The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Citizen Vic

Home Forums Memorials Citizen Vic

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    mort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Just read this on the Racing post live blog:-

Citizen Vic
    Ruby Walsh returned relatively unscathed from his fall aboard Citizen Vic in the RSA Chase. Unfortunately, the horse took a fatal fall

Really tragedy – he was still going well and didn’t appear to touch the fence, just crumple on landing. Oh so sad.

• Total Posts 1511

I am nearly at tears.

Horse rewarded me so many times and i thought he was going to win
    :cry: :cry: :cry:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

He may have had a seizure. He was gone by the time he hit the floor. R.I.P. Citizen Vic.

• Total Posts 2440

Unfortunately, you could tell when the horse was on the floor.

Was running such a good race too.

RIP Citizen Vic.

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

i WAS ALMOST CERTAIN HE’D GONE BEFORE HE HIT THE GROUND. THE WAY HIS LEGS WERE TWITCHING I’M SURE IT WAS QUICK.

RIP CITIZEN VIC.

mort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

I was pretty sure too. I actually thought he’d broken his neck. Having held a couple of my old horses when they were PTS (by injection) their legs kept moving in the same way even after they’d had the fatal dose of phenyl barbitone.
    The worst thing for me is the way the media almost ignore it – they so often only ever report on the jockeys welfare and it can be so difficult to find out what happened. I don’t think they realise how much people do care.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2264

didn’t watch the race, but soo sad to hear this, my thoughts are with his connections and fans

vf

• Total Posts 433

just as i said to my daughter, he is going well he fell, looked bad,desperately sad.

SharkEnergy
    • Total Posts 38

I was pretty sure too. I actually thought he’d broken his neck. Having held a couple of my old horses when they were PTS (by injection) their legs kept moving in the same way even after they’d had the fatal dose of phenyl barbitone.
    The worst thing for me is the way the media almost ignore it – they so often only ever report on the jockeys welfare and it can be so difficult to find out what happened. I don’t think they realise how much people do care.

To be fair to Channel 4 and all, they are much better now than they used to be, and you do generally do get the news back. So enthusiastic to let everyone know that they announced the wrong horse had died yesterday and got lambasted for that. Damned if you do.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

Liked the look of him in the parade ring. Feared the worst and sorry it`s been confirmed.

doyle33
    • Total Posts 1

Im not sure if i missed it but why did the comentators only report how ruby walsh was and not the well being of or the death of Citizen Vic is this a subject that is avoided these days because of some peoples reaction. It was pretty odviouse that it was fatel so why was it not mentioned. These racing horses need recognition R.I.P Citizen Vic. :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

It was mentioned. You did miss it. Presumably they told us as soon s it was confirmed and there was an appropriate break in the commentary.

• Total Posts 21

It was mentioned. You did miss it. Presumably they told us as soon s it was confirmed and there was an appropriate break in the commentary.

I watched the whole sad episode and indeed I only heard that Ruby was up and OK – I dont recall hearing anything said about the horse. There was so much joy over Weapons Amnesty winning that the fact a horse had taken a fatal fall during the race didnt matter at all. When a horse falls I look for them to be getting up, not the jockey – humans dont get shot for breaking a leg. It was obvious this poor animal died as he hit the ground and nothing could have been done for him.
    I said yesterday I doubted that Casey Jones would be the only horse to die at Cheltenham this week, I am so so sorry I was right.
    RIP Citizen Vic.

Pendle_Gazza
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

When a horse falls I look for them to be getting up, not the jockey – humans dont get shot for breaking a leg. It was obvious this poor animal died as he hit the ground and nothing could have been done for him.

I’m the same and look out only for the horses, but even many commentators mid-race only mention the jockey, and as you say it’s not generally them who pay the ultimate price.

Lovejoi
    • Total Posts 1

That looked a shockingly bad fall yesterday, as bad as i’ve seen in a while.

I say it to all my friends and I’ll say it here. I love horse racing but I hate it when a horse falls like that. I really couldn’t care about the jockey. Just seems to me that the jockey is a more willing participant, if a jockey died I cant say i would feel as bad for him as the horse. RIP Citizen Vic.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

I watched the whole sad episode and indeed I only heard that Ruby was up and OK – I dont recall hearing anything said about the horse. There was so much joy over Weapons Amnesty winning that the fact a horse had taken a fatal fall during the race didnt matter at all. When a horse falls I look for them to be getting up, not the jockey – humans dont get shot for breaking a leg. It was obvious this poor animal died as he hit the ground and nothing could have been done for him.
    I said yesterday I doubted that Casey Jones would be the only horse to die at Cheltenham this week, I am so so sorry I was right.
    RIP Citizen Vic.

Yes but they can’t make assumptions about the horse until it’s confirmed. It’s easy to say it was obvious he was dead s soon as he hit the ground but it would be irresponsible of the commentator to declare that, and unnecessary since we can see it for ourselves.
    Of course there was a lot of excitement over WA winning, that was the point of the race, that’s the joy and the happiness we’re all fans of racing for. This is basically TV entertainment and whether we like it or not, fatalities are sadly part of the game as much as winning is. They don’t brush them under the carpet, they’re mentioned with dignity and due respect. Everyone here hates to see horses die, but if it really meant that much to us, we’d find another sport to follow.
    Are you really saying you’d rather Ruby Walsh was killed than Kauto Star for example? You need to get things in perspective.

mort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

To prefer to see a jockey killed rather than a horse is taking it too far, IMO. However, as a horse owner/rider, I would rather break my leg than one of my horses break theirs.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.