The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Home Forums Horse Racing Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 641 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 89

backbarn is correct – "facings" are a smaller version of "braid" in that they do not go right across the whole chest. If you look in the B&H Racing Colours book, ex trainer Ken Cundell (K.S) has black facings in his colours drawn as such.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Ile de Bourbon – spent ages as a kid in 1978 working out ratings for the King George VI & QE II Stakes. Came up with "I de B " as a selection at a good price and won a few pounds – now what was that system ???

thanks for what you’ve helped with ; here’s a few back that I found somehow/somewhere :-

Nimbus – Cerise & White hoops Blue slvs wWite cap (Copes 1949 Racegoers Encyclopedia)

Nebbiolo – White Red crossbelts and cap ( still got the 2000 guineas field cut out of the paper – anorak !! )

Nonoalco – Pink Grey epaulettes not sure of cap , think pink

Niksar – Red White striped slvs hooped cap

Sweet Solera – Light Blue Claret sash qtd cap

Son Of Love – Mauve Orange V slvs & cap (extract of 1979 derby runners & colours on inside cover of Peter O’Sullivans Horse Racing Heroes – info everywhere )

re James Cox Brady – on the DVD Year of Sir Ivor theres a clip of horses coming out for the 1000 Guineas and Lester is riding something in White Red hoop Black slvs Red cap – reckon that’s it . Will look again because there’s obviously footage of Vaguely Noble’s arc – colours predominantly orange but will try and clarify that for you.

cheers , appreciate the help and time taken

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I backed Fulke Johnson Houghton’s Ile de Bourbon ( son of Nijinsky ), to beat Three Troikas and Troy in the 1979 Arc; more out of sentiment than any clear logic. I was a big fan of the horse back then.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

just checked the Sir Ivor dvd – Cox Brady’s horse was Piggott’s ride in the ’68 Oaks not the 1000 Guineas as I said.

Vaguely Noble’s colours were a very pale orange – P O’S described them as "gold" in commentary. cap looked to have some pale green but I think that’s just a blurring of the old footage.

hope that helps a bit anyway
    cheers

• Total Posts 89

Hi Isinglass

many thanks for your info – will get back to you once I have had time to go through my "stuff" re your missing colours – agree with you re. Isle de B – marvellous horse 2 group 1s and 2 group 2s in only 10 starts – brilliant trainer too – FJH also had Rose Bowl around that time – terrific filly – and of course won several classics for the Engelhards.

regards

• Total Posts 89

Two more

Ruffs guide 1948 shows:

Ley On (owner of Ki Ming 1000 guineas 1951) as Sky blue, red sleeves, blue cap, white star…. and

Martin H Benson / Windsor Lad – as Cerise , dark blue qtd cap

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

that’s great , thanks for those two.

I owe you again so some time please let me know if I can be of any help with your "gaps"

cheers again

• Total Posts 89

no problem – I am not sure how many of your initial list have been ticked off either – can you update?

my gaps are:

2000 / 1966 / Kashmir / P.Butler
    2000 / 1961 / Rockavon / Tommy Yuill
    2000 / 1955 / Ou Babu / Sir David Robinson (dont think this is the infamous David Robinson owner of 60s & 70s)

1000 / 1975 / Nocturnal Spree / Mrs D O’Kelly
    1000 / 1953 / Happy Laughter / David Will

OAKS / 1968 / La Lagune / H Berlin
    OAKS / 1947 / Impudence / Mme P Corbiere

ST L / 1948 / Black Tarquin / W Woodward
    ST L / 1957 / Ballymoss / J McShain (this must be easy ‘cos he owned Gladness etc but can only see black and white vids)

ARC / 1968 / Vaguely Noble / Wilma Franklyn
    ARC / 1964 / Prince Royal / Rex C Ellsworth

GNAT / 1958 / Mr What / D J Coughlan
    GNAT / 1955 / Qaure Times / Mrs W Welman#
    GNAT / 1947 / Caughoo / John McDowell

any help would be gratefully appreciated!!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Ballymoss: White with red seams etc.
    Black Tarquin: Black & white spots.

