The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Could Ryan Moore win SPOTY 2011?

Home Forums General Sports Could Ryan Moore win SPOTY 2011?

Viewing 7 posts - 35 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    jibsa
    • Total Posts 164

I am a big fan of Ryan Moore and think he is at least as meritworthy in a sporting sense as say Stevie G, Andy Murray, Lewis Hamilton etc on the usual criteria of success, skill, professionalism etc.

But I can’t foresee a set of realistic circumstances where he would ever win a Sports Personality of the Year. It’s partly a personality issue – he’s rather taciturn and guarded in what he says perhaps for professional reasons and perhaps because he’s not an extrovert. But more importantly it’s hard to see how he could do something so noteworthy that might bring sufficient public attention. I can’t see him emulating AP’s dominance or Frankie’s magnificent 7. I don’t think being champion jockey or winning the Derby again would make much difference. Perhaps his best hope would be some sort of lifetime achievement recognition towards the end of his career.

So there we have it. One of our finest sportsmen, arguably the best jockey in the world, in a major spectator sport, who doesn’t seem to get much public recognition.

Having a good or any personality has not stopped the likes of Andy Murray, Nigel Manson and Ryan Giggs and many more winning it

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

I suspect Moore quite rightly couldn’t give two hoots about SPOTY, a vastly overrated award these days.

Used to be compulsive viewing years ago, a bit like A Question of Sport but that stopped long ago.

You even get told who you can vote for these days.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

Aye it’s a shame we can’t vote for horses as some of these have more personality than some sports stars :wink:

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

A few years ago wonder-dog Westmead Hawk was about 5th in the betting at one stage during a particularly poor sporting year.

Would have been a blinding interview with Sue Barker. "Westmead, how does this feel?"
    "Rrrrruf!"

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

A few years ago wonder-dog Westmead Hawk was about 5th in the betting at one stage during a particularly poor sporting year.

Would have been a blinding interview with Sue Barker. "Westmead, how does this feel?"
    "Rrrrruf!"

Still more than you’d get out of Ryan Moore :wink:

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I am a big fan of Ryan Moore and think he is at least as meritworthy in a sporting sense as say Stevie G, Andy Murray, Lewis Hamilton etc on the usual criteria of success, skill, professionalism etc.

But I can’t foresee a set of realistic circumstances where he would ever win a Sports Personality of the Year. It’s partly a personality issue – he’s rather taciturn and guarded in what he says perhaps for professional reasons and perhaps because he’s not an extrovert. But more importantly it’s hard to see how he could do something so noteworthy that might bring sufficient public attention. I can’t see him emulating AP’s dominance or Frankie’s magnificent 7. I don’t think being champion jockey or winning the Derby again would make much difference. Perhaps his best hope would be some sort of lifetime achievement recognition towards the end of his career.

So there we have it. One of our finest sportsmen, arguably the best jockey in the world, in a major spectator sport, who doesn’t seem to get much public recognition.

Having a good or any personality has not stopped the likes of Andy Murray, Nigel Manson and Ryan Giggs and many more winning it

Indeed. Nigel should have let his brother Charles receive the award on his behalf. Let’s see Lineker make his smart arse puns with ‘Helter-Skelter’ himself staring wild-eyed at him.

jibsa
    • Total Posts 164

Indeed. Nigel should have let his brother Charles receive the award on his behalf. Let’s see Lineker make his smart [expletive] puns with ‘Helter-Skelter’ himself staring wild-eyed at him.

Aye I meant Mansell, see he’s so instantly forgettable

Viewing 7 posts - 35 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.