The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Computer Lay Bets.

Home Forums Tipping and Research Systems Computer Lay Bets.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JAR
    • Total Posts 188

I have a computer program called Compunter that I purchased a few years back. It is an MSDOS program on a floppy disk so you can tell how long ago it is since I last used it. I had an idea to try it out for lay bets as it only requires minimal data input in its C mode.

If any one else out there has the same program, it is quite good for lay bets.
    Here’s how I use it.

I apply the "Compunter" program in C mode to any race that has a first favourite with SP forecast odds shorter than 2/1.

From the computer output I lay the shortest horse in the SP that the program lists as a "no bet" providing the horse has a track trainer percentage win rate less than 10%. Data the computer needs is available on the Racing Post and Sporting Life Internet pages.

I’ ve only run a few races through it so I am not sure how it will perform in the long term especially with respect to obtaining value for lay bets.

I bet 2% of a starting bank on each wager.

Also if the decimal odds value, of the horse the computer has picked as a no bet, is larger than the number of runners in the race I do not bet.

Does any one else have a way of using computer programs for lay bets?
    :)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Hello John .. long time no hear .. no I don’t try laying systems because unless your laying the favourite the prices you have to offer to get matched are a lot bigger than SP. Good luck with it any way.

JAR
    • Total Posts 188

Thanks Dave
    I must admit it is a problem getting a lay bet matched at value odds.
    My estimates of value always seem to be unmatchable on the exchanges.

I do not often post because basically I do not have much knowledge that has not already been posted somewhere in the forum. I am no expert, just an ordinary bloke who likes horse racing and using computers. I do frequently read forum articles though. :)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I think we are all ordinary blokes who like horse racing on here John, nicely put by yourself.

I think the distorted SP’s that are returned at the moment could lead you to believe that you could make a profit by laying, unfortunately I haven’t found it to be the case.

For what it’s worth I reckon you are better off laying more than one horse in any race, that way you aren’t fully exposed if your selection wins. Another angle might be to look at the other runners and see if any of them stick out as a value bet if you think that one of them won’t win ??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.