The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Consolation Bets

Home Forums General Sports Consolation Bets

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Picking up on something Graeme said on another thread about having a consolation bet on England winning the World Cup (again). I was wondering how common this was.

Personally, while I understand the appeal of a consolation bet and don’t think it’s right or wrong either way I just don’t believe I could bring myself to do it. For example, I would never back any football team to beat my team (although I’d be quid’s in this season :D) likewise I could never, even if it was more or less easy money, back Southampton to win anything ever.

So, ever had any bets on, that you do and you don’t want to win all at the same time or are you able to completely divorce your bets from the real world so to speak?

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

The team that I support are Plymouth argyle so I would also be quids in if I had bet against them as a consolation but it is something that I would never do. There are certain teams that I hate ( I think that Pompete can guess the name of one of them :) ) and I might bet on them to win or lay the opposing team not to win if it was not an important game but that’s all.

I would never bet on a team I disliked to win the league or a Cup competition as this would mean that I would be wanting them to be successful for quite a long period which would be against my instincts.

I remember there was somebody on this forum who bet on his team to be relegated as a consolation so each to their own I suppose.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I remember there was somebody on this forum who bet on his team to be relegated as a consolation so each to their own I suppose.

I think I heard somewhere that a former Brighton chairman often backed his side heavily to be relegated- that’s more like an insurance policy than a consolation bet, though.

Personally, I don’t do consolation bets in the sense talked about at the top of thread, a bit like emotional ‘trading out’ IMO.

As for the wider issue of certain types of bets one would never do, there is only one for me: betting on the Scotland football team to lose a match (which, I can assure you, had me more than a little torn with 11/8 Holland floating about last week). I even backed Hibs in an Edinburgh Derby once as I thought that 5/2 was a cracking price.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I never back or go against my team (Aberdeen). You are already too emotionally involved to make a sound betting judgement! I do understand people who back against there side though, its easier to lose cash on the basis your team has won if you do!

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

It’s not just a consolation. I picked 2 teams who i think have a live chance in Spain and England. I don’t have that much of a dislike for the English team, it would just mean decades of the media bringing it up in events not even associated with football.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.