The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Could Ryan Moore win SPOTY 2011?

Home Forums General Sports Could Ryan Moore win SPOTY 2011?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Does it matter? I suspect he has quite happy with little public recognition and couldn’t give two figs about SPOTY, neither do I.

Variety is the spice of life, he’s a great jockey and it would be pretty boring if all jockeys were of similar personalities.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

No.

Outside of racing has anyone heard of him? It was hard enough to sell A P McCoy and his win had plenty to do with a campaign and a poor year – he beat off Phil ‘The Power’ Taylor.

As for merit if a really great jockey like Lester Piggott couldn’t win it then why should Moore? Currently, he is arguably just the best of a very moderate bunch.

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

In a nutshell…no.

I reckon if I did a straw poll at work as to whom Ryan Moore is, the majority would say the American Golfer of the same name.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

What I don’t undestand about him is that I alway assumed he was just very intorverted but supposedly he’s the life and soul of the party in the weighing room. Which, to me just make him appear rude to the general public. I had a thought the other day :idea: that perhaps Michael Stoute [equally taciturn when dealing with the press] still bears a grudge from when he wanted to work in the news media bit didn’t get the job. I still can’t visualise him working on the Ch4 team had his life panned out differently.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

He is apparently a joker, but he doesn’t like the media part of it and he also likes people to think he is miserable why do you think he treats Robert Cooper the way he does.

After all he is just doing a job and goes home afterwards, maybe he doesn’t want a microphone sticking in his face after every race.

As embarrassing as it can be seeing Robert Cooper stand there like a div as Moore ignores him that’s how he chooses to do his job.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

Ryan is a bit flat.I prefer Jamie out of the Moore clan.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

There must be a way of handling questions without appearing rude. At least there should be after so much practice. It is clear the likes of Moore and Stoute just don’t care about the negative impression they create. Things are not helped when interviewers such as Lydia just attempt to laugh it off. No it isn’t amusing and you wouldn’t react like that to any ‘ordinary’ person would you?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

He behaves in a ‘Kevin the teenager’ way I feel, and that’s what I find annoying. Whatever our profession or age we should always be polite imo.

tony321
    Participant
    • Total Posts 368

If by some remote chance Moore did win he would probably not turn up to receive the prize

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

There is no danger of Moore ever being nominated for SPOTY as the only racing figures that the general public have heard of are either self publicists like McCririck and Dettori or more recently McCoy due to his enduring success. To them Moore is just another jockey in an esoteric minority sport.
    I don’t believe that the questioning of jockeys on course immediately after the finish should be permitted. Some lightweight broadcaster asks vacuous questions such as "what did it feel like to win?" . Jockeys should be given time to compose their thoughts before speaking. There is also a school of thought that those who should know first are the owners paying £25k per year to keep a horse in training. At one point boxing banned these intrusive interviews.
    Whether by human nature or design Moore’s press relations are particularly poor and I think I read somewhere that Hannon snr had a word with him at one point. His guvnor Stoute went to the same charm school and cannot hide his disdain for the press, often beginning to walk away during an interview. In fairness Leighton Aspell also appeared underwhelmed immediately after his Grand National success this year when a mike was poked under his nose and he appeared strangely detached. I’m sure the PR and marketing types in Racing for Change or whatever they call themselves get frustrated as media training for racing figures was one of their initiatives.
    Lastly in fairness to Moore I have never seen him refuse an autograph request. He just won’t engage in conversation or eye contact with the person requesting. Never did Piggott any harm but I guess times have moved on.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

When all group 1’s for the season are won via Hannon and er Frankie, Fallen and…… er
    Hughes we will see them collect team of the year. :D

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

After all he is just doing a job and goes home afterwards, maybe he doesn’t want a microphone sticking in his face after every race.

I think nearly every jockey detests being interviewed straight after a race. Within a minute after passing the winning line and still trying to catch their breath, the thought of "here we f*****g go" must surely enter their minds whenever they see an interviewer lying in wait and ready to pounce with the same old questions.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

I think nearly every jockey detests being interviewed straight after a race. Within a minute after passing the winning line and still trying to catch their breath, the thought of "here we f*****g go" must surely enter their minds whenever they see an interviewer lying in wait and ready to pounce with the same old questions.

I think that’s true of most sportsmen in all sports.

At least it gives footballers the chance to hone their active present perfect tense skills:

"I’ve looked up, seen him making a run, he’s put the ball in the box, and I’ve just got me head to it Brian"…

Mike

tony321
    Participant
    • Total Posts 368

Seeing Rishi with his mike on a stick will give them nightmares

• Total Posts 660

Not this year. But a good year to skip as Rory or Lewis will win anyway. Slightly strange he wasn’t nominated after a very good year for him – apparently he is less noteworthy than a lot of minor sports people who in my view don’t seem to have achieved anything very memorable.

However, I think the Ryan Moore PR machine is perhaps cranking up. He has been profiled on BBC and I reckon if he can do something major like a Derby Arc double he could be in with a shout. Otherwise he will have to wait for a year toward the end of his career when competition is weak and he can pick up Ryan Giggs-like lifetime achievement recognition.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

However, I think the Ryan Moore PR machine is perhaps cranking up. He has been profiled on BBC and I reckon if he can do something major like a Derby Arc double he could be in with a shout.

Don’t winning in every continent of the world count, (except Antarctica) and many are group 1 races.

BY PETER SCARGILL 8:13AM 18 NOV 2014
    DESPITE claiming many of racing’s grandest prizes and receiving worldwide acclamation for his riding, Ryan Moore says he has given little thought to his achievements in 2014, although he admitted on Monday it is something he should take time to appreciate.

"I probably should enjoy it a bit more but I keep looking ahead and moving on really," he said. "Racing moves quite fast and there is always another race upcoming so I don’t get the chance to dwell too much on wins or losses."

Moore’s wins this year have come across the globe and have included the Melbourne Cup, Irish Champion Stakes, Cox Plate, Canadian International, Beverly D Stakes, Secretariat Stakes, Prix du Jockey Club, Irish 1,000 Guineas, Dubai Sheema Classic and Coronation Stakes.

Along with his wins, Moore has also carved out a tall reputation with owners, trainers and punters in many different countries. The praise was labelled "very flattering but probably untrue" by the rider in an interview with BBC Radio 5 live in which he also tagged himself as "a bit selfish" for not promoting racing more.

"It is said that I should probably spend more time in the media or promoting the sport but I can only focus on my own area and that is being as good as I can," he said. "It is probably a bit selfish really but you have to be in racing and in most sport."

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

I never knew he had em :shock:

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.