The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham, Wednesday.

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Cheltenham, Wednesday.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dandan
    • Total Posts 199

2.00 Cheltenham- The Ballymore Properties Hurdle

MY TURN NOW each-way (9/1 Betfair)<br>Lay ARAN CONCERTO

A strong looking renewal with My Turn Now, Catch Me, Silverburn and Scotsirish all looking to hold good chances. I’m particularly keen on My Turn Now, who was staying on best of all in the Tolworth Hurdle before he fell at the last. A victory last time out confirmed his well being and even at todays price of 9/1 he still looks like value. The 20/1 we took a couple of weeks back looks good now and he is one of my bets of the meeting. I think we could be in for a bit of an ante post touch if he runs up to his best.

I don’t lay anything above 2/1 but if the favourite is supported into around 2/1 at the off, I’ll be laying him. He looks like a big, scopey chaser to me and Zaffaran’s progeny have a poor record over hurdles at the festival. I think the danger to Charlie Mann’s horse is Silverburn, who is bound to be primed to the minute by Paul Nicholls.

2.35- The Royal and Sun Alliance Chase

Lay DENMAN @2.48<br>1pt win CALAIN ALAINN (8/1+ Betfair)

I can’t have Denman at all, as I don’t really rate his form. He did beat Don’t Push It, who was sent off around 4/1 in the Arkle yesterday, but that was only by 3/4 of a length and its debatable how good that rival is. His victories over fences have come in small fields and it is anybodys guess how his jumping will hold up in a 17 runner affair around Cheltenham. I’m happy to lay him at a short price.

Calain Alainn was in the process of running a very good race against Exotic Dancer and Our Vic last time out, and if her confidence is unaffected by that, she is bound to go close here. I’ll have a small interest in her at 8/1+.

3.15- The Champion Chase

WELL CHIEF to win (6/5 Betfair)

I think Well Chief is the best horse in the race by some way. Still only an 8yo, he has come back from a long injury and hinted that all the old ability remains when winning last time out. It has to be said the form doesn’t look solid, but he could do no more than win as he did. Newmill and Voy Por Ustedes are the chief dangers (no pun intended!) but David Pipe has been careful to give his charge plenty of time to recover from his injury and with the stable in such good form, I’d expect he is primed to turn in a career best today. No horse in this field can hold a torch to his form behind the great Moscow Flyer two years ago.

4.00- The Coral Cup

FINGER ON THE PULSE each-way (33/1 Betfair)

Barry Geraghty won this for us last year on Sky’s The Limit, our bet of the meeting, and history can repeat itself today with Geraghty taking the ride on a similarly progressive sort, Tom Taafe’s Finger On The Pulse. The son of Accordion totally bombed out last time at Kempton, but he failed to settle that day and I think that run is best ignored. Scratch that off and you’re left with a highly progressive hurdler, who will be suited by the trip and ground and looks overpriced at 33/1. Not a race for huge stakes.

4.40- The Kim Muir

YARDBIRD each-way (25/1 Betfair)

Stable are in good form and I’ve always thought Yardbird would be suited to the demands of this race. I think he’ll come up the hill strongly if his jumping holds up, but he rates a token choice in a minefield of a race.

5.20- The Champion Bumper

ONE GULP each-way (25/1 Betfair), WHATUTHINK each-way (37/1 Betfair)

The usual array of classy sorts here and although splitting them on form is an impossible task, I fancy two at biggish prices against the field.

One Gulp represents Paul Webber, who has saddled the runner up in this race for the past two years. She looked very good when beating Castlecrossings on her debut, and she gets all the allowances (carries just 10-4) and has Andrew Tinkler on board.

Whatuthink represents an unfashionable stable but the son of Presenting was impressive in beating Oscar Supreme by 19l in January at Naas. Nina Carberry rode the third that day, and I know she was very impressed with the horse and rates it very highly- her mount Dattledonuggy was well fancied that day but was slammed 20l by the winner who looks sure to enjoy the stiff Cheltenham finish. Curiously, last years Champion Bumper winner Hairy Molly won the same Naas bumper en route to the festival.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Good write up again dandan.

My turn now is popular in the opener – lots of good judges seem to fancy this one. I like Silverburn .An outsider with a chance is Raslan & I may have a small e/way on him.

I agree Denman is a lay which is what I’ve done. Don’t have any strong fancies regarding who will win.

I won’t back Well Chief to win the 3:15 but I’ll be cheering for him – great to see this horse back on the racecourse.

The Coral Cup is always a difficult race imo. Probably have a few quid on All Star and Nation State.

No strong fancies for the last 2 races – I’ll just sit back and watch and hope for some more great finishes like we had in the W.Hill yesterday.

Good luck.

<br>

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.