The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham 2010

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 227 total)
  • Author
    chelt king
    • Total Posts 30

Yeah i know the horse is bin aimed at the Arkle m8 but all the evidence ive seen with the horse last season he seems to get himself behind in the top 2 mile races.. i really feel the horse hasnt got the pace to lay up with the top horses at the beginning off 2 mile races i feel this was proven wen he was beat by Binmy by a country mile and CW.I really feel the horse needs a steap track to proof his best form and a really fast 2 miles if the arkle is run at slow pace i really feel the horse will struggle lots but if he gets the pace that a Arkle is norm run at he should be ok…..I would rather see him jump a fence before i back him really and also i feeel he may get turned over at short odds before the Arkle because of lack off pace the track etc and im hoping to get a bigger price during the season

How about this for antepost bet maybe CAJ runs in the arkle if he does ok makes a chaser how about backing him for the Gold Cup next year where i feel the trip will be right up his street and if he does make a chaser after the Arkle if hes staying on really well again i may invest a few quid after the race on him in the Gold cup

I did this on Kicking King wen he ran 2nd in the arkle me and my mate walked down to corals i told him the nite before i fancy it to run really well in the gold cup and we had 20 quid each on him for the gold cup at 50s wen we came to get are money the following year they was over 1 hour finding the ticked we put it on that long before the race so arkle runners can go on and win the cold cup and maybe CAJ can?

chelt king
    • Total Posts 30

I was just wondering what race VPU will be aimed at this year Because the horse runs so well at cheltenham if you can find the race the horse is gonna be aimed at early in the season you can get decent prices i had sum 5/1 last year for the Ryanair.

And i feel thats the most likely race they will go with the horse again but in my heart i would luv him to have a crack at the Champion Chase again i know he got beat e easily the last time the two met….but the horse proved he can beat MM and feel MM struggled in ireland i feel they will go for the Ryanair but if MM comes back and does run poorly they may switch and give the QMCC sum thought again IMO

• Total Posts 2184

Hi Chelt never too late to grab some of the 12’s on Crack Away Jack. I’m surpised you think he doesn’t look like a chaser. First time Ruby sat on him he said he was a real chasing type and Emma has already made up her mind the horse will be aimed at the Arkle. There’s no chance of her changing her mind on that IMO.

The horse won the Fred winter and 4th in the Champion Hurdle and will be one of the best hurdlers to run in the Arkle for along time if he makes the grade.

Accordion Etoile was 4th in the ’05 Champion Hurdle before going over fences. Went off 7/1 for the ’06 Arkle and fell down the back straight. Remember it well because he was one of my biggest ever bets at Cheltenham. :cry:

Recouped my losses at Punchestown though!

The Arkle is a long way away but it’s safe to say that Willie Mullins could hold the key to the novice chasers. Whatever route he plots for Mikael D’Haguenet, Fiveforthree and Cousin Vinny will have a big influence on the antepost markets. I’d say if we can assume that the ground at Cheltenham will be similar to the last couple of years then Mikael D’Haguenet will be aimed at the Arkle. The way Fiveforthree won in the Stayers Hurdle at Punchestown in deep ground suggested to me that he’ll be at his best at 3 miles.

Hope we see Captain Cee Bee back over fences next season. Class animal but he is very ground dependent and he’s quite a fragile horse. It will be interesting to see if Henderson (or whoever :wink: ) sends Punchestowns over fences. I’m also still a big Sicknote Europe fan (for my sins) and I hope he can put it all in over the larger obstacles.

Roll on October/November!

• Total Posts 2440

I was just wondering what race VPU will be aimed at this year Because the horse runs so well at cheltenham if you can find the race the horse is gonna be aimed at early in the season you can get decent prices i had sum 5/1 last year for the Ryanair.

The decision won’t be made until Voy Por has got a few runs under his belt next season.

mr forecast
    • Total Posts 227

ok

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Mr Forecast……..can you please remove this Newmarket-related pi*sh from the Cheltenham section.

Good man.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Mikhael D`Hauguenet will surely win the Arkle if he contests it. Nailed on.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I would think that’s a very big if.

Kauto Star and Denman will both be 10 years old this coming season and will be getting a bit long in the tooth by 2011 and the chances of Kauto Star retining his speed at that age and winning what could be his 4th victory in the Gold Cup must be fairly slim.

I would think Mikhael D`Hauguenet will be kept to longer trips and be aimed at the RSA with a view to winning the 2011 Gold Cup.

There’s a funny statistic regarding Balmore winners. No winner has ever won the Arkle or the RSA but it has produced 2 Champion Hurdle winners and a Gold Cup winner in Davy Lad.

The RSA itself though has produced at least 6 Gold cup winners plus the luckless Tied Cottage.

Looking at the 2 races on one hand you have Crack Away Jack Osana and Sizing Europe all top class hurdlers on their day with bags of speed heading for the Arkle and horses like Punchestowns and Fiveforthree being possibles for the RSA.

I don’t remember when 3 such prominent champion hurdle contenders all went chasing at the same time ahey all made the grade over fences the Arkle could end up the most competitve for years.

For me Crack Away Jack has the look of a chaser, Sizing Europe loooked the happiest he’s been for along time when hacking up in his first chase and if Osana jumps fences as well as he did hurdles he could end up a brilliant front running chaser.

The RSA has a much easier look to it and Mullins will already be thinking Gold Cup for Mikhael D`Hauguenet. He stays really well and has a similar turn of foot to that of Kauto Star, in the sense it’s pretty instant, but there would be no sense taking on the 2 mile speedsters.

If his long term target is the Gold Cup it would be more educational for the horse to be learning his trade, where the pace is a bit more sedate, over the longer trips. .

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

You may be right . Kauto finishes his opposition between the last two fences with his surge of speed. But Mikhael I think will be a more resolute galloper,he has the turn of foot which can devastate the opposition,but I see him keeeping it up for longer.

• Total Posts 2184

Anyone know what the story is with Karabak (Gaz)???

Is the plan to stay over hurdles or is he going chasing? I was having look at the Stayers Hurdle market and I might consider having a few bob on him if he is staying over the smaller obstacles. He looked made for three miles with the way he was staying on at the end of the Ballymore last year. Hoping King will give him another year over hurdles and have a crack at the Stayers before going chasing the year after á la My Way De Solzen.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Should I start a ‘Cheltenham 2010 section and consing the best of 2009 to the archive?

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Aye, go for it.

• Total Posts 2184

Bring it on!

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Aye, about the end of February, Corm. :evil:

Colin

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

Fist,

The double has been done – The West Awake won the Sun Alliance Novice Hurdle and Sun Alliance Chase in consecutive years in the late 80’s.

But it’s certainly rare

AP

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

What they been feeding you in Swindon AP? :lol:

The double in question is the Arkle and the Gold Cup which only Alverton has acomplished. Jonjo never rode him in the former but reckons he could have won it without a horse that year :lol:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Aye, about the end of February, Corm. :evil:

Colin

Now now Colin don’t be a spoil sport the more we debate the more we think the more we think the more we :shock: forget it I forgot what I was thinking :lol:

Get it started Please corm it’s something to yak about between the big races on that "how to get skint in one easy lessson" flat racing

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 227 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.