The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Davy Russell

Home Forums Horse Racing Davy Russell

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 751

On “Luck on Sunday” this morning, Davy Russell refused to speak to Bruce Millington.

Not 100% sure why but I am guessing it is because of a mildly critical article Millington wrote in the Racing Post over the incident when Russell punched a horse at Tramore.

I thought it was petulant of Russell to refuse to speak to Millington. I honestly thought he was a bigger character than that. Luck should have stopped the interview and told Russell it was not up to him to dictate who appears on RTV.

admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 763

Awkward stuff for the host while Millington looked pretty annoyed after. Russell is a pretty unrelenting character – I reckon if you cross him you stay crossed.

Cormack15

shipithollabolla
    Participant
    • Total Posts 120

Amusing stuff. Good fun to see Millington made to look a fool on TV (why is he still a thing?) but pathetic from Davy Russell.

It’s a bit of an own goal for Davy really as I think many had forgotten what he did to that poor horse. Now we’ve all had a little memory jog before Cheltenham.

Nick Luck and his show really wind me up though. Seems like all the grifters in this sport get more than their share of airtime through him: Dave Yates, Neil Channing, Millington…

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8836

I wouldn’t say pathetic from Davy Russell in as much as he is entitled to speak to who he wants to or otherwise. But you’d think he could have saved the public show by letting them know beforehand he wasn’t prepared to speak to Millington.

I think it is unfair shipit to label any of those three ‘grifters’. All three have made their way legitimately to where they are at. They may not appeal to you and that is fine but to call them grifters is unnecessary and unwarranted.

Louise12
    Participant
    • Total Posts 212

What this does show is how the racing media are expected to toe the line.

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3014

I wouldn’t say that at all, he was the top man in the trade paper and during his time at the helm it certainly seemed like he tried to drag racing under the bus.
    Instead of offering balanced viewpoints from both sides of the coin, Bruce enjoyed grabbing headlines by going for controversy only. This didn’t go missed throughout race and I’m sure he’s not very popular at all.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 941

Jack it’s a reflection of the times , the news 20 plus years ago was reported without judgement , it was upto you how you chose to judge/analysis it , now the news is presented based on said news owners own view or stance ….cough Murdoch … , a further dumbing down of society , people use to be famous for a talent or skill ….kids now just want to be famous ….example the non story of Gemma Collins sextape …she now has conf she lied ….why God was this ever a story …why was TV time even spent on her …I’ll stop complaining

shipithollabolla
    Participant
    • Total Posts 120

With undue respect cormack15, if you really are 15 years old (!), I don’t think it’s your place to comment on here.

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 672

What is a grifter? New word to me.

admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 763

@Purwell

From the “Urban Dictionary”:

A Grifter, is somebody who can influence anybody, anywhere, at anytime, into doing whatever they choose to have them do, that will result in the grifter’s personal gain. Usually monetary, but really anything that benefits him or her somehow.

It’s absolutely NOT all of these technical things that puts this person in a specific box or particular “genre” of criminal. This person can literally become anyone or anything they want to. Not nessecarily sociopathic, but I’m sure it helps to be dead inside. Learning other people and how they react to any given situation is a must, because that is the core of what a grifter is: a student of human behavior. And once they have that mastered, the world is their playground.

Con artist, scam artist, Only a real grifter will leave a person thinking that they achieved exactly what they wanted to get out of whatever endeavor was initiated by the grifter. I read other definitions and people said things like “they don’t have a home of their own and they move around from place to place”… I’m sure this CAN be true, in some circumstances. But again,
    You cannot pigeonhole a real grifter. They can be whoever they want to be, and that includes a person who has a normal life,
    In their own home. Someone has been watching way too many movies, and the stylized depiction of a “professional” con artist, is way way too romantic for what happens in the real world. Grifter’s are operators that are on the highest level of running the con game on people.
    This guy wasn’t your run of the mill con man. He was a grifter, running game on everybody in the room, and having the luxury of being able to pick and choose who his next mark would be. He picked that woman like he was picking low hanging fruit from a tree, and when it was all over, his pockets were full, hers were empty, and they both had smiles on their faces. You were out of your depth the moment you walked into the room and he spotted you and sized you up in all of 5 seconds.

Matron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.