The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dead heats…

Home Forums Horse Racing Dead heats…

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

yeats, WRONG.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

Why is it wrong barry? So you’re saying if you take a bet on the unnamed fav in a 2 horse race you would not return the stake if they both returned 10/11? Even Ladbrokes, Hills and Corals wouldn’t stoop that low. It’s happened in the past and the green seal service in the SL ruled quite rightly that stakes had to be returned and Ibas would rule the same no doubt.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Regarding Fanning’s ride, I’m glad to see he’s been punished, though 18 days is harsh. What is annoying though is the terrible inconsistency of the stewards. He did exactly the same thing on another Johnston/Mohammed horse earlier in the year when Boscobel dead-heated with Storybook at Wolverhampton in February.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

yeats, the incident happened about 35 years ago and yes the stake was returned.  At the time I was a 15 year old settler working in the back office of the shop.

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

as it happens I pay full odds a dead heat in my shop so there’s not an issue,

but

HMCE and IR and levy board dont give a flying fig for IBAS,  they want their 15% 10% 22% of the profit

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

the same question occurred the other day in the pub when someone walked in moaning that their £20 bet returned less than that as it dead-heated for first

the rules is the rules and the maths is correct – however, pedants will point out your horse hasn’t actually won as to win the race you must beat all other horses, which you haven’t done – not that you could ever run that fast anyway

barry says he pays full odds on dead-heaters in his shop – good for him as i know corals stitch us for half the stake – i like bonuses

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Well done to Barry, the Robin Hood of bookmaking.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

Quote: from barry dennis on 11:08 am on April 13, 2007[br]as it happens I pay full odds a dead heat in my shop so there’s not an issue,

but

HMCE and IR and levy board dont give a flying fig for IBAS,  they want their 15% 10% 22% of the profit<br>

Obviously you didn’t understand the question barry which is fair enough but not ideal if you’re calling someone WRONG.

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

Quote: from Karly Flight on 8:17 am on April 13, 2007[br]<br>Burroughhill Posted on 7:17 am on April 13, 2007 <br>I’m glad he got a hefty ban. Never mind backing the horse, imagine how peed off the owners/trainer must have felt! A terrible error, and I hope he learns from it.  

<br>I don’t expect Sheikh Mohammed will have lost too much sleep over losing out on a couple of grand in a Leicester Handicap!<br>

Ahhhh, didn’t realise that!

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

Yeats, who’s question, LGR’s is it right you can back a winner and end up losing,<br>or your statement that there is an unwritten law if you cant win you cant lose,

HMCE are far more powerful than a self appointed body like IBAS and they do not recognise monies being returned on any losing bets for whatever reason, odds on deadheaters cannot be ruled as non runners.

how do you bet.

HMCE or IBAS

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

Surprisingly Mark Johnston’s been a supporter of jockeys in similar situations in the past. Can’t understand why they ride a great race for 95% of the the race but slacken off through either laziness or cockiness in the final 100yds. Maybe they should increase the penalties.

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Gosh chaps, I’ll guess we’ll just all have to put up with the stacks of 10-11 joint favourite dead-heaters for the moment then…

Mike

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.