The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Chepstow selling chase

Home Forums Horse Racing Chepstow selling chase

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I bloody love selling chases, me, and what a shame there’s so few left in the calendar compared to 25 or so years ago.

Well done to Mike Hammond for saddling Elgar to overhaul the combined might of two Pritchards and some other has-beens and never-weres, and to give him his first winner under Rules as a trainer (after two tries with the same gelding in hunter chases last season) in this afternoon’s example of the genre at Chepstow.

NOT well done to the presenter of one of the betting shop radio stations who saluted the win as "another success for Micky Hammond". Do your homework!!

The main note of interest stemming from the race is that Cleymour House (the 40l last of six finishers) was claimed for £6,000 after the race. This would read as good money after bad ordinarily, as he’s rated just 54 over fences and with good reason (0-23 under Rules and yet to finish within 12 1/2l of the winner)…. except that he’s been snapped up by Alison Thorpe.

Given her exceptional form with other people’s rubbish so far this season, I’m inclined to think it’ll be worth stacking on at likely still-attractive odds in a low-grade chase next time perhaps.

You read it here first! (Unless the yoke fails abysmally again next time, in which case you didn’t read it at all. Anywhere. :biggrin: )

Jeremy<br>(graysoncolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

On the subject of Mike v Micky Hammond, I’m getting heartily fed up with Kahlil Burke being called Karl, including in an article about him in the Post last week!!<br>

(Edited by rory at 8:25 pm on Nov. 1, 2006)

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5141

Dear old Robert Cooper on ATR insisted M was M D Hammond too

"all the way down from Yorkshire, perhaps a gamble was landed" or summat like that.

Enigmatic

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Seem to remember someone last season insisting that Oxfordshire permit-holder J G O’Neill and Jonjo O’Neill were one and the same, despite each having runners in the same race and clearly being rendered differently in the racecard, RP form, etc.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

In fairness to Sir Bob he did own up to his gaffe when interviewing the winning trainer after the race.

Colin

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5141

Quote: from seabird on 7:47 am on Nov. 2, 2006[br]In fairness to Sir Bob he did own up to his gaffe when interviewing the winning trainer after the race.

Colin

Didn’t see the interview. Good for him, the genial gent as usual.

In truth, I had no idea who Mike Hammond was either until Graysons enlightened us, other than not being slick Mick.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Drone on 8:38 am on Nov. 2, 2006[br]

Quote: from seabird on 7:47 am on Nov. 2, 2006[br]In fairness to Sir Bob he did own up to his gaffe when interviewing the winning trainer after the race.

Colin

Didn’t see the interview. Good for him, the genial gent as usual.<br>

<br>That he certainly is. Did anyone else see him diffuse the situation when a drunken woman invaded his pitch at Uttoxeter last week, without having to holler for security, etc.?

gc<br>

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2937

Quote: from graysonscolumn on 7:19 pm on Nov. 1, 2006[br]

The main note of interest stemming from the race is that Cleymour House (the 40l last of six finishers) was claimed for £6,000 after the race. This would read as good money after bad ordinarily, as he’s rated just 54 over fences and with good reason (0-23 under Rules and yet to finish within 12 1/2l of the winner)…. except that he’s been snapped up by Alison Thorpe.

Do you think she may have claimed the wrong horse? Bet they over the moon to get 6 grand for that.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from yeats on 12:57 pm on Nov. 2, 2006[br]

Quote: from graysonscolumn on 7:19 pm on Nov. 1, 2006[br]

Do you think she may have claimed the wrong horse? Bet they over the moon to get 6 grand for that.

<br>I’m sure someone probably thought the same thing when she claimed Il Penseroso. And Rushneeyriver.

gc<br>

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

Quote: from graysonscolumn on 10:00 am on Nov. 2, 2006[br]

Quote: from Drone on 8:38 am on Nov. 2, 2006[br]

Colin

Didn’t see the interview. Good for him, the genial gent as usual.<br>

<br>That he certainly is. Did anyone else see him diffuse the situation when a drunken woman invaded his pitch at Uttoxeter last week, without having to holler for security, etc.?

gc

Yes I saw that! hehe! He handled it well as ever. I liked the part where the woman said something along the lines of "That man’s telling me to p**s
    off" *Cut to studio…….*

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.