The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP 2011

Home Forums Archive Topics CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 374 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Somersby? He wouldn’t get the trip in a horse box he’s way too fast at 2 miles and he’s no Kauto Star.

The only danger to Kauto Star is himself and of course age catching up with him.

Ruby Walsh can’t wait until next season, he’s sidelined but having fun….he says he’s watching videos of AP MCoy and trying to learn how to present horses better at their fences :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Main danger is himself? The irish are raiding with a not so secret weapon as someone who has already mentioned!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

I’ve just heard that Weapons Amnesty is out for next year. That’s a real shame, as he looked a terrific prospect. Do they ever come back?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

What a blow!

Weapons Amnesty

had Gold Cup written all over him,everything was going for him,he was in my opinion the biggest threat to

Imperial Commander

regaining his crown!

Somersby

at 20/1 would be my Ante-Post selection now!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Now that the Weapon is out, perhaps Pandorama can fill his boots. He’ll need cut though, which is not that likely in March at the Cheltenham :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

Just watched WA’s win again; jumped the last like a deer and scampered up the hill, still looked full of energy. Why is it always the good ones?

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

A horse no-one seems to have mentioned, but who I like the look of – Kempes.

I thought he ran pretty well at Punchestown, considering that he’d not done the distance before…and there was something about him that told me he’d prefer it going left-handed.

He’s a pretty big price right now, but does anyone else have any thoughts?

I also like the look of What A Friend, and I’m sure I’ll have a bet on Kauto, just for Old Time’s Sake

Any thoughts?

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Gutted, had Weapons Amnesty already, and I was going to fill my boots with the boy!

Somersby it is, think TAPK is correct!

• Total Posts 403

IC is surely more likely to win the race as a 10yo than KS was because he is so much more lightly raced.

Stacelita
    • Total Posts 202

KS is a freak write him off at your peril hes got another year yet. A bad mistake cost him and yet he still wasn’t out of it when he fell. IC made a similar mistake in the KG and that was it for him he finished 5th.
    Denman hasn’t been the same horse albiet had an operation since he beat KS in the Gold cup whereas KS has thrived should show you something this horse is an all time legend versatile in terms of distance and ground and super game and consistent.
    20 years from now KS will be remembered as a true legend (best ever?) hopefully with 5 KGs and 3 Gold Cups. 8)

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Heart says Kauto, Head says something else (probably What A Friend), wallet says Kempes.

Will have backed ’em all by the day!

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Somersby……….Gold Cup? yer pulling my chain!

Somersby looks a possible Grand National winner to me but he’ll never ever win a Gold Cup or even come close to it IMO

Much depends on how Kauto is when he comes back in from his summer break……if near his best he’d still be the horse to beat and Imperial Commander would have to be a huge danger again.

For anything else to be seriously consider they would have to hope Kauto is finished and Imperial Commander doesn’t turn up fit and well……….there’s a huge massive gigantic gap between these two horses, Denman and the rest……..Can just see Somerby turning up at Kempton and taking on a fit Kauto Star :roll: …one paced thing wouldn’t get within 20 lengths of him

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Somersby

will kick off with the Peterborough Chase,then its off to Kempton to see just how much improvement the 3 miles brings out of him! I"m not going to tempt fate with my usual Bullish remarks,that are so often bang on the mark as i really rate this horse! I will go as far to say i rate him on a par with my favourite Chaser

Albertas Run

!!! :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 443

I wonder what odds you’d get on Henderson winning it next year?

I backed Burton Port ew for the RSA and I’m tempted to follow up antepost for the Gold Cup. I can’t have Kauto at 5/1 either. Theres just too much competition and he’s getting on. We won’t know for sure until Haydock/Down Royal. It will be his first since the fall too.

I’d take shorter than 4/1 on Henderson winning it if his three were guaranteed a run

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Somersby

will kick off with the Peterborough Chase,then its off to Kempton to see just how much improvement the 3 miles brings out of him! I"m not going to tempt fate with my usual Bullish remarks,that are so often bang on the mark as i really rate this horse! I will go as far to say i rate him on a par with my favourite Chaser

Albertas Run

!!! :wink:

The novice I see as a potential Gold Cup horse is Somersby’s Aintree conquerer Mad Max. Nicky has always said he is the one horse in his yard who he feels could win a Gold Cup and he was talking right over the heads of Long Run and Punchestowns when he said it.

He ran a cracker when beaten in the Arkle but when presented with an extra 4 furlong he made a complete nonsense of Somersby and co at Aintree.

Mad Max still looked like a big baby last season especially at Doncaster. He looked like his front legs were going shopping and his back legs were coming back with the change that day. He simply isn’t a 2 mile horse.

I would expect his big frame to be fully filled with another year on his back and he could easily become the yards number 1 Gold Cup hope.

For a horse who has had 2 cracks at distances beyond 2 miles and failed both times Somersby is remarkably short in the Gold Cup betting and I rather take the much longer odds on Mad Max and perhaps Mikael D’haguenet if I knew what stage the horse was at.

Would appreciate any news on Mikael D’haguenet

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

The New kid on the block makes his seasonal appearance tomorrow at Carlisle over a trip way too short! A trip to Newbury will then be on the cards for the Hennessey Gold Cup over an ideal 31/4m! Albertas Run will
    then be seen as a creditable pretender to Denman/Kauto"s throne!! Come March he will be around the 10/1 mark for glory so snap up any 33/1 thats available still now! He could surprise a few people this season, as Cheltenham is his favourite course! settles,stays, travels, jumps and quickens! 3rd to the big 2 would be no disgrace! but i think he could be in the shake up!

This is the post that Kicked off this thread a couple of years ago,admitted

Albertas run

to this day doesn"t look a Gold Cup horse but he"s been a bloody good one to me,backing him at 90"s down to 25"s for the Ryanair rates as high on my list of achievements as any! Trevor Hemmings has a natural successor to Albertas run in the shape of

Burton Port

,i like everything about this 6yo,particularly his jumping!He is not the biggest of horses but is athletic and i see a bright future,i have had a little on at 70"s and a little more on at 44"s for the Gold Cup! Obviously with the likes of Somersby,Mikael d"haguenet,Pandorama,Weird Al and Mad Max to throw in the mix with the already established stars Kauto,Denman and Imperial Commander,next years Gold cup is already on my mind!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

A bit of a stab in the dark. But I’m sure several will put me right if I way off the mark!

What about Weird Al? Too young?

Any news on the fitness and well being of said animal?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 374 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.