The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Darlan

Home Forums Memorials Darlan

Viewing 14 posts - 136 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7833

I suppose they can’t win, given that we tend to complain about them brushing horse fatalities under the carpet too often, but it was uncomfortable viewing yesterday and I really felt for McCoy. There’s a time and a place for everything and the interview with him straight after the race wasn’t the right time imo.

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

I did notice that when Alice Plunkett was interviewing McCoy as he made his to the winner’s enclosure with My Tent Or Yours ( ridiculous name ! ), he specifically told her that he did not want to talk about Darlan, whereupon Alice in Wonderland asked him about Darlan. :roll:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4608

I suppose they can’t win, given that we tend to complain about them brushing horse fatalities under the carpet too often, but it was uncomfortable viewing yesterday and I really felt for McCoy. There’s a time and a place for everything and the interview with him straight after the race wasn’t the right time imo.

Tom O’Ryan, working for Racing UK, at Market Rasen on Tuesday did it the right way.

He approached McCoy before racing asking if he would be interviewed on RUK adding, "I have to ask you this but if you say no I will fully understand."

I think that was a good approach as it gave McCoy the opportunity to talk if he wanted but he wasn’t put in a position where he felt he was obliged to and nobody ended up in an awkward position.

Personally I just don’t see the point of asking McCoy’s view about what happened – the horse has died and nothing McCoy says will change that and it was evident he was upset by what happened, so why ask him?

The Ante-Post KingThe Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8708

Personally I just don’t see the point of asking McCoy’s view about what happened – the horse has died and nothing McCoy says will change that and it was evident he was upset by what happened, so why ask him?

Paul,what intrigues the Public about the death of certain horses,not all is just how good they were,or in Darlans case how good they potentially were.AP knows just whereabouts Darlan was in that pecking order as does Nicky Henderson but in life they wouldn’t tell there Mothers he was a certainty for the Champion hurdle,in death its amazing just how well connections knew there horses and often divulge this to us mere mortals.Thats what your Professional Racing Reporters/Presenters are trying to gauge for our benefit and theirs,thats all! I’m a little dissapointed in your cold calculated attitude of late,you are beginning to sound a bit Gingerish!!

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8781

Lovely horse and a very, very sad loss for all concerned with him (and for racing generally) –

but to state he was a certainty for the Champion Hurdle is nonsense. He still had quite a bit to prove IMO.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8708

Lovely horse and a very, very sad loss for all concerned with him (and for racing generally) –

but to state he was a certainty for the Champion Hurdle is nonsense. He still had quite a bit to prove IMO.

He was well on his way to proving it Corm,he’d have won by at least 3 lengths at Doncaster after 2 pieces of work this year so there was another 5-10lb in him to take to Cheltenham.If

Rock on Ruby

does win the Champion again there will be plenty saying "What could have been" and I’ll be one of them!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7833

I feel sorry for Rock on Ruby in that he’s one of those horses that everyone assumes wins races because other horses lose [eg Hurricane Fly last year]. Even if he wins again this year, and wins well it’ll always be ‘ah yes but’.

harvey2000
    • Total Posts 133

To say that Darlan would have beaten Rock On Ruby by 3-4 lenghts is a bit of an assumption in my opinion. He was a good length down approaching the last, it’s a hurdles race and they need to be jumped, so depending on how the last hurdle was jumped would determine how well he was actually going. Noel Fehily said ROR was idling after being left in front, I actually think ROR still had enough left to hold Darlan off. How can anyone say how much Darlan would have found if he actually jumped to the other side? As tragic a moment as it was, nobody can actually say how good the horse was. He may well have cruised passed ROR, he may well have found nothing off the bridle and stayed a length down at the finish. Why speculate when you can only judge a horse on it’s merits, and ROR won the race? Unfortunately for connections, and also for race fans, we will never know how good he may or may not have been. But unfortunately for ROR, he will never be rated because there will always be a "what if" beside him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8708

To say that Darlan would have beaten Rock On Ruby by 3-4 lenghts is a bit of an assumption in my opinion. He was a good length down approaching the last, it’s a hurdles race and they need to be jumped, so depending on how the last hurdle was jumped would determine how well he was actually going. Noel Fehily said ROR was idling after being left in front, I actually think ROR still had enough left to hold Darlan off. How can anyone say how much Darlan would have found if he actually jumped to the other side? As tragic a moment as it was, nobody can actually say how good the horse was. He may well have cruised passed ROR, he may well have found nothing off the bridle and stayed a length down at the finish. Why speculate when you can only judge a horse on it’s merits, and ROR won the race? Unfortunately for connections, and also for race fans, we will never know how good he may or may not have been. But unfortunately for ROR, he will never be rated because there will always be a "what if" beside him.

Harvey,watch and learn!

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/resu … 980cda1ead

Pretty clear now what he would have done! Did you notice how 4 of them jump the 2nd last in a line and Whoosh off he goes to win by 5 lengths easing down……..Different Class!

harvey2000
    • Total Posts 133

A totally different race and nothing in line up of the calibre of a current champion hurdler. I see your point of view, and clearly your opinion of Darlan is a high one, but my opinion is, we will never know what he might have found if he got to the other side.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26562

You are right Harvey, we don’t know what Darlan would’ve found after the final flight. But looking at his previous race/s the probability is – plenty.

value is everything
    harvey2000
    • Total Posts 133

In all probability he could well have, but who’s to say Rock On Ruby wouldn’t have found more?
    Darlan obviously had plenty of class, all I’m saying is he was a length down, up against a champion hurdler, and it’s possible he wouldn’t have beaten him.
    Still very sad what happened.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26562

Again Harvey, you are absolutely right. The game is all about probabilities. :wink:

value is everything
    RedRum77RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1549

The game is all about probabilities. :wink:

[b:fdvpnt1p]OR TO PUT IT ANOTHER WAY. "PERCENTAGES"[/b:fdvpnt1p][/color:fdvpnt1p] :lol:

Viewing 14 posts - 136 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.