The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham Handicaps – Weights/Ratings/Penalties

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Cheltenham Handicaps – Weights/Ratings/Penalties

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

I have a query about when horses are assessed for the Cheltenham handicaps.

Venetia Williams had a nice winner at Carlisle today who is a live outsider in the Coral Cup betting. He won off 130 today but is bound to go up. As far as I am aware the entries for that race will close tomorrow? Is it safe to assume therefore that the horse in question (Tenor Nivernais) will be allotted his current mark of 130 (as opposed to the revised mark he will get next Tuesday 6th March).

I am presuming he will not be penalised as according to last years race conditions only wins after the 27th Feb were penalised.

Thanks in advance.

ivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Anyone????

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1222

I hope he doesn’t as I have backed him!

ivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

I thought I would bring this thread back as I notice that Tenor Nivernais was raised 10lbs folowing his Carlisle win, and races off that new mark (140) in the Coral Cup.

I presume I am missing something obvious here, but if the trainer was aware the horse would be reassessed by the time the Coral Cup weights were published, why not skip the Carlisle race and preserve the 10lb lower handicap mark? Or did she think she needed the higher mark to ensure the horse got into the Coral Cup?

JimF
    Participant
    • Total Posts 111

The following quote from the BHA Handicapper’s blog might be of interest to you:

"The weights for all the Cheltenham handicaps were revealed last Wednesday in the traditional press conference held at Prestbury Park, writes Martin Greenwood.

Part of the process involved telling members of the audience the likely cut-off point for their runners (i.e. what rating will likely give your horse a run). I also pointed out that if you were able to win between times you would incur a 5lb penalty, which would help the horses slightly lower down the handicap, and that scenario played out at Newbury on Friday.

Poole Master, trained by David Pipe, was rated 130 prior to the race, which in normal years would just about get you into both the Coral Cup and the Pertemps, which he is entered in. Poole Master is also entered in the Martin Pipe Handicap for conditionals on the Friday of the Festival. This particular race always attracts a mammoth entry, and the weights on the day are usually very compressed, usually only around 12lb separates top weight from bottom, meaning you would normally need to be rated in the high 120s to get in. This year the race has moved from a 0-140 to a 0-145, meaning the likelihood is that you would have to be rated around 133 to get in which of course would have put Poole Master’s participation in the race David would clearly love to win for the first time in serious jeopardy.

Luckily, Poole Master will be able to race off 135, thus enabling him to run in any of the handicaps at Cheltenham, after he scooted up in a novice at Newbury. Top rated on BHA figures after winning his last two novices, Poole Master was pretty impressive in accounting for Nicky Henderson’s promising Let’s Get Serious (who was receiving 4lb) by five lengths, the winning distance not doing justice to his superiority. With the rest of the field well strung out this looked a decent renewal of the race, and Poole Master is now rated 144, meaning he will be 9lb ‘well in’ at The Festival."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.