The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP 2009 and 2010

Home Forums Archive Topics CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP 2009 and 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 623 total)
  • Author
    Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

3yo Monjeu?

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Fist – i’ve had the discussion about bridle horses with a very good friend of mine a few times over the years. Her reaction was always "it don’t matter what he finds off the bridle if he never comes off it" – tbh the only horse i’ve seen who I could say would possibly fit into that bracket is Denman.

Denman was off the bridle in the Gold Cup after the last he was off the bridle in the Lexus was he not.

Kauto Star wasn’t a shadow of himself in the Gold Cup and it had nothing to do with Denman

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Thats your opinion only, and if thats your gut feeling then fair enough.

I disagree – but would concede that i thought Kauto Star looked much, much, better in his 1st outing the other day than in last seasons Old Roan and it set my mind ticking over a bit.

• Total Posts 2184

Great to see War Of Attrition continue on the comeback trail with an easy success in a rather facile contest at Thurles today. He’s some jumper of a fence in full flight.

Would be nice if he could develop into a realistic alternative in the Gold Cup. Would imagine either the Durkan or the Lexus will be next on the agenda if the leg is 100% in the morning.

batman
    • Total Posts 489

Great to see War Of Attrition continue on the comeback trail with an easy success in a rather facile contest at Thurles today. He’s some jumper of a fence in full flight.

Would be nice if he could develop into a realistic alternative in the Gold Cup. Would imagine either the Durkan or the Lexus will be next on the agenda if the leg is 100% in the morning.

on attheraces they highlighted some of his jumps he was 1 length down at one of the fences but absolutley winged it and jumped into lead, great comeback just hopes he stays in one piece dont think he can trouble the PN horses but good to see him back..

tomsk
    • Total Posts 25

Be nice if he did, but will War of Attrition ever run in GB again, bearing in mind he has a potentially gammy leg and ground is softer in Ireland?

• Total Posts 2184

tomsk

Considering that Wetherby was very much on the agenda until late last week I’d imagine that they’ll have him over to England at some stage this season all things being equal.

If he stays sound and his form doesn’t tail off drastically I would be amazed if Cheltenham wasn’t in the back of their minds. The chances of getting properly quick ground there for the festival nowadays are quite remote I would imagine.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

WOA surely needs good ground to show his best, don’t understand the point about soft ground in Ireland?

• Total Posts 2184

Think Mouse is worried that firm ground might cause the injury to flare up again (Reason why he didn’t go to Wetherby). Genuine good jumping ground should be fine for him though. Always been a much better horse on better ground.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

He won a mediocre race today in, for me, none-too-impressive fashion and I can’t see him troubling the places in this year’s Gold Cup. I would imagine that he’s up to winning a competitive graded race of some kind, but the likes of even Exotic Dancer and Neptune Collonges are beyond his capabilities.

Nice to have him back though.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Thats your opinion only, and if thats your gut feeling then fair enough.

I disagree – but would concede that i thought Kauto Star looked much, much, better in his 1st outing the other day than in last seasons Old Roan and it set my mind ticking over a bit.

Hopefully if he can continue winning like that he’ll get everyone’s minds ticking over and we can have another exciting run up to the big showdown.

In hope Denman comes back with a bang and we can all look forward to an even better race in the new year.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Completely agree.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Bit off the subject but I was just cruising u-tube and found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV5cpc2L … re=related

I haven’t seen these two races in 40 years so many thanks to the poster.

It’s a reminder of how much we can all get carried away. Keep in mind how tired both Denman and Kauto Star were at the end of the Gold Cup when you watch it, especially the second race.

Really does make you realise why he was rated 212. Unbelievable peformances

Alchemist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

Not a month in and we have the old Arkle saga beling dragged out again. Yawn. Cue the responses……..

Personally I cannot have this whole Arkle thing, never have, never will (whilst not trying to suggest that he was not a very very good horse). To mind there is something askew in these figures and nothing will convince me otherwise.

Thats me finished with this tired (imo) old discussion.

bahram
    • Total Posts 66

Hi
    I’m new so forgive me if you’ve done this before.
    Burrough Hill Lad won a Gold Cup then won a Hennessy before scrambling home in a King George that ended up a match.
    He then suffered injury and was never the same again.He was a fantastic racehorse.
    Bregawn won a Hennessy and then a Gold Cup.The following season he was never the same horse and ended up with a Timeform double squiggle.
    Denman has won Henessy and GC and low and behold he has a heart problem.The horse is very unlikely to ever be the same horse we saw last season.The trainer has told us he has a problem but we don’t want to hear the truth so we are pretending the trainer has a magic wand.Even the trainer doesn’t want to believe it, but Denmans best is behind him.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Not a month in and we have the old Arkle saga beling dragged out again. Yawn. Cue the responses……..

Personally I cannot have this whole Arkle thing, never have, never will (whilst not trying to suggest that he was not a very very good horse). To mind there is something askew in these figures and nothing will convince me otherwise.

Thats me finished with this tired (imo) old discussion.

That’s about the most idiotic ignorant post I have ever read on here……not worthy of any other responses. Other than you could be right and all the jockeys trainers handicapper sports jounalists and punters of the time got it wrong..Yawn!!! is right go back to bed and give up racing mate you obviously don’t have a clue about the game

• Total Posts 2184

Have to agree with you there Fists. Absolute freak of a horse and the stats prove it. To win an Irish National giving your nearest rival 2 1/2 stone is a phenomenal achievement.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 623 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.