• Total Posts 89

Thanks Crepello, very helpful – I think McShain’s colours included armlets as well as striped slvs – do you know if they were red as well (or maybe black) with a red hat (I think there was a red "B" on the body as well – presumably for Ballymoss)

Couple of others I am struggling with over jumps:

Gold Cup

1957 Roddy Owen – owned by Earl of Fingall

1972 Gelncaraig Lady / Patrick Doyle (predominantly red but vids aren’t clear enough for the detail)

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Re David Robinson & Our Babu. It is the same one who had My Swallow & others. So the same colours would apply.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hello , here are some I can give you back – can’t quote all sources but was as happy with them as I could be :-

2000 / 1961 / Rockavon royal blue black slvs with white birds eye white cap

2000 / 1955 / Our Babu agree with Crepello green ; red ; pale blue

1000 / 1953 / Happy Laughter blue white crossbelts and slvs white cap blue spots

OAKS / 1968 / La Lagune red and white diamonds striped slvs red cap

ST L / 1948 / Black Tarquin white red spots black cap

ST L / 1957 / Ballymoss white black B and armlets red & white strpd slvs red cap

ARC / 1968 / Vaguely Noble gold ? Pale orange ?

GNAT / 1955 / Quare Times involves red white & blue ; horizontal halves on body not sure which mixture though

will have a search and see what I can find elsewhere

regards to all out there

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Prince Royal red black triangle qtd cap Benson & Hedges Book of Colours matches up with red & black mentioned in a Sports Illustrated article if you google Rex Ellsworth racing also then look at images and you can see the qtd cap

another drink for the inventor of the internet

cheers

• Total Posts 89

Thanks for all your help – really whittled down my gaps!

I haven’t found anymore, butdiscovered that Henry Aubert who owned Puissant Chef(Arc winner) also owned Le Bavard, great stayer of mid 70’s – winer of the Prix Cadran and more importantly 2nd to Sagaro in the Gold Cup in ’75 – has anybody a racecard of that or any other race that Le bavard may have run in?

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

no problem – I am not sure how many of your initial list have been ticked off either – can you update?

my gaps are:

2000 / 1966 / Kashmir / P.Butler
    2000 / 1961 / Rockavon / Tommy Yuill
    2000 / 1955 / Ou Babu / Sir David Robinson (dont think this is the infamous David Robinson owner of 60s & 70s)

1000 / 1975 / Nocturnal Spree / Mrs D O’Kelly
    1000 / 1953 / Happy Laughter / David Will

OAKS / 1968 / La Lagune / H Berlin
    OAKS / 1947 / Impudence / Mme P Corbiere

ST L / 1948 / Black Tarquin / W Woodward
    ST L / 1957 / Ballymoss / J McShain (this must be easy ‘cos he owned Gladness etc but can only see black and white vids)

ARC / 1968 / Vaguely Noble / Wilma Franklyn
    ARC / 1964 / Prince Royal / Rex C Ellsworth

GNAT / 1958 / Mr What / D J Coughlan
    GNAT / 1955 / Qaure Times / Mrs W Welman#
    GNAT / 1947 / Caughoo / John McDowell

any help would be gratefully appreciated!!!

Try contacting Tom Taaffe, Kicking King’s trainer as his father rode Quare Times – Pat of Arkle and Prince Regent fame, and his grandfather trained Mr What.

• Total Posts 89

Many thanks – have contacted Tom Taaffe and will post any reply I receive. In the meantime, cotacted horse racing ireland re NOCTURNAL SPREE – their reply is

"The Nearest match that we have is

WHITE, maroon striped sleeves, maroon & yellow striped cap

which belonged to Mr. Denise D O’Kelly. This set was registered on 7/3/1974.

In relation to the Nocturnal Spree, it run in Irish 1000 guineas bit did not win it but it won 1000 guineas in the UK."

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

thanks for that info.

on the British Pathe news site coverage of Quare Times & Mr What’s national ( B&W footage of course)

Quare Times – hopefully you’ll find that the body is horizontally split in 3 , not halved as I said before , must have been careless there , in red white and blue but don’t know which order other than white’s in the middle. slvs and cap are solid colours but red, blue , don’t know – YET !

Mr What – dark body light hoops on slvs light cap with the dark hoop black&white ?

hasn’t helped I know but at least you can go and watch the race .

regards

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 641 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.