The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Coolmore history q

Home Forums Horse Racing Coolmore history q

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Can anyone help fill me in on the development of Coolmore from 90/91 to the present day. What I’m essentially looking to fill in is how Coolmore developed from Magnier and Sangster to Magnier & Tabor (& Smith).

All info (and opinions) welcome

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Salselon, Sangster & Co had it all their own way in the late seventies to early to mid eighties, usually packing off their good horses to stand in America for ridiculous money, which is why their horses very seldom stayed in training after their 3yr old campaign. Golden Fleece after romping to victory in the Derby was swiftly packed off to stud, which is a great shame as the horse could have become one of the all time greats, incidently he died prematurely at stud after surviving an operation for cancer he died from a perforated bowel, he also had fertility problems which was probably due to his major op, racing was robbed of a potentially top class stallion as he was a son of that prolific sire nijinsky.<br>Sangster & Co’s spending power at the big American sales was severely curtailed when the Arabs arrived on the scene and started buying horses for the sheer fun of it, horses were going for fortunes as the two bid each other up, the American breeders were laughing all the way to the bank.<br>Sangster & Co realised they could’nt live with the sheer power of the arab oil fortunes, so they put together Classic Thoroughbreds a Ltd CO which was floated on the stock market to try and fight back against the arabs, it failed miserably, their only real flag bearer was Royal Academy. Sangster did still get the odd good horse Rodrigo de Triano springs to mind.

John Magniers success can mainly be put down to him standing a lot of top class horses at Coolmore, Sadlers Wells needs no introduction, also had caerleon, and his purchase of the ill fated Danehill was the stuff of dreams. They have Montjeu aswell who might yet be another Sadlers Wells.<br>I suppose his partnership with Tabor & Smith was the same as Sangster teaming up with Daniel Shwartz & Stavros Niarchos, just to add a lttle more financial clout. <br>I hope I was of some help, or maybe you knew all of what I wrote already Salselon.

(Edited by madman marz at 10:06 am on Feb. 16, 2007)<br>

(Edited by madman marz at 10:54 am on Feb. 16, 2007)

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

An interesting story Salselon.

It may or may not be of relevance but, if you haven’t already come across it, there is an excellent book on Sangster called Horse Trader which has plenty of detail about the Coolmore early days. As this obviously predates 90/91 it may not be relevant to your query here but is well worth a read.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Thanks for replies.

I have read (several times) the Horse Trader book, which is indeed a fascinating read.

However, it duly stops around 91/92, and my query is really regarding how Coolmore and Magnier developed into the power they are today, from where they stood in 91/92.

Many thanks,<br>Andrew

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from Salselon on 11:07 am on Feb. 16, 2007[br]Thanks for replies.

I have read (several times) the Horse Trader book, which is indeed a fascinating read.

The sheer power of the Coolmore stallions has to be the main reason why they are top of the pile today.<br>John Magnier has often been credited as having a shrewd business brain, but if Sadlers Wells had stood in America instead of Coolmore Magnier probably wouldn’t be where he is today. Sometimes you need a little luck.<br>Certainly the purchase of Danehill was a shrewd move, if he didn’t die Danehill could have even surpassed Sadlers Wells as the greatest stallion.<br>With Montjeu in tow the future is certainly rosie for Magnier & Co.<br>However, it duly stops around 91/92, and my query is really regarding how Coolmore and Magnier developed into the power they are today, from where they stood in 91/92.

Many thanks,<br>Andrew

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.