The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Curragh taking steps to devalue Doncaster Leger

Home Forums Horse Racing Curragh taking steps to devalue Doncaster Leger

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Since the Legers are on the same day…..

The Curragh has added the National Stakes to the Saturday card taking all the Irish Trainers/Jockeys away from Doncaster.

This leaves Fallon to take the ride on Age for AOB as Johnny will be riding Yeats and Steinbeck/Alfred Nobel or whoever in the National.

http://www.irishracing.com/v5fixinfo?pr … 2009-09-12

Also there is a great supporting card with more Group races.

Also a special Vincent O Brien Tribute day will be in store.

Very Interesting this by the Curragh….almost means for certain that the English Leger will be the afterthought for most trainers instead of the foremost race that it has been since the last gods knows how long.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Yes, but in the past I’m sure the Irish Champion Stakes used to be on St Leger day, because there were a few Legers when Frankie was in Ireland.

Also no horse runs in both Legers.

For some of us, the main concentration will be on the Flying Childers. 8)

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

Wallace, in last seasons St Leger there were only five Irish-Trained runners ridden by Irish-based jockeys. Two of that 5 were on supposed AP O’Brien pacemakers. I don’t really know what your argument is, as Johnny Murtagh will probably be the only one affected. Who knows, maybe Seamie Heffernan will take those Curragh rides anyway.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Was the National Stakes not moved from the Sunday because it has clashed with either the All-Ireland hurling or football final in the past??(incidentally there wouldn’t be a clash if it was on the Sunday this year)

I wouldn’t go to a flat racing meet that often, no more than a handful of times a year usually but I’ll be driving down the road to the Curragh for this. Looks a class day’s racing on paper.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

If they ran the Leger on the chase course, it would pi*ss all over every other card that weekend.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

The title of this thread is something you’d expect on a rag tabloid paper.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

If they ran the Leger on the chase course, it would pi*ss all over every other card that weekend.

:lol:

Good man Grass. The Kerry National is only a few weeks away!!

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

"Grasshopper" wrote: If they ran the Leger on the chase course, it would pi*ss all over every other card that weekend.

:lol: flat jockeys biting the dust everywhere you look! :twisted:

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

They can have a nice bonfire using those horrid English hurdles :twisted:

Doncaster hav turned their premir race into a chav filled piss up witha crap under card.

Ditch the booze out front and get the meeting down too two days of quailty racing.

As for the Curragh, i couldnt give a rats arse what they do, the irish version stinks, I will enjoy the action from the the Curragh, but the forms from that race is lousy…

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

"The title of this thread is something you’d expect on a rag tabloid paper."

I have found a future career as a HACK
    8)

Yes while it will only affect AOB and John Murtagh mostly its disappointing that they couldnt find different Saturdays for the racing after all there is terrible racing on a lot of Saturdays.

A lot of Irish Racing elders are seriously annoyed that AOB goes to Doncaster on Leger day when they believe he should support the Irish one. I think that argument is pretty pointless as many dont care about the Irish Leger and the English one is a Bumper for flat Horses. But nevertheless this change of the National to the Card makes sure he wont be going anywhere now even if the GAA was the reason but they dont even get a full crowd most years for the Hurling and Kilkenny isnt the hotbed of Racing supporters.

My point is the Doncaster Leger Saturday is a part of the weekend racing instead of the Racing Weekend.

On the Heff point…turns out the man has got himself a Agent for the first time ever last month. I cant see him taking a ride on a "BIG" horse in the race. Afterall his climbdown from the Drumbeat affair was rather Humilating for the man. Mind you Colm should get more rides….that fella is quality in the saddle

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

Agreed, Colm O’Donoghue is a top class jockey. Heffernan does have a decent big race record for O’Brien though.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

" But nevertheless this change of the National to the Card makes sure he wont be going anywhere now even if the GAA was the reason but they dont even get a full crowd most years for the Hurling and Kilkenny isnt the hotbed of Racing supporters.

I think it was more that RTÉ didn’t want to cover two days of racing on a weekend that clashed with an All-Ireland Final due to their cutbacks.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Yeah that could be a good reason also…..but i didnt really think RTE gave a monkeys about Group 1 races in Ireland. For Instance they wont be showing the Moyglare this weekend and thats a Group 1.

Maybe they should spend less money on the bloody Soccer rights…its scandlous that we cant watch Heino Cup/Magners League Rugby on RTE when Rugby is probaly the 2nd Sport after GAA

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3327

Maybe they should spend less money on the bloody Soccer rights

I don’t follow it that closely, but recent publicity had led me to believe that Rugby is the number one ‘bloody’ sport.

AP

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Racing will definitely be one of the casualties of their cutbacks anyway. They covered the full week of Galway last year but only had Monday-Thursday this year. They didn’t cover the rescheduled Champion Stakes last year or the rescheduled Hattons Grace meet in ’06. Thyestes Day at Gowran hasn’t been broadcast in a few years as well.

TG4 used to cover the weekend at Galway and they’ve had full coverage of Listowel for a few years now. Hopefully they’ll pick up a few of the days that RTÉ have jettisoned.

In fairness to RTÉ I think their racing coverage is actually quite good. Ted and Bob Hall are entertaining and Brian Gleeson and Tom Lee are decent in the betting ring. It is a pity that the big wigs in the sports department are more interested in paying through the nose to secure rights for soccer instead of promoting indigenous teams and sporting events.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Why in the World do they cover Galway….the meeting is thrash from the Horse Racing point of view.

More interested in puting on a show than covering a Sport ald RTE IS

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

I’d agree re: Galway but you get bigger crowds on Galway Hurdle day than you will for any big day at Punchestown, Leopardstown, Fairyhouse and the Curragh. Presumably it is a similar story with the tv viewing ratings.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.