Coventry Stakes

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2014 Coventry Stakes

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by JJMSports JJMSports 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4526

This has a weaker feel than usual.

The market appears to revolve around reputation rather than the racetrack. The favourite appeared to be beaten on merit last time but is less than half the price of his conqueror. If anything you might expect Kool Kompany to extend his superiority as he was drawn out wide and raced much too freely to halfway. Adaay should run well but on a relatively quick surface I have a nasty feeling he might be staying on inside the final furlong without quite getting there. Cappella Sansevero is closely matched with Kool Kompany through Toscanini. A strong traveller, the way he fell over the line at Naas makes you wonder whether the Norfolk might have suited him a little better. Most of the fancied runners are drawn together, the exception being The Wow Signal. Well done if you got the 33/1 initial offer from Bet365. I suspect it didn’t last too long. His form couldn’t have worked out better but coming from a stable not at all used to success at this level I think he is now much too short. Perhaps he can win on the bridle but increasingly with Dettori I think they need to.

Although it is not inconceivable one of the other lightly raced types might take a big step forward I doubt that the winner will come from anything other than those at the top end of the market. Kool Kompany each-way still looks a shade of value.

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 22

I like Jungle Cat tomorrow. It’s latest win at Goodwood looked quite taking, I liked the way he got the horses in behind at work early whilst he sat there comfortably on the bridle, when the third found its stride on the rail and closed, Jungle Cat just kicked on and went again.

The second came out and won at Salisbury on Sunday to boost the form further.

Although beaten comfortably by the John Quinn horse on debut, I can’t have their being an 11 length difference between these two horses, so inclined to think Jungle Cat didn’t give its true running on debut on softish ground.

Kool Kompany sets a very good standard and has won its races professionally and with a bit in hand. Very surprised that he is not favourite and will be a big danger.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4526

I had a look at Jungle Cat when he was 25/1. He has been tipped up by Hugh Taylor and is now half the price. If there was any value it has probably disappeared.

Even allowing for the different conditions to try and overturn 20 lengths is asking for a huge leap of faith. Add in the Johnston yard are hit and miss at the best of times and far more miss than hit when it comes to two-year-old pattern races. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him run well without being placed.

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 22

I backed it EW over the weekend at 25s. The Wow Signal was hugely impressive, if it’s win was not flattered then he wins this. Whilst nothing was gonna beat it on debut, I can’t help but think main rivals didn’t run their race.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

Kasb was an early favourite for this race after a winning debut at Newbury. John Gosden pointed out that his previous winners of the same race had done nothing afterwards and this fellow duly met defeat at odds on next time, although, in his defence, it was soft that day.

As usual, it doesn’t take long before Aiden O’Brien horses fill the leading places in the ante post market for this race and War Envoy and The Great War soon showed in the first couple of spots on the list, although the latter drifted before being pulled from the race. The former met defeat behind Kool Kompany on his next start and it was a bit surprising to see him available at half the odds of his conqueror yesterday. War Envoy has been a drifter this morning and they are now closer in the betting. Both horses need to be considered but I prefer to look elsewhere.

Cappella Sansevero is 3/3 and has to be considered. My slight worry for him would be faster ground than he has encountered so far and a scrambling win from Dick Whittington, who went on to be beaten at very short odds next time. Just enough negatives to leave him out of calculations for me anyway.

My longer term pick was Adaay, who made a winning start in a race won by Canford Cliffs in his year. He went on to beat impressive debut winner Mind Of Madness at Yarmouth in a race said to be for the purpose of giving Adaay some experience before today. William Haggas seemed quietly confident that evening and it may well be that his colt beat another smart horse, who contests the final race on the card today. I backed Adaay at 12/1 and am hoping he can sit behind the pace and finish well, as he has done on both starts so far.

The horse I fear most is The Wow Signal, whose race I tried to draw attention to on the main forum due to the amazing winning margins. I had very few takers on that thread, but those who paid attention will have seen horses beaten 9 and 20 lengths come out and win well since and it can’t be often that an Ayr maiden throws up two realistic Coventry contenders. Slight concern about the different ground today but this horse has earned his place in this company.

Probably not the best of renewals and nothing that really appeals as Guineas material for next year, although that may be different after today, particularly if the O’Brien horse were to win.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

Not good enough from Adaay and he never picked up today.

The danger did the business and I think we will need to go back a long way to find an Ayr maiden 1-3 filling the same positions in The Coventry. What odds the second horse Doc Charm the next time he runs now?

Sadly for me I missed the first prices on The Wow Signal for the Coventry, congratulations to anyone who got in early.

Kool Kompany and War Envoy were both disappointing and perhaps that wasn’t a great race at Naas. Could also be that Kool Kompany is better with cut, as the Hannon team had talked about not running today if the ground was fast. In retrospect perhaps they regret not making that move now.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4526

The danger did the business and I think we will need to go back a long way to find an Ayr maiden 1-3 filling the same positions in The Coventry. What odds the second horse Doc Charm the next time he runs now?

Sadly for me I missed the first prices on The Wow Signal for the Coventry, congratulations to anyone who got in early.

Kool Kompany and War Envoy were both disappointing and perhaps that wasn’t a great race at Naas. Could also be that Kool Kompany is better with cut, as the Hannon team had talked about not running today if the ground was fast. In retrospect perhaps they regret not making that move now.

Both the Adaay and Kool Kompany form took a hammering in the last. It certainly makes landing a gamble a bit easier when the original favourites run that badly. I wouldn’t have thought it was ever the best idea to concede a dozen or more early lengths to an American raider and even worse to switch away from the pace but that’s Jamie Spencer for you.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4014

Same ride by Jammie in the Coventry. No?

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

Both the Adaay and Kool Kompany form took a hammering in the last. It certainly makes landing a gamble a bit easier when the original favourites run that badly. I wouldn’t have thought it was ever the best idea to concede a dozen or more early lengths to an American raider and even worse to switch away from the pace but that’s Jamie Spencer for you.

I went right off Mind Of Madness after watching Adaay’s run but that’s the gamble. I expected him to drift right out after the form getting a kicking in the Coventry but that’s punters for you.

It seemed suicidal to hold Mind Of Madness up when he was dropping back in trip today and with a US horse in the field who would clearly be kicked on early. It is not rocket science the way Wesley Ward lets his horses bowl along but, as you say, Jamie Spencer is nothing if not one-dimensional and rides everything like it was Dancing Brave.

I did have a peep at Hootenanny when he was entered in The Coventry and I read that the trainer expected a big run after a debut win and then everything going against his horse on the second start. Switched to the shorter race I should have taken the hint but the odds were too short by the time the penny had dropped.

JJMSports
    JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2019

IMpressive from the winner but even moreso from Jamie Spencer on the Qatar Racing colt, who took a while to get going before making stealthy late headway. Both the type to keep on the right side of.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.