The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham 2010

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 227 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 4293

There’s already a market for the Champion Hurdle on Betfair.

The ones I would be interested in, if I was betting, would be

Binocular 7.6
    Medermit 21
    Hurricane Fly 8.8
    Crack Away Jack 18.5

I suppose I’m using the angle with Binocular and Crack Away Jack that 5yos are up against it, and will do better next year.

• Total Posts 2184

Celestial Halo’s a 5yo as well

Hurricane Fly NAP :lol:

• Total Posts 4293

I suppose I was thinking that Celestial Halo would either step up in trip or go chasing, but I suppose they may decide to stay in this division?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Hurricane fly would be a serious contender on todays form!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

With most of the current novice staying hurdlers likely to go over fences sooner rather than later (Diamond Harry, Bensalem, Mikael D’Haguenet etc), Gerald, connections may be tempted to see how far they can go with Celestial Halo over hurdles.

I’d love to know what connections of Jered said after the race, given that he doesn’t appear in any 2010 Champion Hurdle markets and has not been earmarked (at least not to my knowledge) as one to go chasing.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

With most of the current novice staying hurdlers likely to go over fences sooner rather than later (Diamond Harry, Bensalem, Mikael D’Haguenet etc), Gerald, connections may be tempted to see how far they can go with Celestial Halo over hurdles.

I’d love to know what connections of Jered said after the race, given that he doesn’t appear in any 2010 Champion Hurdle markets and has not been earmarked (at least not to my knowledge) as one to go chasing.

Was a decent enough run from Jered I thought, I’d like to be on him if he took on al eile at aintree.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I’ve backed Binocular already at 6/1, confident I’ll get a chance to at least lay off at shorter (soundness permitting, of course). There have to be doubts about Hurricane Fly’s temperament holding up given he’s a Montjeu and has already shown signs of getting buzzed. Nothing much seems to be coming out of the Supreme division (though Go Native really defies his breeding in how he travels) and we’re unlikely to have as frantically-run a Champion Hurdle as this year.

Jered would also be of interest if quoted, he’ll go very well at Punchestown next month if sent there IMO.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You can almost guarantee it, Friggo.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

With Binocular. I’ve had my day and did really well but only because he was 20’s plus at this time last year not 6’s.

On reflection or being a smart ass after the fact depending on how you look at it, there is no doubt Punjabi improved from last year. There could be more to come. On aline through him it wouldn’t surprise me if Alan King ran out of time with Katchit and if he had been 100% would have gone very close to retaining his title.

Punjabi was the strongest finishing horse in the race last year. The gallop up front was much stronger this year and that played right into his hands IMO. and that is why he won.

The problem is we have no idea what is going to be around next season. Celestial Halo might start running over further, The disapponting Osana and the overated Ashkabar may not be around and good old Hardy Eaustace showed he no longer has the ability to keep up a CH gallop for very long.

Something will always make the running but whether it will be as fast as yesterdays next year I doubt. Total guess of course.

If it turned out to be less of a test the Binocular speed would have to be a huge asset to him but then Hurricane Fly becomes a huge danger if he progresses to CH level.

If it was another test of Stamina it would be fair to say Tony McCoy and Nicky Henderson know Binocular better now and wouldn’t be afraid to be taking on the likes of Punjabi that little bit earlier.

The difference between Binocular and Hurricane Fly is Binocular has been there and we know what we are getting which makes him a worthy favourite. He’s a good bet but not a great bet.

I asked for and got 10/1 the double with Master Minded in an efort to reduce my outlay and 6/1 on his own. I have also backed him at 20/1 with Kauto Star in the King George.

My worry is the finished 3 in a line which probably means at this time Binocular is no Israbraq. That’s not to say he wont go on to great things

I also backed Kauto Star on his own for the 3rd time at 2/1 for his 4th King George. If he wins the Gold Cup that will dissappear rapid and I’ll immediatly back him for 2010. Follow him over a cliff as they say

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Hurricane Fly is the best hurdler in training – he’d have won yesterday by 8+ lengths in the opener and his form has been franked twice in a day in top class races.

10/1 is buying money :)

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

That is obviously only an opinion, Irish, he needs to actually beat the horses at Cheltenham before you can know that he is the best hurdler around. :wink:

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

There is no doubt in my mind that Binocular will be even better next year. He does get up the hill – which hits that old chestnut on the head. The sting was taken out of his finishing speed by the injestion of pace three from home – similar to injection of pac by Denman in last year’s Gold Cup, which broke Kauto Star’s heart – and ultimately his own.

Binocular’s defeat was a setback, but wonder mare Quevaga, who must be one for all Cheltenham notebooks next year, turned the mare’s race into a procession and helped yours truly finish the day on a very bright note.

The lot has now gone on some old nag called Master Minded. :?

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 4293

Just to confirm, from trainer comments, that Celestial Halo will have another go at the Champion Hurdle, and Crack Away Jack will go Chasing, with the Arkle in mind.

Osana will be upped in trip.

• Total Posts 1415

Hurricane Fly seems to be the new Binocular the new wonder horse and cert for next years race. Its rarely that simple we should’ve all learned that by now.

Next years race at this stage is wide open as far as I can see.

Crack Away Jack I predict will have a similar problem over fences as he does over hurdles he has to have a blistering gallop and a really searching two miles. He’s bound to find one or two too good in the Arkle isn’t he?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

The difference between Binocular and Hurricane Fly is that HF’s form suggests he’d have romped home in the Supreme Novices whilst Binocular was beaten :)

• Total Posts 4293

In addition to the obvious Cooldine, I’d have a keen eye open for Siegemaster as well ( for the Gold Cup).

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

The difference between Binocular and Hurricane Fly is that HF’s form suggests he’d have romped home in the Supreme Novices whilst Binocular was beaten :)

True, but his form wasn’t at Cheltenham… Binocular should of romped home yesterday judged on the Ascot performance :roll:

Medermit @ 20’s looks good to me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 227 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.