The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Classic Champion Hurdle 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Classic Champion Hurdle 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 500 total)
  • Author
    Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

Jered is certainly the hardest horse to judge in the race for a punter. I would imagine though Tony McCoy certainly has made it clear which he thinks is the better.

Studying his form and his run behind Hary Eustace Jered’s limitations may have been exposed. They say the heavy ground was against him but he had beat Cork All Star on Soft-Heavy beforehand. Sizing Europe ran a great race that day until blowing up and still beat Jered which makes me worry about how good Meade’s horse really is.

Of course you will never find the answer to any horse in one race so he is still a horse that could cause a shock. Big word that: could :wink:

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

I would imagine the years will be taking their toll somewhat

and this is no ordinary Champion Hurdle

, but he is no ordinary horse for that matter.

We don’t know that yet, do we ? It could turn out to be very ordinary, and that’s the beauty of it.

Don’t go running away with the idea that Binocular just has to turn up – the 5yo stat is still a powerful one. Remember Detroit City ?….absolutely nailed on, he was, to the extent that one of the venerable

RP

tipsters was recommending the 10/1 on offer for DC to become a three-time champ!

• Total Posts 1402

I’ve just read the whole of this thread as I was interested to see whether SENTRY DUTY was given much of a mention. He really looks to me to be highly progressive and possesses the high cruising speed and fluent jumping style typical of CH winners. I think he’s a massive price at 33/1.

I’ve always been a SUBLIMITY fan and I just hope he’s had a decent preparation as I thought he ran a blinder last year considering he wasn’t right and barely jumped a hurdle in the race.

I cannot for the life of me see KATCHIT finishing in the first five this year and his form this season shows IMHO what a moderate winner he was last year.

BINOCULAR is clearly a class horse but I’d rather take a much bigger price about SENTRY DUTY finishing in the first three than BINOCULAR to win.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Will Sentry Duty actually run? I backed him ages ago at 33/1 and his price hasn’t changed since then..is Nicky Henderson waiting to see what the going will be like given that the horse doesn’t like it soft.

• Total Posts 1402

Will Sentry Duty actually run? I backed him ages ago at 33/1 and his price hasn’t changed since then..is Nicky Henderson waiting to see what the going will be like given that the horse doesn’t like it soft.

I assume they think he is well enough and good enough to be left in at the last entry stage. The great thing about NRNB is that you can back him at that price now and get your money back if he doesn’t run.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Don’t go running away with the idea that Binocular just has to turn up – the 5yo stat is still a powerful one. Remember Detroit City ?….absolutely nailed on, he was, to the extent that one of the venerable

RP

tipsters was recommending the 10/1 on offer for DC to become a three-time champ!

Two very different horses; one (DC) a stayer on the flat, and the other a 10f horse. They simply went too fast for Detroit City, that is highly unlikely to be the case for Binocular.

• Total Posts 2440

I watched the Supreme Novices race last night on DVD from last years’ festival. It was a very slow run race in comparison to other 2-mile hurdle events at the festival.

The slower pace didn’t suit Binocular, and he was then beaten up the hill by Captain Cee Bee, who was 2 or 3 years older too if i remember correctly.

Looking at Binocular from that race, and comparing him to the horse he is now, he has grown, and seems to have matured well over the past year.

A fast paced race will play into his hands, and i think the Champion Hurdle will be run at a very fast pace with the horses that are in there this year.

• Total Posts 638

It certainly wasn’t slow overall Gaz’…it was a quicker time than the Champion Hurdle but had a very different pace profile.
    Osana made sure it was a quick-quick-slow profile for the CH whereas the Supreme was slow-quick-quicker with an overall faster time. Both races were run on genuinely soft ground though, so I wouldnt worry about Binocular coming up the hill..just a case of if he is best.

• Total Posts 2440

It certainly wasn’t slow overall Gaz’…it was a quicker time than the Champion Hurdle but had a very different pace profile.
    Osana made sure it was a quick-quick-slow profile for the CH whereas the Supreme was slow-quick-quicker with an overall faster time. Both races were run on genuinely soft ground though, so I wouldnt worry about Binocular coming up the hill..just a case of if he is best.

