, a motivator, not a tactician.

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

I have to say when i heard the news today i was baffled, it was the first i had heard about him coming to us.

People were mentioning him coming as Director of Football, but he isn’t, so i am interested to see in what capacity he will come in as.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

It is an odd one. I would have thought a defensive coach, or indeed any kind of coach would be Keegan’s priority.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Andrew,

Just to clarify Keegans views earlier. When he was asked about Dennis Wise, it was still only a rumour (a strong one at that) and I guess he was being tight lipped about the whole thing.

It was only a few hours later that Leeds announced he would be leaving to joine Newcastle that the rumours became true. I forget the name of the North East reporter for Sky Sports News (David someone) but he is quite clued up and he reported that Keegan took the job knowing that Newcastle wanted to bring in names to fill such roles – though it’s not clear whether Keegan knew, or had a say in, it being Dennis Wise.

Like both of you, I’m astonished Dennis Wise will be going to Newcastle, I really don’t see what he can bring to the table other than aggression :lol:

Mike

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

That’s interesting, thanks Mike. I’m surprised that Keegan would agree to that and it will be interesting to see how it works with Wise.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

In horse racing they (how should I know who "they" are :lol: ) say that money doesn’t speak, it shouts.

Well, in professional football, money doesn’t just shout, it roars!

A Wise move ? :P

Obviously. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

little kev just wanted someone shorter than him at the club – rumour has it mike ashley will take the role of snow white at the club easter play

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8965

I think Wise will have felt isolated at Leeds since Poyet’s departure. Fans never took to him.

As for Newcastle. It’s all shaping up to be a right royal mess. I’d be very surprised if Keegan (and/or Wise) were still there in 12 months time.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Hasn’t he been installed as ‘Director of Football’, or more accurately, ‘Executive Director’?

It just goes to show the problem with English football these days when ridiculous positions like these are made available. Chairmen, who now tend to me ‘modern businessmen’, are creating the sort of organisational structures they’re used to in industry, not realising that it simply doesn’t work in football.

Until we get back to the players playing (and not for £125,000 a week as per Stevie Gerrard – the egos present in our national side are far too big), the manager managing and the chairmen signing the cheques, we’ll continue to trail behind the rest of the footballing world.

The FA are the best example of this new idea that business management is what is needed at a club. Adam Crozier ruined operations at the FA, before going on to single-handedly destroy the Royal Mail, and now we have Brian Barwick running the show whose only footballing accomplishment was editing Match of the Day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.