The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Degas Art

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I’m having an Empty Wallet type confusion attack as to why Degas Art is 16/1 for the Triumph Hurdle. I undertand on form it has 10lb to find with the principals but:

1) It was an excellent Flat Horse rated well into the 100s

2) Its sister Self Defense was a smart flat horse that has turned into a very smart hurdler.

3) Its won both it starts over hurdles and beat useful horses in the process, including the favourite.

4) It had had a hard season on the flat prior to its hurdles runs and according to his trainer wasn’t firing on all cylinders. He has now had a break to freshen him up and progress is expected.

5) The race is the intended (and only) target for him so there are no participation issues.

What am I missing?

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Nothing. :biggrin:  I can’t understand it either. Cracking e/w bet at this stage as I can’t imagine he won’t line up unless he picks up an injury

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Now, for some stupid reason ive got an addiction to have a few ante post bets in the Triumph every year (yes, probably the second worst festival race to have an ante post bet in besides the bumper, and yes, ive had a bet in that too……….mug) and one of the horses i haven’t considered in Degas Art and even i don’t know why.

I think Katchit is home and hosed, unless we get to see Mountain out soon. (he had a sore throat and has been gelded) which is why he hasn’t been out yet…… but still not entered anywhere.

I didn’t like Degas Art on the flat, he was never very straight forward and he had a habit of pulling very hard (he could have been much better in my opinion) and if he pulls very hard around cheltenham the game is up.

Maybe thats why he is available at 16’s, its the only negatives i can think of

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

Quote: from Stormont on 10:29 am on Jan. 17,

unless we get to see Mountain out soon. (he had a sore throat and has been gelded)

<br>Next time I have a sore throat I’m going to keep quiet about it if that’s the latest cure!

AP

(Edited by apracing at 10:52 am on Jan. 17, 2007)

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Quote: from apracing on 10:51 am on Jan. 17, 2007[br]

Quote: from Stormont on 10:29 am on Jan. 17,

unless we get to see Mountain out soon. (he had a sore throat and has been gelded)

<br>Next time I have a sore throat I’m going to keep quiet about it if that’s the latest cure!

AP

(Edited by apracing at 10:52 am on Jan. 17, 2007)<br>

lol

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Reverting to the thread topic, I’ve been following the Irish juvenile form more closely than usual, because I was the underbidder at £17k for a horse called Jack Absolute at the July sales and he’s now running in Ireland.

He’s twice finished second to a Noel Meade horse called Island Life, who was very impressive beating him at Leopardstown on Dec 27, never off the bridle. Jack Absolute boosted that form by winning his maiden last week at Limerick.

Island Life was himself beaten on debut by a filly called Lounaos and she went on to win the Grade 2 juvenile at Leopardstown on Dec 26.

Inevitably all those races in Ireland have been on much softer ground than we’re likely to get at the festival, but both Lounaos and Island Life look realistic contenders to me and I’d have to say I haven’t seen a juvenile over here that struck me as any better. Our bunch seem to taking turns to beat each other so far, with the exception of Katchit, and nobody connected with him thinks he’s good enough in a normal year.

Louanos has fascinating breeding, being by a Japanese sire out of an Irish mare, but it’s clearly a staying family and she’s already won over 2M on the flat. As she’s won her last four races, two flat and two hurdles, and given the good record of fillies in the Triumph, she’d be my choice at present.

AP

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

I think this years triumph will be well below what it usually is. We have usually seen something very good by now or have many good flat recruits, but apart from Mountain we don’t seem to have that many this year.

Lounaos is without doubt a very nice prospect and the best of the Irish in this division so far. Although i did think Jayo was the real deal before the other day, that surely wasn’t his running though. Maybe he was just a bridle horse.

I can’t see Island Life being good enough, although he is improving. Being by Turtle Island it would suggests he needs it very soft and his running style i think confirms this.

As i say though i think this years Triumph will be very weak unless we have a few that come out of the woodwork soon.

I think Katchit is the best of them by far though, will be suited by good ground, won well at Chetlenham beating a few real nice sorts and has good tactical speed. Think he will be hard to beat to be honest

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Intersting remark from Katchit’s connections AP. Is that first hand info?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Aragorn,

Ir was a comment that Alan King made in an interview on RUK before he ran at Cheltenham – can’t actually remember whether it was the first or second run there, so it’s possible he’s changed his mind since!

I guess we’ll get a better indication nearer the day when the jockey bookings show which is their preferred candidate.

AP

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

I backed Mountain at 16-1 today and am told he’ll be out in the near future.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>In fact, if you look at the ‘quotes’ about Katchit on his Racing Post website entry, you’ll see that the trainer has been converted by his last run, although his comments still seem less than totally confident.  

AP

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Quote: from Mounty on 5:33 pm on Jan. 17, 2007[br]I backed Mountain at 16-1 today and am told he’ll be out in the near future.<br>

I have backed him at 20 and i too have been told he will be out soon, but the problem is, i have been told the same thing for the last 2months!!

I was told he would have an entry somewhere this week, but it hasn’t happened.

I’m good friends with the girl who looked after him at Aidan’s and she is surprised he hasn’t been out yet, although she also said he does need plenty of work if he has been out for a while.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Her run behind Hardy Eustace would seem to confirm Louanos as the top Irish challenger. The Post rate that run as worth 5lbs more than Katchit after his Cheltenham win and as she’ll be getting 7lbs off him in the Triumph, she looks a worthy favourite.

AP

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Looking at the field for the Triumph and the likelihood that the Juveniles can’t normally live with the top open novices let alone Champion Hurdle contenders i’d put Katchit up alongside Hide The Evidence in terms of the race yesterday.  Lounaos looks like a cracking bet, in as far as you can get one in a minefield.

aston
    • Total Posts 168

I think Lounaos is banker material at this stage, and she is my only ante-post ticket. I backed her at 8/1 just before the off yesterday for triumph. I heard that connections turned down a monster bid from a very well known Irish owner after her last victory. Very reliable source.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.