I think it was slow, but also the Champion Hurdle of last year was slow too in comparison to previous years.

On the dvd last night, it did show how slow it was in comparison to previous years’ Supreme Novices, and it was a lot slower.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

it was very slow – about 4 secs if i remember….but that was due to the clerk claiming it was good-to-soft when it was really a fair bit softer than that.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Whiteoak goes for the Champion

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

You’ve made my day!!!! hurrah!!

• Total Posts 1982

To be honest, i think there are so many horses in this race that you could give ‘EW claims’ to.

Celestial Halo
    Punjabi
    Osana
    Katchit
    Sublimity
    Snap Tie
    etc…

Fascinating race, and one i am looking forward to.

Along with the Arkle, the main reason why I’ve decided to attend on the Tuesday.

You can add…

Ashkazar
    Jered
    Whiteoak
    Brave Inca
    Harchibald
    Sentry Duty
    Muirhead
    Won In The Dark

…to the list.

Binocular is the one to beat and I hope he turns out to the true champion many expect him to be, but I believe the question mark surrounding his ability to get up the hill is a valid one.

With the exception of his victory over Pierrot Lunaire at Kempton, this horse has looked nigh on unbeatable. In the Supreme Novices’ he travelled like the best horse in the race and still looked the most likely winner jumping the last, only to the find the hill his Achilles Heel.

He looked anything but unbeatable and, in my opinion, it wasn’t a great renewal.

This race is going to be run at a blistering pace and I think he’ll be cruising turning in, but how he’ll respond after the last with the cream of the crop, horses that have been there and done it, breathing down his neck is anyones guess.

I still fancy Sublimity – another who many believe doesn’t truly stay the trip at Cheltenham. He’s been there and got the job done and I think his effort last year was tremendous given his well documented, horrendous preperation.

Jered is another who has the talent to be thereabouts. One of the best two-mile novices from last season and somewhat the forgotten horse of the race.

Looking at the plethora of ew candidates in the race, quite a few bubbles will be burst and no doubt we’ll see quite a few over fences next season as a result.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

I’ve just read the whole of this thread as I was interested to see whether SENTRY DUTY was given much of a mention. He really looks to me to be highly progressive and possesses the high cruising speed and fluent jumping style typical of CH winners. I think he’s a massive price at 33/1.

I’ve always been a SUBLIMITY fan and I just hope he’s had a decent preparation as I thought he ran a blinder last year considering he wasn’t right and barely jumped a hurdle in the race.

I cannot for the life of me see KATCHIT finishing in the first five this year and his form this season shows IMHO what a moderate winner he was last year.

BINOCULAR is clearly a class horse but I’d rather take a much bigger price about SENTRY DUTY finishing in the first three than BINOCULAR to win.

Katchit a moderate winner? Sure he was.

Is this some kind of joke :(

I thought he won the Triumph out the park. Then hacked up in the John Smith’s at Aintree and became the first 5 year old to win the CH for years.
    Three time he has beaten Punjabi who defeated Sublimity fair and he square and he himslef left Sublimty in his wake in last season race.

Katchit’s form this season has no reflection at all on what he has done in the past. He has been trained for this as he was last season.

Katchit on form is in a different league to Sublimity as he showed last year and Binocular is a league above him. IMO Sublimity is one of the poorest CH I have ever seen.

Sentry Duty is a decent handicapper who in an ordinary year would have a remote chance of a place but against this lot?

You can’t be serious. The horse he has beaten into second have both let the form down badly for a start and the difference between travelling well in a handicap and traveling well in the Ch is like a mini trying to keep tabs on a Ferrari. Another also ran IMO

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Do I sense a disguise slipping!?

Colin

• Total Posts 1402

Do I sense a disguise slipping!?

Colin

I think so!

Normal entertainment service has been resumed :wink:

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Spelling, punctuation and grammar are all too good for this to be Fists.

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 500 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.